Bought a 92FS... Love it. Who carries this and what rig do you use??

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

Bought a 92FS... Love it. Who carries this and what rig do you use??

Post by Scott in Houston »

The subject says mostly all.

Looking for input on those who carry the Beretta 92FS.
It’s a big gun compared to the G19 that I carry most of the time.

I’m still interested in carrying so curious what those of you who carry this gun use as a holster and IWB or OWB?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Bought a 92FS... Love it. Who carries this and what rig do you use??

Post by Liberty »

Congratulations a very fine handgun.

I don't carry it that often and mostly in the cooler weather. I have a Blackhawk Serpa Sportster. Good retention and carries the weight evenly. I will rarely carry this set up openly, mostly with a cover garment. The holster is pretty bulky, but easy to draw, although a PIA to remove the holster and gun together. This holster has received a lot of criticism due to some safety concerns. The retention release is considered close to the trigger. however during a draw ones trigger finger is extendesd and will come to rest on the disassembly button.. I practice drawing a lot with this and my trogger finger comes to a natural rest on the disassembly button. All this is from a right handed 3:00 draw. YMMV

I occassionally carry using an Uncle Mikes Nylon Velcro contraption in a SOB IWB carry. There is a snap configurable strap for retention. This is a cheap holster and I wouldn't reccomend it for everyday carry. It works out well If I'm going to be on my feet and I want a discreet carry for this big gun. This is my preferred holster for car carry on trips. I wedge mine between my seat and the console.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Thank you! I was considering one of the Blackhawks holsters as well.
The safety issue for this holster seems very negligible with the 92 anyway due to its external safety and very long first trigger pull.

It definitely seems very bulky for IWB. I’m so in love with this gun that it may inspire me to drop a few pounds (although I’m not particularly heavy now at 6’0” 180 lbs).

I think we are a rare breed who carries this gun today outside our military.
:tiphat:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I'm a big guy too. I was around 265 lbs when I first started carrying my 92 but I've lost some weight but still around 225. A good belt helps, although the Blackhawk isn't as demanding as some rigs. I rotate three guns into my daily carry. All of them are hammered fired DA/SA with a manual safety. Unfortunately, its a platform that has fallen out of favor with many of today's shooters. Striker fired and 1911 seem to be the 'in' guns. I think guns like the Beretta is a good compromise between the two. I like the safety features and the tactile feel along with the visual feedback of the hammer. I must admit the look and military background of the 92 has appeal. Most of all it's trustworthy. Its a good shooter too. The 5-inch barrel is sweet. It is big though and not a lightweight.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Yeah. The military background and Martin Riggs shooting the perfect smiley face at the range. :lol:

This gun is making me want to look into the Sig 229’s. Similar platform in terms of hammer fired, external safety and Long first pull. All those things used to have me avoid these guns but this 92 has me looking at it all differently!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't have a huge collection but I've stuck to the same platform for my regular carry, DS/SA .

Beretta 92 FS
Beretta PX4 SC 3" barrel my most often carry ..
Ruger P95 Stainless My first handgun and most trusted. Built like a tank and for some reason, I shoot this most accurately.

Although I carry the guns differently and often for different purposes. They function the same and the controls are pretty much in the same place. The safeties work in the same place and same direction.

I'd like to see the traditional DA/SA come back, too many newbies are picking out expensive and complex 1911's or 'Pro" striker fired guns and newbie is told, "The safety between your ears is good enough". No matter what gun we choose to carry familiarity is critical. We need to learn our guns. To draw and release the safety instinctively. To cock the hammer if our first shot is to be timed and carefully aimed. and to decock before holstering.

The military background of the 92 or M9 doesn't get the respect of the 1911s or the AR platforms. or even the M14. I think it's because its still in production. Nobody loved the M1 or M14 until they started to phase them out. The introduction of M16 made the M14 look wonderful. The Beretta M9 created nostalgia for the old Colt 1911. The AR platform has been around long enough and through enough iterations that it has created nostalgia, ( although I don't see much nostalgia or love for the original jamomatic styles AR15) I also think there might not be a lot of respect for the Beretta as a military firearm. The shortcoming of the M9 of course isn't in the weapon but of the ammunition. 9MM ball just isn't an ideal load for a sidearm millitary or civilian.
Liberty''s Blog

equin

Post by equin »

I had a 92FS and loved it. Very accurate, easy to maintain and disassemble. It ate any kind of ammo I fed it using Beretta brand mags. I reluctantly sold it to fund something else. I may save up enough to buy another one. Anyway, I used to carry mine on occasion IWB with a leather/kydex hybrid holster and a good belt.
Ed

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

While I don't carry mine, I did use it for my LTC proficiency test. Worked like a champ!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Scott in Houston wrote:Yeah. The military background and Martin Riggs shooting the perfect smiley face at the range. :lol:

This gun is making me want to look into the Sig 229’s. Similar platform in terms of hammer fired, external safety and Long first pull. All those things used to have me avoid these guns but this 92 has me looking at it all differently!
When did they start putting safeties on P229's? :headscratch
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

equin

Post by equin »

Flightmare wrote:While I don't carry mine, I did use it for my LTC proficiency test. Worked like a champ!
Me too! Also used it at an IDPA match.
Ed

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Pawpaw wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:Yeah. The military background and Martin Riggs shooting the perfect smiley face at the range. :lol:

No external safety on 229's. Maybe OP mistook the decocker for safety?

Topic author
Scott in Houston

parabelum wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

No external safety on 229's. Maybe OP mistook the decocker for safety?
Yes. That is what I meant. I've only shot a 229 once also...

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

My first handgun was an S&W M59 which is DA/SA with a safety/decocker and I never have had a problem shooting it pretty decently. My subsequent handguns have all been striker fired though I've considered going back to DA/SA with a CZ or a Sig. It's hard to beat the S&W Shield though as an EDC gun.
Psalm 91:2

equin

Post by equin »

I got used to the 92FS DA/SA with dry fire practice. My other carry gun is the now-discontinued SW 3913 that’s also DA/SA.
Ed

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I became a fan of Beretta the first time I shot one back in 2010. A local car guy put a Keltec P-11 up for sale, & I agreed to buy it. We met at the range so I could test fire it. He also brought his commercial M9. I bought the P-11 & told him that when he was ready to sell the M9 to let me have first dibs. Later in the year he let me borrow it to use for qualifying for my Commissioned Guard license & CHL. A few months later he let me buy it from him.

Now I have & have had several 92/96’s, a few Cougars, a few Cheetahs, had a Jaguar, have a Bobcat, a Neos, & a PX4. My current favorite to carry is a MiniCougar in .40, it often carry an NP3 coated 96G Centurion. I have even carried my Billennium a few times :) I’ve gone through several holsters. The ones that seem easiest to carry are leather & have 2 loops that hold the gun close to me. I’ve got a few SERPAs, some Bianchi, some Safariland, & even a big green military M12 flap holster :)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”