The perfect "truck gun"

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The perfect "truck gun"

Post by AF-Odin »

My idea of a "Truck Gun" is a reliable rifle that will see a lot of getting banged around (so should not worry about dings and scratches), a caliber that will take care of 2 legged as well as four legged critters, reasonably accurate out to 100 meters, and a reasonable magazine capacity.

For me this has translated into a Yugo SKS (picked up back when they were REALLY cheap) with an aftermarket stock, bayonet removed, an aftermarket muzzle brake, nylon sling, and an in-expensive red-dot. The 7.62x39 round in a 10 round magazine fits my requirements. If it should turn up missing or at the bottom of the lake, no great loss.

This solution may not fit everyone's requirements for a Truck Gun, but it is great for mine. :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Captain Matt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:What's the problem you're trying to solve that calls for more than your EDC? Is a coyote nosing around your chicken coop? Are you opportunistically harvesting game? Is there an antifa mob between you and home? Did the balloon go up and you need to bug out without going home first?
The balloon goes up, I’m going home first. I HAVE to. I’m a husband, father, and grandfather, and we’re under one roof. I have responsibiliities, and I’m not going to abandon my family.
I hope your 18" barrel lever action truck gun is up to the task, whatever shape it takes. :tiphat:
"hic sunt dracones"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Captain Matt wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:What's the problem you're trying to solve that calls for more than your EDC? Is a coyote nosing around your chicken coop? Are you opportunistically harvesting game? Is there an antifa mob between you and home? Did the balloon go up and you need to bug out without going home first?
The balloon goes up, I’m going home first. I HAVE to. I’m a husband, father, and grandfather, and we’re under one roof. I have responsibiliities, and I’m not going to abandon my family.
I hope your 18" barrel lever action truck gun is up to the task, whatever shape it takes. :tiphat:
Actually, my truck gun is an AR (when I actually keep a gun in the truck), but I was agreeing that a carbine barreled lever action 30/30 would make an inexpensive and effective truck gun for most uses.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 2

Post by locke_n_load »

Built a 10.5" AR pistol as cheap as I could. Sits in a tennis racket case under the back seat in case my Glock isn't enough. Shoots all the same ammo my duty rifle does. Heck, these days, you could build an AR pistol in 9mm pretty cheap too (back then those were expensive) and have it shoot glock mags.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

My truck gun is either an Auto Ordinance M-1 .30 Carbine or a Uberti 1873 .44-40 WCF Carbine. Both very small, very simple to operate carbine rifles that will do what you need them to do.

billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

My favorite truck gun is my little rossi 357 Mag Lever action. with the 16 inch barrel its short fast handling and packs a punch. Its accurate out too 75 yards easy... :thumbs2:
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Any AR or AK with a folding stock. Mine is a Yugo Zastava M70 underfolder with a 20 round mag, 7.62 firepower in a compact package.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”