Straw Man Query

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Straw Man Query

Post by skeathley »

When I retired, my company bought a Dan Wesson 1911 and gifted it to me. No paperwork involved, and it is quite legal.

I was expecting a cake.

:cheers2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Unless things have changed in the last 10 years. If you are buying a firearm to gift to someone who can legally own and possess a firearm, then the answer to the question on the 4473 form, "are you buying the firearm for yourself" is yes, because you plan to use it as a gift from you. IANAL
This is my understanding as well.
I bought my wife a gun for Christmas a few years ago.

I believe (my opinion) that a straw purchase would be if someone gives you the money and you buy the gun for them (which would require you to make a false statement on the 4473).

I recall a story from a year or two ago where a LEO got in trouble for buying a Glock for a friend using his LE discount because the friend wrote him a check before the gun was purchased. That's a no-no. Any arrangement where the gun is purchased with the intention of "selling" it on to another person immediately after the purchase is a no-no, regardless of when the second - sale money changes hands.

IANAL. Just my opinion.
You're correct about the case of the LEO using his discount for his friend. He was convicted I believe.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

puma guy wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Unless things have changed in the last 10 years. If you are buying a firearm to gift to someone who can legally own and possess a firearm, then the answer to the question on the 4473 form, "are you buying the firearm for yourself" is yes, because you plan to use it as a gift from you. IANAL

I believe (my opinion) that a straw purchase would be if someone gives you the money and you buy the gun for them (which would require you to make a false statement on the 4473).

I recall a story from a year or two ago where a LEO got in trouble for buying a Glock for a friend using his LE discount because the friend wrote him a check before the gun was purchased. That's a no-no. Any arrangement where the gun is purchased with the intention of "selling" it on to another person immediately after the purchase is a no-no, regardless of when the second - sale money changes hands.

IANAL. Just my opinion.
You're correct about the case of the LEO using his discount for his friend. He was convicted I believe.
What amount of time has to elapse before selling? I had a unique situation several months ago. Purchased my wife an XD9 sub compact for an EDC. She realized after a trip to the range that I was not there to load for her that she could not rack the slide herself. We sold the gun to a very good friend (CHL holder) and bought her another. Total time between sales was 2 weeks.

On another note, I have bought each of my kids and their spouses a gun of some sort over the years for Christmas.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TVGuy »

RPBrown wrote:
puma guy wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

IANAL. Just my opinion.
What amount of time has to elapse before selling? I had a unique situation several months ago. Purchased my wife an XD9 sub compact for an EDC. She realized after a trip to the range that I was not there to load for her that she could not rack the slide herself. We sold the gun to a very good friend (CHL holder) and bought her another. Total time between sales was 2 weeks.

On another note, I have bought each of my kids and their spouses a gun of some sort over the years for Christmas.
I've never seen a certain amount of time quoted. It is more about the buyer's intent at time of purchase.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

TVGuy wrote:I've never seen a certain amount of time quoted. It is more about the buyer's intent at time of purchase.
:iagree: The LEO who got busted committed fraud. He acted as a middle man with the P2P sale arranged before he bought the gun from the FFL and lied on the 4473. Either it was a strawman purchase or he was in the business of dealing guns without having a FFL.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
Wysiwyg101

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

I wanted to say thank you for all the responses. My course seems much clearer now. From the responses I can go two different routes. If the seller is willing to sell to me he can and I can then gift it to my friend. The only money to change hands would be from me to the seller. Or, I and the seller can take it to an FFL dealer and fill out the Form 4473 and then after that I can gift it to my friend. Again, the only money to change hands would be from me to the seller and from me to the FFL dealer for his fee.

But, the gifting aspect is good to go as long as my friend does not give me any money for it. I'm good with that.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

As stated before, it is all about intent. If you actually intend to put it into your personal inventory or give as a gift without an exchange for money or other compensation for the gun, then it is legal. If you buy it with the intent to move it to another person in exchange for some compensation, then it is not legal.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

All this and I'm just sorry we're not better friends! :biggrinjester:

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Not quite Wysiwyg101. The operative term, as I remember from when I was selling firearms, is "Are you the actual transferee/buyer..." If he is not paying for the firearm he is not the buyer. Contrary to what has been said here, I was taught that the person paying has to fill out the 4473. I'm not saying this is correct, it's just what I was taught. I've even had to have the payer fill out the form when I knew he was giving the gun to the person next to him (DPS officers). Knowing it was a gift made it completely legal. Having someone pay for a gun someone else is filling out the form for was not allowed, even if I knew it was above board. If audited by the BATF I could not legally correlate one person's payment with another's 4473 form.

IANAL, but that was my understanding. If you really want to make this completely above board, buy the gun in your name, and then when gifted have the new owner fill out a 4473. That provided full transparency and a paper trail if the FFL is audited and it shows transfer of the firearm to the new, and actual owner.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 6

Post by cyphertext »

Maxwell wrote:Not quite Wysiwyg101. The operative term, as I remember from when I was selling firearms, is "Are you the actual transferee/buyer..." If he is not paying for the firearm he is not the buyer. Contrary to what has been said here, I was taught that the person paying has to fill out the 4473. I'm not saying this is correct, it's just what I was taught. I've even had to have the payer fill out the form when I knew he was giving the gun to the person next to him (DPS officers). Knowing it was a gift made it completely legal. Having someone pay for a gun someone else is filling out the form for was not allowed, even if I knew it was above board. If audited by the BATF I could not legally correlate one person's payment with another's 4473 form.
I was taught the same when I worked on the other side of the gun counter. All of those on here who say they paid but their daughter / son / whoever filled out the paperwork would not have been sold a gun by me, even if I believed them or knew them... one person paying with a different person filling out the paperwork is one of the signs of a straw purchase.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

bmwrdr wrote:
rotor wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:I would not buy a gun for somebody else with my name on the FFL transfer form. There is one question on the form which is worded like "do you buy the gun for yourself" which I answer with yes.
I agree with other forum members to pay for it but the firearm transfer has to be in the new owners name simply to abide the law and avoid any possible complications.
Selling a firearm I owned for a period of time is a different story but I would ask for a CHL/ LTC or if I know the buyer very well.

:tiphat:
If you look at the back of the 4473

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer:
For purposes of this form, a person is the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is purchasing the firearm for him/herself or
otherwise acquiring the firearm for him/herself. (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn, retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party. A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm

So, you are perfectly legal buying this as a gift if a 4473 is needed. No 4473 if buying from a private party.
That's right but I still would not go that route.
Why would you not follow the law and try to make the process more complicated? I swear gun owners are our own worst enemies when it comes to things like this... just read and follow the law!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Back to the original post. If the sale is between two private parties who are residents in the state of Texas and the buyer can legally own a firearm then the use of a FFL is not needed! A FFL can be used for reasons to qualm paranoia, other than that, just buy the firearm and gift it to your friend, who can also legally own and possess a firearm.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cyphertext wrote:
I was taught the same when I worked on the other side of the gun counter. All of those on here who say they paid but their daughter / son / whoever filled out the paperwork would not have been sold a gun by me, even if I believed them or knew them... one person paying with a different person filling out the paperwork is one of the signs of a straw purchase.
I was purchasing a couple of long guns at Acadamy a few months ago my wife was leaning over my shoulder and ensuring that I was filling out the form accurately and legibly. We were warned by the salesperson that if she continued to help me fill out the form that he would cancel the sale. Sheesh, as my wife, legally it's her money and her gun too.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Liberty wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
I was purchasing a couple of long guns at Acadamy a few months ago my wife was leaning over my shoulder and ensuring that I was filling out the form accurately and legibly. We were warned by the salesperson that if she continued to help me fill out the form that he would cancel the sale. Sheesh, as my wife, legally it's her money and her gun too.
Yep... that is how the feds see it. You are the buyer, you are the one filling out the form. Have a question, read the back of the form for directions.

As far as the feds see it, it is not your wife's gun legally... let's say your wife was a restricted person because of a felony conviction. Under federal law, you may still own a gun. It is yours, not your wife's. You will have to take steps to insure that she does not have access or possession of it though.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

cyphertext wrote:
Liberty wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Yep... that is how the feds see it. You are the buyer, you are the one filling out the form. Have a question, read the back of the form for directions.

As far as the feds see it, it is not your wife's gun legally... let's say your wife was a restricted person because of a felony conviction. Under federal law, you may still own a gun. It is yours, not your wife's. You will have to take steps to insure that she does not have access or possession of it though.
I've actually heard the exact opposite when buying guns with my wife due to community property laws.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”