Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Say Hello...

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

...To my new M&P 2.0 9mm FDE 5" barrel. Looking forward to taking this guy out on Saturday

Initial impressions
- It's lighter than I thought it would be
- The grip texture is very aggressive. Like, really, aggressive
- The overall feel of the grip/angle/balance of the gun feels good - granted I haven't shot it yet

I upgraded from a Taurus 809 to this one. My big driving factors for this were the reviews I've read coupled with another M&P fullsize that I shot a few weeks ago when we had the workshop for the N. Texas guys. I also have been very happy with my Shield. I'm shooting in an action match this weekend, so I should have more notes Sunday or Monday of next week.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Say Hello...

Post by oljames3 »

Good choice, TexasJohnBoy!

When you start looking for a holster, your pistol is almost identical to the M&P 9L. Here is a picture of my M&P Mod 2.0 in a Safariland ALS 7378 for the M&P 9L without thumb safety. That is what you have to enter into Safariland's holster finder to get it to show you a holster. ;-) I have been very satiffied with both the pistol and the holster.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

Please post an update! I get mine in the exact configuration next week!

Glock438715

Post by Glock438715 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:...To my new M&P 2.0 9mm FDE 5" barrel. Looking forward to taking this guy out on Saturday

Initial impressions
- It's lighter than I thought it would be
- The grip texture is very aggressive. Like, really, aggressive
- The overall feel of the grip/angle/balance of the gun feels good - granted I haven't shot it yet

I upgraded from a Taurus 809 to this one. My big driving factors for this were the reviews I've read coupled with another M&P fullsize that I shot a few weeks ago when we had the workshop for the N. Texas guys. I also have been very happy with my Shield. I'm shooting in an action match this weekend, so I should have more notes Sunday or Monday of next week.
Nice! As far as semi autos go ive only owned glocks... But ive been looking at the m&p 9c... I like how its kinda in between the size of the g26 and g19 .... I think i might get me one for Christmas haha
Proud Father. Proud Husband. Proud Texan.
I couldn't be happier.... :coolgleamA:

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

oljames3 wrote:Good choice, TexasJohnBoy!

When you start looking for a holster, your pistol is almost identical to the M&P 9L. Here is a picture of my M&P Mod 2.0 in a Safariland ALS 7378 for the M&P 9L without thumb safety. That is what you have to enter into Safariland's holster finder to get it to show you a holster. ;-) I have been very satiffied with both the pistol and the holster.
I checked the fit of my Safariland GLS 578 ProFit (Standard size) after I got home, and it works great in the holster. Kind of lucky -- I didn't think about the holster situation until I was walking out! I didn't even have to adjust the holster for a rough fit, but I probably will mess with it a bit more before Saturday.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I think you have some confusion over what ammo it will chamber. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I think you have some confusion over what ammo it will chamber. :lol:
Wait, it won’t chamber that 223 up top? "rlol"

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I have one of those 5” FDE M2.0, nice gun.

Now that S&W has released the Compact and Shield in M2.0 I have two more handguns to add to my collection.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:...To my new M&P 2.0 9mm FDE 5" barrel.
FDE?
Looks black to me
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Teamless wrote:
FDE?
Looks black to me
It's FDE, I assure you. That's probably lighting + a plywood backdrop messing with the colors.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Teamless wrote:
FDE?
Looks black to me
I was wondering the same, but it looks OD Green to me. I have an FDE CZ Scorp Evo 3 S1 that looks completely different and I was wondering if manufacturers have different shading standards, or if my laptop monitor was off. :lol:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

pbwalker wrote:
Teamless wrote:
FDE?
Looks black to me
I was wondering the same, but it looks OD Green to me. I have an FDE CZ Scorp Evo 3 S1 that looks completely different and I was wondering if manufacturers have different shading standards, or if my laptop monitor was off. :lol:
Cameras plus monitors plus ambient light messes with these things big time. For comparison, next to some black pmags, with flash:
Without flash:

These are all iPhone 6 S Pictures, fwiw

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

My S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5 inch looks a little different in different lighting. This picture shows my Smith with the BTA90 it replaced as my EDC.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The gun ran great yesterday, better than me if you get my drift :lol::
It's really great on the recoil and control aspect. I think the trigger is great as well, others may beg to differ. It's a night and day difference from the Taurus that I upgraded from. An Apex may be in its future, but not for some time I think, the reset and overall feel of the trigger are good for me. -Extremely- easy to control.

One stupid thing I did was put a medium-large back strap on it because it felt good standing still, but turns out it was too big. The RO that was running my squad at the match told me I was re-situating my hold in the first stage. I should have brought the other straps to swap out and get a feel for what was best. After coming home, I put the Medium back on it, and I'll try that the next time I go out.

The grip texture surprisingly wawsn't hard on my hands. I can keep a ridiculous grip on the pistol, but at the end of the day my hands weren't rubbed raw. My pinky finger on my right hand got a little sore, but that is probably due to my hold and getting used to a new gun, I don't attribute that to the pistol itself.

I'm very happy with my purchase. :anamatedbanana

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:The gun ran great yesterday, better than me if you get my drift :lol::
It's really great on the recoil and control aspect. I think the trigger is great as well, others may beg to differ. It's a night and day difference from the Taurus that I upgraded from. An Apex may be in its future, but not for some time I think, the reset and overall feel of the trigger are good for me. -Extremely- easy to control.

One stupid thing I did was put a medium-large back strap on it because it felt good standing still, but turns out it was too big. The RO that was running my squad at the match told me I was re-situating my hold in the first stage. I should have brought the other straps to swap out and get a feel for what was best. After coming home, I put the Medium back on it, and I'll try that the next time I go out.

The grip texture surprisingly wawsn't hard on my hands. I can keep a ridiculous grip on the pistol, but at the end of the day my hands weren't rubbed raw. My pinky finger on my right hand got a little sore, but that is probably due to my hold and getting used to a new gun, I don't attribute that to the pistol itself.

I'm very happy with my purchase. :anamatedbanana
TexasJohnBoy, I took my 20 year old son to a class at http://www.krtraining.com in preparation for his LTC class next weekend. I tagged along to get some more practice with my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch. I agree with you about the pistol shooting better than I do. I also switched the medium grip insert for the medium-large. I liked the medium-large and was not readjusting my grip, but I did notice that I could not reach the magazine release as easily as I wanted to. So I went back to the medium grip insert. Having an easy way to select between 4 options of grip inserts is very nice.

Have you replaced the sights? I'm going to install Dawson Precision sights. Until I get that done, I've blackened out the rear white dots and painted the front dot red. I've found that to be an acceptable improvement for now. The Dawson Precision sights have a more narrow front blade with colored fiber optic. Less than $100.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”