Charter Arms Explorer II, .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol with 10 shot magazine

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Charter Arms Explorer II, .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol with 10 shot magazine

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So I'm buying a Charter Arms Explorer II from a friend of mine this afternoon. It was marketed as a sort of "survival pistol", and it is basically the pistol version of the AR7 survival rifle. He's asking $150 for it, with two barrels - an 8" and a 10". Here's what it looks like: http://www.icollector.com/Charter-Arms- ... _i19090341. Estimated value in "near fine" condition is between $125 and $250. I'm not too worried about condition, as long as it is safe to shoot. My friend is a missionary home on furlough, and he's trying to raise a little money for another project, and asked me if I could help him sell the gun. I thought, what the heck, I'll buy it. If I don't like it and it's in decent condition, I'll just resell it and get my money back.

My friend says that the barrels simply unscrew from the action to change them, and the appearance of the gun gives the impression that's how it works. Does anyone have any experience with this model of pistol, and if so, what are your impressions? Any recommendations (besides offering to store it in your safe for me :mrgreen: ).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Re: Charter Arms Explorer II, .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol with 10 shot magazine

I picked it up after church, and got some pictures of it tonight. My friend included a strange left handed leather holster made by a G.A. Foli......which is ok, 'cause I'm a lefty.

Minute of Coyote at 30 yards is fine with me. Minute of Somethin' to Eat is alright too. In addition to the holster, it came with two 8-round magazines - one of which stores in the grip. I think for $150, it wasn't too bad of a deal. It's the kind of thing I'll probably just throw in a box in the back of my SUV and leave it there for the moment when I have to shoot a gila monster off a rock so I can sit down some place.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Charter Arms Explorer II, .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol with 10 shot magazine

Post by pbwalker »

What a great find on a unique firearm!

Do you know if Henry's mags will work with it?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

rotor

Post by rotor »

Very nice. I never knew they existed. I have one of the rifles that I bought at Western Auto for $49 MANY years ago. Has always worked well and been flawless. You can still get regular magazines and Ram-Line used to make a 25 round magazine listed as MAR 7025. They work very well (I have one) and I still see them for sale for $20 and up (way up). Google ram-line mar 7025. Makes a nice addition. Picture quality not very good but the info to get one if you want (used) is that they are Ram-Line MAR 7025

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

pbwalker wrote:What a great find on a unique firearm!

Do you know if Henry's mags will work with it?
I’m pretty sure it will take any mag that will fit the AR7. I’ve seen pictures of them with that same curved magazine that rotor posted the picture of. If you look at the Henry survival rifles, you can see that it is basically the same action: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/
So I would imagine that it takes Henry mags, and here’s a 15 round mag from Sportsman’s Warehouse: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... g?a=339231.

But those 25 round ram-line mags are going for $90 now, so I think I’ll just buy a couple of 15 rounders. http://www.armslist.com/posts/4416718/m ... -magazines

#TINVOWOOT

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

Dress up as Hans Solo, and strap it on :lol:

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

That's a cool pistol. Reminds me of a broomhandle Mauser.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

It definitely gives off a C96 vibe. Interesting little pistol.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”