Active or Passive Retention Holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JGon
Posts in topic: 1

Active or Passive Retention Holster

Post by JGon »

Just wondering what yall use for your daily iwb/owb carry and retention level active or passive?
JGon
USMC Dis. Vet
3x Afg Vet.
:patriot: EARNED NEVER GIVEN :txflag:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Active or Passive Retention Holster

Post by oljames3 »

JGon wrote:Just wondering what yall use for your daily iwb/owb carry and retention level active or passive?
Active.
I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch FDE openly, outside the waistband, in a Safariland 7TS ALS holster. I use the Safariland Quick Lock System so that I can easily take the holstered pistol off of my Kore Essentials gun belt.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I also use the 7TS ALS holster for my Glock 21SF with a TLR-1 light attached. I use the belt slide because I prefer a more straight up draw than the paddle offers.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

oljames3 wrote:
JGon wrote:Just wondering what yall use for your daily iwb/owb carry and retention level active or passive?
Active.
I carry my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm 5inch FDE openly, outside the waistband, in a Safariland 7TS ALS holster. I use the Safariland Quick Lock System so that I can easily take the holstered pistol off of my Kore Essentials gun belt.
Can that quick lock system be used with the GLS line,
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

For self-defense CC, just straight up Kydex custom. For OC a good retention with active trigger guard lock
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

TexasJohnBoy, the Safariland QLS works with any Safariland holster using the 3-Hole pattern for mounting.
http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... 93j2a1jt7s

There are two different types of receiver plates. Using the QLS 22, I can remove the holster with one hand. The QLS 22L is a little more secure. It has pegs positioned so that you must press in and left up on the locking fork to remove the holster. I have to use both hands to remove the holster when using the QLS 22L receiver plate.
http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... 93j2a1jt7s

Video of QLS (starts about 3:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdBZft9VLfw
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

OWB, no retention.

On occasion I OC, like when loading groceries into the bed of my truck, after I come out of Walmart or from wherever I need to remove my vest and load up. Or when, filling up with gas.

These occasions are rare enough that I'm not going to buy another holster. I use is a non-retention boltaron holster. (similar, but I think superior to kydex as there's no scraping when holstering or un...)

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

NSR tactical IWB. Passive retention as you can adjust the clamping screw to make the kydex clamp down on the gun. I don't ever OWB or OC so no reason to wear anything else. I do have the Sarfariland that was linked earlier for duty carry or classes that don't allow IWB during class.
NRA Benefactor Member

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

I don't open carry so for me it is an IWB leather holster with no retention

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Been carrying firearms for 30 years. I don't use retention devices because they are another unavoidable, inevitable mechanical failure point.

Then again, I do not put myself in situation where someone can take my firearm from me without permission. I also stay away from situations where I am upside down while carrying a firearm, even though mine has a drop safety.

Great question.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Passive for 98% of my carry needs. With a good belt and a good holster it isn't coming out unless I want it out. If I open carry, which is rare, I use active retention which is usually just a thumb snap.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”