AR15 help

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

AR15 help

Post by cmgee67 »

I need some advice here. I picked up an Anderson am15 optic ready rifle and it’s a comeplete flat top with a rail gas block that’s lower than the receiver. Should I just go ahead and replace with a low profile gas block? And if I do can I just get a rifle length polymer handguard from magpul? I’ve already got a set of magpul polymer flip ups that I’d like to use. If I do that how am I going to attract the front sight with out the small rail section raising it up too high?

Weg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR15 help

Post by Weg »

You could just buy a Troy enhanced drop in battle rail and leave the gas block the way it is, the Troy has a rail on top that will be flush with your flat top so you can use your MBUS sites, and replaces a standard handguard set using existing hardware. However, If is were me, I would pull the gas block, replace it with a low profile, toss the handguards and install a free floating guard with a full length rail at least on top. In the past when I built them like this, I just bought one that was long enough to cover the gas block depending on the gas system length, yours looks to be carbine length but I could be wrong ( looked at a picture on Anderson's Website). The other option is to bump around on the internet and see if you can find a flip up front site for that gas block that will line up with whatever flip up rear site you said you had. My 2 cents..

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphertext »

Your easiest solution is to buy a gas block height front sight. These are made to compensate for the difference in rail height. They are also metal, as polymer sights should not be mounted on the gas block.

You can't just simply put a low profile gas block and cover with a Magpul rifle length hand guard, as those hand guards rely upon the cap that sits behind the gas block to hold them in place. If you go low profile, you would need to also go with a free float set up.

I would advise against the Troy drop in mentioned above, as it simply replaces your existing handguards... while it does have a rail to mount your sight on, you would be moving your sight behind the gas block, shortening your sight radius...

Another option would be to just buy a quality optic and not worry about back up sights...

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

I went ahead and ordered a low profile gas block and 15” free float rail with Mlok slots. Prob solved.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”