Driving to California, what gun to bring along?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 3

Driving to California, what gun to bring along?

Post by ml1209 »

Just one. Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun? Revolver?

Of course, it has to CA-legal and all that.

Maybe a Ruger GP100 SS? Or a Marlin lever-action in .357? How about a Remington 870 12 ga? Glock 19 with 10-round mags?

Nuts
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Driving to California, what gun to bring along?

Post by Nuts »

I would just stay out of that state.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Nuts wrote:I would just stay out of that state.
:iagree:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Just be careful with them. They're not allowed in some places. They hold an infinite number of rounds, but no magazine.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Don't Go!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

Any normal handgun is fine as long as your magazines are 10-rounds or less. Don't worry about the approved gun roster or anything like that, that only applies to buying a gun in California from a dealer. I would stick to a handgun personally but you could bring a shotgun. I'd personally avoid bringing any type of AR/AK pattern rifle. You'd be good to go with a lever action. Those aren't considered assault weapons...yet...and you can even have more than a 10 round capacity for those because they have a tubular magazine.

And be sure you're transporting it legally:

"Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment."

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Psalm 91:2

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Just wait until they figure out that some .22 levers can take as many as 21 rounds.

There's at least one Henry that can take 15-.22lr, 17-.22 long, and 21-.22 short rounds.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bmwrdr »

Why would you bring a gun to California? In my opinion it is asking for trouble.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

SQLGeek wrote: "Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment."

I fail to see how I can defend myself with a gun that is inside a locked container. :headscratch

I have been to the nutjob state may times on vacation, but I will never go back willingly.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

Lynyrd wrote:
I fail to see how I can defend myself with a gun that is inside a locked container. :headscratch
The average Californian isn't allowed to defend themselves with a firearm outside of their home. :???:
Psalm 91:2

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

SQLGeek wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
The average Californian isn't allowed to defend themselves with a firearm outside of their home. :???:
In other words it is a bad idea to bring a gun to California and the chances to return with a felony charge are increased by doing so.

:banghead:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Lynyrd wrote:
SQLGeek wrote: "Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

I have been to the nutjob state may times on vacation, but I will never go back willingly.
I'm picturing a lockbox with a combination lock. One might have their gun in the box, slide locked back, with the box closed but the combination set and ready to open. Loaded mag in the door pocket (assuming it can't be in the gun). If a situation happens, retrieve gun from lockbox while left hand grabs mag, quick reload and you are ready to go. Just don't get out of your vehicle for any reason. You may also want to invest in some bullet proofing of doors and windows.

And to answer the OP's question, with a 10 round mag max is there really a better choice than a 1911? Since you won't be carrying it, just bring a full size steel model.

OP - MY condolences on being forced to visit such a dangerous place. My prayers are with you, and I wish you a safe return to the land of the free.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bmwrdr wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
In other words it is a bad idea to bring a gun to California and the chances to return with a felony charge are increased by doing so.

But bringing a gun does increase your chances of returning at all.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

... and it may be a good idea to contact a CA law office before leaving.

http://tracygraysonlaw.com/practice-are ... ns-charges

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bmwrdr wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

... and it may be a good idea to contact a CA law office before leaving.

http://tracygraysonlaw.com/practice-are ... ns-charges
You may also want to pre-emptively bribe the local government officials to avoid being jailed for something that is not illegal. Good advice in all third world countries, including California.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”