Recommend an AR at $700 max

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommend an AR at $700 max

Post by MaduroBU »

Building something cheaply is often predicated on already having experience and tools that are not cheap. Building your 4th AR is likely very cheap. Building your first is not.

apostate

Post by apostate »

:biggrinjester:

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Beiruty »

apostate wrote:Image

:biggrinjester:
Your Judas, is a killer. No forgiveness is requested. :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 2

Post by grim-bob »

Lot of recommendations for newer manufacturers in the AR space listed here. PSA, Springfield, Ruger, etc. Not to say they aren't good/great guns or even reputable companies that should be considered but most have only been in ARs for a few years or so... Personally, for a first AR I'd probably go with any of the many companies who have been doing it for a while... Smith and Colt are hard to argue against for a first gun that'll not disappoint and be reliable. Both have options in that price range. DPMS, Rock River, Stag, etc are also good priced options. Plenty of others who have been in the AR game forever also that can be great options but if he wants a standard setup any of the above have you covered.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jb2012 »

Beiruty wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
1911 Raptor wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Link?
Grab A Gun Ruger AR 499.00

https://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-black ... -30rd.html
That’s a steal
How is the Ruger in terms of accuracy and zhootability
Sorry just seeing this. I haven’t actually shot one, but I really like Ruger as a brand, and typically see those running for $699. It doesn’t have a free floated barrel, so I wouldn’t expect to stack bullets with it, however it should easily do 2 moa with most ammunition I would assume.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

My friend ended up ordering a S&W MP15 Soprt II less than $500 delivered.
Beiruty,

grim-bob
Posts in topic: 2

Post by grim-bob »

That was a good choice. Hard to go wrong there for a first AR
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Last night, I zeroed my friend's new SW Sporter-2 flat top rifle with UTG steel folding sights. The rifle was very sweet, trigger is very nice for a factory rifle. Very accurate at 10-25 yard with Iron sights. After zeroed, my friend was able to shoot in 2" circle at 10-25 yards.

I know that is not remarkable, but I am not an Iron Sight shooter. :thumbs2:
Beiruty,

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I confess to not reading the entire thread so it may have already been mentioned but just in case here's an excellent company to work with. Everyone there is a veteran. They do good work using quality components.

https://www.battleriflecompany.com/
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Another nice outfit is https://fungunswaco.com.

I believe most of their staff are veterans. They sometimes run the most wonderfully politically incorrect TV ads during the local 10 o'clock news, and they get some angry email in return. Apparently, some folks think it takes a lot of gall to show semiautomatic rifles and smiles in the same video segment. I can't think of a better setting for a 2nd Amendment advertisement than during a 1st Amendment presentation like the news, but I'm odd that way.

Their prices seem competitive, although I'm not an AR expert. If you pick out parts you want to build into a complete rifle, you get a nice discount off the price and they properly assemble the upper receiver, barrel, and bolt group for you at no charge, using good tools and craftsmanship. If you choose premium parts you hit $800 pretty quick, but I suspect you get a heck of a rifle out of the deal.

When I get the loot together for an AR15 of my very own, I don't think I'll price shop. I like the staff at Fun Guns, I like component-built guns (when done right), and I really like Fun Guns' attitude.

Imagine a day at the office at Black Rifle Coffee Company. Now imagine they sold firearms, not beverages, and they were just a short hop down the highway. If I end up paying a little more, I won't regret it, and I suspect I might actually save a little.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

treadlightly wrote:Another nice outfit is https://fungunswaco.com.

I believe most of their staff are veterans. They sometimes run the most wonderfully politically incorrect TV ads during the local 10 o'clock news, and they get some angry email in return. Apparently, some folks think it takes a lot of gall to show semiautomatic rifles and smiles in the same video segment. I can't think of a better setting for a 2nd Amendment advertisement than during a 1st Amendment presentation like the news, but I'm odd that way.

Their prices seem competitive, although I'm not an AR expert. If you pick out parts you want to build into a complete rifle, you get a nice discount off the price and they properly assemble the upper receiver, barrel, and bolt group for you at no charge, using good tools and craftsmanship. If you choose premium parts you hit $800 pretty quick, but I suspect you get a heck of a rifle out of the deal.

When I get the loot together for an AR15 of my very own, I don't think I'll price shop. I like the staff at Fun Guns, I like component-built guns (when done right), and I really like Fun Guns' attitude.

Imagine a day at the office at Black Rifle Coffee Company. Now imagine they sold firearms, not beverages, and they were just a short hop down the highway. If I end up paying a little more, I won't regret it, and I suspect I might actually save a little.
They do have some fun ads! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2XaZ3 ... 7c0e2VVavA
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

LDB415 wrote:I confess to not reading the entire thread so it may have already been mentioned but just in case here's an excellent company to work with. Everyone there is a veteran. They do good work using quality components.

https://www.battleriflecompany.com/
What AR are they selling at $700 max? Their website lists a base model that's a couple hundred over his budget.

ETA
Last edited by Nutcracker on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!
Kavanaugh is here to stay!

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Nutcracker wrote:What AR are they selling at $700 max? Their website lists a base model that's a couple hundred over his budget.
@ $499
Here: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/192093
Beiruty,

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”