GAAA... I'm so confused......

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 6

GAAA... I'm so confused......

Post by Tex1961 »

SO... I'm jonesing for a new pistol.... Due to selling some of my woodworking equipment I have some cash to play with.... I just don't know what I want... and it's driving me crazy... I have switched between at least 5 guns and 3 calibers over and over..

I have in my gun case pretty much my favorite pieces that I shoot on a very regular basis..

S&W model 66 stainless 357 with 6 inch barrel. Probably the sweetest shooting revolver that I have ever had the pleasure to hold.
Canik TP9 9mm which I use for range and amateur competition shooting.. Best trigger on a semi 9mm...
Ruger Mark 11 22lr. Arguably the top 22 pistol out there (my opinion of course)
Beretta 92, just nothing like a hammer fired Beretta.. But big and heavy...
and of course my Ruger LC9s that I carry... Sweet CC gun

I have been wafting between:
45 ACP... just because I don't have a 45.. But It bothers me to send a quarter down the range every time I pull the trigger.
Ruger mark 4 stainless hunter.. Gosh that is one beautiful piece of machinery... But $550.00 for a 22lr makes me wince.
Another 9mm... But I already have a 9mm that I absolutely love to shoot....BUT... I LOVE SHOOTING 9MM
Colt army replica, but most ranges won't let you shoot a black powder.
38 spcl in a 4 inch barrel.... ammo stil a lttle pricey though..

I go to the range on average of 4 - 6 times per month and on average run anywhere from 150 - 200 round per session... That's 600 - to 800 rounds per month... More if I do a competition shoot...

I'm just so confused... but i NEED another handgun.....

However... I am very open to most calibers and styles and manufactures....

OH, WHAT DO I DO..... :banghead: :confused5

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: GAAA... I'm so confused......

Post by RPBrown »

I think everyone should own at least one 1911. Doesn't matter caliber. Just my .02
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

RPBrown wrote:I think everyone should own at least one 1911. Doesn't matter caliber. Just my .02
:iagree: However, I'd choose one in .45.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

WTR wrote: :iagree: However, I'd choose one in .45.
Smith & Wesson just announced new Winter Promotion.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=90700
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Tex1961 wrote: I have been wafting between:
45 ACP... just because I don't have a 45.. But It bothers me to send a quarter down the range every time I pull the trigger...

I go to the range on average of 4 - 6 times per month and on average run anywhere from 150 - 200 round per session... That's 600 - to 800 rounds per month... More if I do a competition shoot...
If you are just buying a .45 (of any plastic variety) because you don't have one, save your money. However, if you are buying a 1911, then it's another story. I have yet to meet anyone that didn't really like shooting a 1911, regardless of caliber. And a 9mm 1911 is pretty sweet, in it's own right!

You wouldn't be shooting the .45 for all of your range time on every session, so the cost would be spread down quite a bit. And for someone shooting close to 1k rounds a month, you may be better served with a progressive press now and buy a 1911 later. You can easily load your own .45acp for $14/100, which is likely less than you currently pay for 9mm. (cheaper still if you bulk buy components.)

It's a great dilemma, either way! I wish I had the cash to struggle with your current decision! :cheers2:

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I'd echo the other comments on getting a 1911. Ruger makes a pretty sweet 9mm 1911 in the $700 range if you're looking for something a little less expensive. It's a sweet shooter.

I love my Kimber Pro Covert II for a .45. Came with CT grips, and it is built like a tank. Like every other Kimber, it took some time to break in. I thought I had a lemon the first trip out. Once you get a few hundred rounds through it, it's like 'buttah'. :lol:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Have you considered a pistol caliber carbine? They are a lot of fun to shoot, and the prices on AR-9's have really come down. I have an AR-9 SBR and a Kel-Tec Sub2K that I love.

Other than that, I'd consider a CZ P01. I love mine.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

So far enjoying the replies and some making me grin...

My 20 year old son who is also into firearms is also pushing towards the 1911 style as well. I may go that route but in 9mm... We buy in bulk so I run around 16 / 17c per round... I've thought about reloading but honestly it doesn't do anything for me...

My problem with the 45 is like the old lays potato chip commercial.. You can't eat just one... If I go the range I'm going to go through at least 1 box of 50.. I'd like to say that I won't.. but I know me ....

flechero

Post by flechero »

Tex1961 wrote: My problem with the 45 is like the old lays potato chip commercial.. You can't eat just one... If I go the range I'm going to go through at least 1 box of 50.. I'd like to say that I won't.. but I know me ....
I hear you! I used to shoot 1or 2 boxes only... now that I reload (and buy components in bulk) I shoot 200-300 rds! :fire

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I will throw out a recommendation - if you don't own a Walther already, maybe consider a Walther PPQ - M1 or M2 style (personally I like the paddle release so I'm partial to the M1) - Its one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Also found out recently they make a competition version of the PPQ - http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/q5-match/
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I've been living on grabagun.com for the last few weeks... Best price and they are local to me so I can order and just swing by and pick up. I forgot the Dallas Market gun show is next Saturday. 1500 tables... Good excuse to walk off some of those extra Thanksgiving helpings... Maybe find an early Christmas present for myself.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Who won't let you shoot black powder? I shoot BP all the time, I even load my own 45LC with BP. I can understand an indoor range for all the smoke.

For the record, I also have a .45 1911 (WWII vintage, VN trophy)
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

oohrah wrote:Who won't let you shoot black powder? I shoot BP all the time, I even load my own 45LC with BP. I can understand an indoor range for all the smoke.

For the record, I also have a .45 1911 (WWII vintage, VN trophy)
Frisco Gun Range

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

A 1911 was never really a gotta have for me, but I always liked the model. I mostly liked it because of it's prominence in WWII and eventually wanted one because I have Garand, 1903 Springfield, and Enfield all from 1943-44. So far, that dream hasn't come true, but I did get a Colt GC Trophy last year.

However, I also have a couple Glock .45's. A .45 is definitely a gotta have, IMHO, in almost any configuration. I don't even own a 9mm yet and not sure if I ever will. .25 cents a round? Are you reloading? I don't know where you'd get it that cheap for retail. I'm thinking more like .33-.38 cents at best, but still worth it to me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

C-dub wrote:A 1911 was never really a gotta have for me, but I always liked the model. I mostly liked it because of it's prominence in WWII and eventually wanted one because I have Garand, 1903 Springfield, and Enfield all from 1943-44. So far, that dream hasn't come true, but I did get a Colt GC Trophy last year.

However, I also have a couple Glock .45's. A .45 is definitely a gotta have, IMHO, in almost any configuration. I don't even own a 9mm yet and not sure if I ever will. .25 cents a round? Are you reloading? I don't know where you'd get it that cheap for retail. I'm thinking more like .33-.38 cents at best, but still worth it to me.
Check https://www.wikiarms.com/group/45ACP. Great site if you're ammo shopping.

Example: $0.234 ppr here http://www.sgammo.com/product/cci/1000- ... -ammo-5230 or http://www.sgammo.com/product/45-auto-a ... ammo-sb45a
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”