Cheap guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 1

Cheap guns

Post by ml1209 »

These are two cheap handguns - a Rossi M88 .38 Spl and a Ruger P95 9mm. Both were obtained for less than $450, or the price of a used Glock.

Would you rather have these two or one mid-priced gun?

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Cheap guns

Post by bmwrdr »

I take quality over quantity anytime. If I need a gun for self defense I want to have peace of mind and know it is reliable. Regular cleaning, inspecting and shooting at the range will tell if a gun is reliable. If it is a cheap gun and reliable it is a good choice, if it is just cheap I'd say it should be disposed to make sure it doesn't get into the hands of a criminal or mentally ill person.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I think you have made a good deal. :tiphat:
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Can’t go wrong with that Ruger. Those are reliable solid guns. They may not be the prettiest but they work.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

While those two are not my favorite, I would still look at them as decent guns and not just cheap. Want to talk cheap guns, you could buy three HiPoints just about for the price of that Ruger "rlol"

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

cmgee67 wrote:Can’t go wrong with that Ruger. Those are reliable solid guns. They may not be the prettiest but they work.
:iagree: I still have my KP-89, first handgun I owned, very accurate. Can't bring myself to sell it even though I rarely take it to the range.
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. Those are both decent reliable guns. Ruger makes great quality solid guns. Rossi USA has worked hard to overcome the lower quality of the firearms that were produced in Brazil originally. So, I would not be afraid of owning and shooting either of those, and would probably take a two to one choice.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Pritchical

Post by Pritchical »

Anyone have an opinion on the Taurus PT111 G2? It was so cheap it came with a free revolver. I'm not terribly impressed with the action, but it fires every time I pull the trigger. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with it.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I wound not mind that Taurus as a range or a truck gun. Not a primary ccw though. Their revolvers are far better in quality.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

No. If price were my only consideration, then maybe. I would rather carry one pistol that meets my needs than two less expensive pistols that do not meet my needs.

I am not familiar with the Rossi, but I don't want to carry a revolver. I have some familiarity with Ruger and like their quality and customer service.

However, the P95 is a DA/SA pistol. My first pistol, which I still have and shoot, is a Tanfoglio BTA-90, DA/SA, 9mm. After carrying it for 3 years, I decided that the disadvantages of carrying a DA/SA pistol as my every day carry were too great for me.

My wife replaced her Ruger LCR .38 with a Walther PPS M2 LE. Meets her needs.

I want to carry a full-size, long sight radius, high capacity, American made, striker fired, modern auto-loading pistol. While I could carry my wife's LCR and my BTA-90, I find that the S&W M&P Mod 2.0, 9mm, 5inch, meets all my personal criteria. I shoot it well and carry it daily. Got it new for $450 + $15 FFL.

One reliable pistol that meets all my needs. One manual of arms. Works for me. Your mileage will vary.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

rotor

Post by rotor »

Pritchical wrote:Anyone have an opinion on the Taurus PT111 G2? It was so cheap it came with a free revolver. I'm not terribly impressed with the action, but it fires every time I pull the trigger. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with it.
I have one that stays in my truck. Not my favorite but it always works. Got it directly from Taurus as replacement for a recalled model.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bmwrdr »

Pritchical wrote:Anyone have an opinion on the Taurus PT111 G2? It was so cheap it came with a free revolver. I'm not terribly impressed with the action, but it fires every time I pull the trigger. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with it.
I shot one of my friends PT111 and actually liked it. Any gun is good if it is maintained and taken care for. Inexpensive doesn't mean bad quality and expensive doesn't mean reliability either.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I might be mistaken, so I don’t want to make a big deal about it, but I have a memory (which at my age could be imagined :lol: ) of a thread someone posted a while back here about their PT111 G2 that had some kind of major function issue....like it wouldn’t fire at all, or it would fire when it wasn’t supposed to. I really don’t remember the details, but it might be worth doing a search for mention of that model in threads of less than 1 year old.

It might yield information about what to be wary of, or what you can do to fix it if it happens to you.

Edited to add.... I just found that thread from last May: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=88291&p=1142160&hi ... 2#p1142160
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Cheapsk8

Post by Cheapsk8 »

I have a Rossi almost exactly like that bought probably early 90's. Never had a problem shooting it. Only thing I found is it did not like aluminium cased ammo they did not want to fall out easily after fired.

Mine is does not have a fully covered ejector rod like yours has. And still has the wooden grips. I keep thinking I want to go find some new grips for it
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

My Dad once told me " There are Vettes and Cadillacs. Neither will get you there any better than the Belair.

I don't know much about revolvers or Rossi, but I have owned a P95 and even qualified with it a couple of times. It shoots well and can be trusted to go bang every time. I have a couple of other more expensive handguns, but I don't shoot any of them better, nor trust any gun more. This all being said it's not everyone's cup of tea. Long DA trigger, heavy, and not very pretty. I won't ever get rid of it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”