Dressing Up your Guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Dressing Up your Guns

Post by howdy »

Have you seen handguns and rifles with white lettering on the slide. I am talking about the model number and registration numbers. Here is a video of how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOoCkDAfJ_4
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

JRG

Re: Dressing Up your Guns

Post by JRG »

Thanks for sharing the video. I always thought the coloring was done with a paint pen or fingernail polish.

Joe

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Is this what people mean when they talk about Lipstick on a pig?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Liberty wrote:Is this what people mean when they talk about Lipstick on a pig?
:iagree:
After 3 years of carrying my first pistol (Tanfoglio BTA90), I deiced I wanted a modern, long sight radius, large capacity, striker fired, American-made auto-loading pistol to protect myself and mine. I bought an S&W M&P Mod 2.0, 9mm, 5inch, in flat dark earth (only color available at the time) and got a Safariland ALS holster in which to carry it openly.

Then I got an engraved slide back plate with the crossed cannons of the US field artillery.

And to be able to distinguish one magazine from the other, I got engraved base plates.
Image Image

I told my wife that I was doing all this in order to protect her better ... and look good doing it. :biggrinjester:

Yes, all this does not make my pistol shoot better or me more effective. Yes, it is lipstick on a pig. However, it makes my already awesome pistol a little more awesome to me and that is all that matters.
Last edited by oljames3 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Aw, c'mon now.

Keep in mind how dangerous and how much damage wild hogs cause while still being mighty ugly. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

oljames3 wrote:
After 3 years of carrying my first pistol (Tanfoglio BTA90), I deiced I wanted a modern, long sight radius, large capacity, striker fired, American-made auto-loading pistol to protect myself and mine. I bought an S&W M&P Mod 2.0, 9mm, 5inch, in flat dark earth (only color available at the time) and got a Safariland ALS holster in which to carry it openly.

Then I got an engraved slide back plate with the crossed cannons of the US field artillery.

And to be able to distinguish one magazine from the other, I got engraved base plates.
Image Image

I told my wife that I was doing all this in order to protect her better ... and look good doing it. :biggrinjester:
I have considered things like that for either of my Glocks, but haven't yet because I don't go around showing any of my guns off and somethign like this would mostly only be for my eyes. Although, there are some really cool back plates.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

C-dub wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Image Image

I have considered things like that for either of my Glocks, but haven't yet because I don't go around showing any of my guns off and somethign like this would mostly only be for my eyes. Although, there are some really cool back plates.
Yes, all this does not make my pistol shoot better or me more effective. Yes, it is lipstick on a pig. However, it makes my already awesome pistol a little more awesome to me and that is all that matters.

The slide cover was just for me. I wanted to make my pistol uniquely mine. As I spent 34 years in the US Army Field Artillery, the crossed cannons insignia has a special, personal significance to me. The only folks who will see it often are my sons and my wife when they are shooting or cleaning my pistol. However, since I carry openly, others are likely to catch a glance.

I wanted to uniquely identify each of my four magazines so that I could tell them apart if one had issues. Again, as I carry openly, this would be readily seen by all. So, I wanted something other than colored dots. Works for me. I like it. That is all that matters to me.
;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I think the Lipstick on a Pig was more in reference to the cheap Taiwan made gun.

My issue wasn't the gun, but how often you would have to re-apply the chalk.. I guess on an air soft gun not so much but between the heat and action of the slide the chalk would start flaking off.. How embarrassing would that be at the range.

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Yeah Glock. Now if that was a M&P those would be fighting words. Just saying.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oljames3 wrote:
C-dub wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Image Image

The slide cover was just for me. I wanted to make my pistol uniquely mine. As I spent 34 years in the US Army Field Artillery, the crossed cannons insignia has a special, personal significance to me. The only folks who will see it often are my sons and my wife when they are shooting or cleaning my pistol. However, since I carry openly, others are likely to catch a glance.

I wanted to uniquely identify each of my four magazines so that I could tell them apart if one had issues. Again, as I carry openly, this would be readily seen by all. So, I wanted something other than colored dots. Works for me. I like it. That is all that matters to me.
;-)
I was thinking of buying a Springfield Armory 1911 just to get the crossed cannon grips, so I appreciate the desire. But for mags, I just do the following.

If I have any issues with a mag at the range, I put it aside while I fire my other mags through the same gun. If no other mags have an issue, then the offending mag gets a slash on the side of it with a magic marker. If I ever have any other issues, I complete the X with another slash and it goes to the drawer of miscellaneous gun parts, never to be seen again. So far, I have only had to do this with one 1911 mag, and 1 mag for a Taurus PT 24/7.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I've seen some guides on how to do something similar with Paint pens and/or nail polish - would be a bit more permanent. But I believe you have to use mineral oil or other such things to clean off the excess. I suspect if you used something like a toothpick or detail paint brush you might be able to keep the paint in the 'lines' better, but there is inevitably going to have some that get outside the 'lines'.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

I dont know what to make of this... :cryin :grumble

I thought this was going to be about scrollwork or bluing or something...

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Syntyr wrote:I dont know what to make of this... :cryin :grumble

Well, there's dressing up and then there's putting on the ritz!

It's not that I wouldn't own something like that one pictured. I think I would have it mounted and framed for displayed after shooting it once and cleaning it.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

C-dub wrote:
Syntyr wrote:I dont know what to make of this... :cryin :grumble

Well, there's dressing up and then there's putting on the ritz!

It's not that I wouldn't own something like that one pictured. I think I would have it mounted and framed for displayed after shooting it once and cleaning it.
Not sure I could bring myself to shoot something that pretty unless it was an emergency.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”