M&P Bodyguard 380 nuisance magazine releases

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

M&P Bodyguard 380 nuisance magazine releases

Post by rp_photo »

I got an M&P Bodyguard 380 earlier this year and it soon became my "everywhere where legal" carry.

One major issue I have with are occasional unintended magazine releases when carried in a pocket holster or a tactical belt case, where it sits in a hidden section behind the phone. To me, the mag release button could be a bit stiffer.

I've found some similar reports on Google, and am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with this with this or any other guns.

Are there modifications available?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: M&P Bodyguard 380 nuisance magazine releases

Post by puma guy »

rp_photo wrote:I got an M&P Bodyguard 380 earlier this year and it soon became my "everywhere where legal" carry.

One major issue I have with are occasional unintended magazine releases when carried in a pocket holster or a tactical belt case, where it sits in a hidden section behind the phone. To me, the mag release button could be a bit stiffer.

I've found some similar reports on Google, and am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with this with this or any other guns.

I bought one during the S&W Rebate but haven't carried it. I'll watch for that if I do. I pocket carry my current EDC gun Kahr PM40 most of the time.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I have the same issue - albeit not frequently.
I have not found a fix, but make a habit when I pull it from my pocket and bang the bottom of the mag, just in case
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I would not carry a pistol that might turn into a single-shot just when I need it most.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Diz

Post by Diz »

I carry two of these and have never had the problem with either one.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I'm going to look at my Bodyguard to check mag release pressure required. :shock:

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

I avoid any S&W product manufactured after the Clinton infernal lock.

:mad5

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

rp_photo wrote:I got an M&P Bodyguard 380 earlier this year and it soon became my "everywhere where legal" carry.

Buy a Glock?
:biggrinjester:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I checked the mag release on my Bodyguard. It doesn't seem particularly easy to depress and requires it to be almost fully depressed to release the magazine. I tried both supplied magazines but not the three OEM's I have purchased. I haven't pocket carried this pistol, so I'll see what happens when and if I do.

stars200

Post by stars200 »

I have one that I carry in a DeSantis Super Fly holster. I have pretty much carry it everyday for the last 5 years since it is easier to conceal than my other carry gun, at least it is at the office . I have had the mag release while in my pocket a few times, not often but enough that when I do stick a hand in my pocket I check the mag.
I really do not believe it is an issue with the gun itself but more of an issue if there was something else in my pocket. I carry it in my right pocket and the the mag release is against my leg, I do not see how the mag can release unless something works its way between the release and my leg when I sit down. I have tried to release the mag on purpose while in my pocket. The mag release has more travel, to release, than would be possible without anything foreign against it while sitting.

This was also the side I kept my key fob, no keys just the fob. Gun and holster in first and then the fob on the outside of my pocket at the bottom. I know this is not idea but on my left side I have a front pocket wallet and an extra mag in a holster along with a few other small items. I try to avoid carrying anything in my back pockets.

I am curious if you have anything else in your pocket when noticing the mag released.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”