Chronic Problems

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1wise1
Posts in topic: 2

Chronic Problems

Post by 1wise1 »

Disclosure: I've also posted this in the GlockTalk forum.. I need ideas.
Four years ago I bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit and assembled it on a new Glock 19 Gen 3 Lower. From the first box of ammunition to the latest box I have tried to run through it I have experienced at least one stovepipe and one or more failures to fire per EVERY magazine.
I think I have tried almost everything; multiple cleanings, over oiling, under oiling, single hand grip two hand grip and of course, different brands of ammo, with no discernible change in results.
The only thing I have not tried is changing springs. This was a brand new from the factory kit mounted on a brand new from the factory Glock 19. Was I wrong to assume they would work?
Over Thanksgiving I took a 16 year old and his mother shooting and everything we pointed down range went boom every time (including the .22 ammunition in 2 other guns) EXCEPT the Advantage Arms .22
Did I get a Lemon? Is this a quiet little secret nobody wants to talk about? Is there a simple fix everybody knows about except me? I await your diagnoses and wisdom.
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chronic Problems

Post by Mike S »

I'm thinking FTF/FTE's are an unfortunate side effect of a sub-cal device. Looking at some of the 5-star reviews online, even those who were thrilled with the same conversion kit you have reported a few FTF or FTE when using the recommended ammo (however, it wasn't every magazine like you are experiencing).

If you're using the recommended CCI MiniMags (40 grain round nose, not hollow points) from the manufacturer's website, & still experiencing that many malfunctions I'd contact them & ask for a replacement or repair. An occasional (ie, a couple per range session) might be normal for a sub-cal conversion; every magazine seems excessive.

You may already have this, but in case other's are curious the list of recommended ammo is here: http://advantagearms.hostasaurus.com/mm ... ecommended

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

It's the correct kit, the L.E. 19/23? They are ammo sensitive.

I've got a L.E. 17-22 kit I use in a Glock 34 for students. Runs great.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I once considered a .22 cal conversion kit, until I realized the cost of simply buying .22 pistol (for me a Browning Buckmark with a bull barrel) was roughly the cost of the conversion kit.

I bought the Browning.

Topic author
1wise1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 1wise1 »

My motives were good but the result has shown mixed success.
I was/am trying to use the 19/22 to "introduce" a Glock to my kids and grand kids. One of my daughters flinches so badly when shooting my 26 or 19 she doesn't even hit the target much less the body mass outline, about half the time... At this rate she will never consider carrying a Glock.
I am sure there's some limp wristing going on but the AA conversion stovepipes when I shoot it too.
One of the guys over on the Glock Talk forum offered some advice on ammunition (DO not use Thunderbolt) and make sure there's no oil in the firing pin channel. He said that helped but he got rid of his AA Conversion anyway. Before I decide to find a "bigger fool" I will try replacing some springs and check to make sure I am not running the early magazines... apparently the feed lips were too tall and replacements have been produced.
Thanks for your help .. I will appreciate any additional suggestions anyone may have. I'll get back to you.
Certified Glock Armorer
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Have you tried the master problem solver, Google?

advantage arms 22 conversion glock 19 problems

Lots of comments and even some repair suggestions.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”