Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dano
Posts in topic: 3

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Ammo

Post by Dano »

So I recently bought an HK VP9 for Home Defense & Concealed Carry. I have been getting used to the gun shooting Remington 115 grain FMJ and have been pleased so far with the accuracy of the gun and ammo. When I was in my LTC class the instructor said he uses Hornady Critical Defense for self defense loads so I thought that would be a good place for me to start for that same purpose. Today I was at the range and decided to run some through the gun to make sure they cycle properly and just see how to see how they shoot. What I found is that they cycled perfectly but were not very accurate. Anyone else have this experience? Any suggestions on a good self defense ammo?

Thanks
Dan

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Ammo

Post by Lena »

Gold Dot
WW Ranger T
Cor-Bon
Stay Safe

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

All of the above are great suggestions. From time to time I use Hornady Critical Duty in my full size guns and I use Hornady Critical Defense in my short barrel guns.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I found that my. Shooting improved when I changed from 115gr to 124 gr.YMMV. Different guns like different ammo.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Dano

Post by Dano »

Great suggestions, thank you.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

Luckygunner has done some good testing. Not scientifically exhuastive but a great place to start.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-d ... tests/#9mm

Shootingthebull410 also did some good testing

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg ... -w4Yozc27i
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

As a general rule SD loads tend to run hotter than your garden variety range ammo. It may be that the more robust recoil and report was throwning off your shooting. That said it can’t hurt to try out some of the other loads listed here.

I’m partial to Federal HST in 124 grain. The Gold Dots are also great performers. Whatever you settle on, check out SG Ammo or similar online companies to get yourself a couple hundred rounds of your preferred SD ammo.

I try to refresh mine about once a year, though I do think even that is a bit too often. Regardless will be nice knowing you have several years worth of quality ammo on hand.

Oh yeah, and nice choice in firearms and welcome to the forum. You’ll love it here, lots of great (knowledgeable) folks.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I have a VP9 and I have no problems with Federal HST LE in it. I believe they are 147g. I have not shot any Hornady in it I don't believe. The gun is way more accurate than I am.

I believe the VP9 was designed around shooting 124 NATO so a little heavier bullet might be nice. Also not that it really matters for close range but they are setup to cover the target with the front dot not a 6 o'clock hold.

Topic author
Dano

Post by Dano »

Thanks Wag2323. I noticed that about the set up on the VP9. Since reading all of the excellent suggestions provided here (thanks again to all) I am ordering some 124 grain Gold Dot & HST to see how they run for me.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

A heavier bullet hits harder, but with a slight increase in recoil. POI will also sometimes shift based on bullet weight. That can be a good way to fine-tune your set-up, presuming accuracy itself is not tbe issue.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I can't remember which Hornady ammo it was but watch the velocity of the rounds you are buying. Some Hornady self defense ammo is rated at a little slower velocity compared to other brands or even other Hornady ammo. Usually you can see that shown on the boxes at the store.

I first noticed it a while back shooting a few extra HP rounds of various types out of a 9mm carbine at 100 yards. Some took a noticeably longer time to hit the target. It didn't occur to me to pay attention to the velocity numbers prior to that. The rounds may be designed to work at that velocity, but I figure faster is usually better for the grain weight you are using. Results may vary.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I use the Critical Defense 124 grain in my one and only 9mm (P938) and have not had any issues. I am not as accurate with 115 gr. even in practice rounds but I think its just me.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RPBrown wrote:I use the Critical Defense 124 grain in my one and only 9mm (P938) and have not had any issues. I am not as accurate with 115 gr. even in practice rounds but I think its just me.
My excuse is eyesight..... :mrgreen:

I run 115 grain Critical Defense in my G43, and 135 grain +P Critical Duty in my G19 & G17. The few “practice” rounds I’ve shot with either load, in those guns as described, have seemed to be reasonably accurate for self defense purposes.....with the +P bullets hitting a tad higher than the other.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

1911 Raptor wrote:Federal HST LE
+1. This is my carry ammo in all of my semi-autos

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”