Considering a Shield 9mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Considering a Shield 9mm

Post by cmgee67 »

The shield is an excellent carry option. I own the 45 shield and it has been a true and faithful companion. I have been carrying my Glock 43 as of late but I still love to carry my shield. If you want more capacity look at The the hyve mag extensions. I own a +2 for the 45 shield and I also will say look at Taran Tactical. I own the +2 for the Glock 43.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

Get the one from Performance center. Basic one are NOT as good.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Crash

Post by Crash »

One thing you might want to consider before buying the Shield: The recoil spring is pretty stiff (much more so than the one on my Glock 43), so if anyone in your family who might use it has less than normal hand or arm strength, it may be hard for them to lock the slide back.

Crash

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Crash wrote:One thing you might want to consider before buying the Shield: The recoil spring is pretty stiff (much more so than the one on my Glock 43), so if anyone in your family who might use it has less than normal hand or arm strength, it may be hard for them to lock the slide back.

Crash
:iagree:
My wife could not manipulate the slide on the Shield.
She chose a Walther PPS
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Like others have said the shield is a booger to load. Mine has gotten easier over time but when I first got it I almost could not load the last round in the mag. I remember loading 6+1 and it mag was very hard to seat but the gun has never hiccuped. When I bought hyve extended mag from their website which already comes pre assembled and a stronger spring it was very hard to load and almost impossible to load 8 +1. But it cycled fine and ran without a problem. As mentioned above the Glock 43 is very easy to load. But all Glock mags are easy to load and manipulate the slide even when loaded to max capacity. I did not like the shield in 9mm I’ve shot them and never fell in love. The 45 shield i guess due to its slightlylarger size was the goldy locks for me it fit just right. That’s how the Glock 43 is for me. I would buy 10 G43’s before I bought a 9mm shield. But you need to go handle them and see if a gun store with a range has rentals. And try the different guns. The walther and glock will serve you well as will the shield! Just don’t buy an XD "rlol"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Been my daily carry since I got my license 2+ years ago. I have no regrets or issues recommending it to others.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

My 9mm Shield has been my EDC for a few years now. It's thin enough to disappear easily inside the waistband but is still plenty shootable. I can't say I've had issues loading the magazines on it or anything else of the like. I really have no complaints about it other than I've been considering switching calibers to .40 or .45 but fortunately they make a Shield in both of those too.
Psalm 91:2

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Take a look at the Blackhawk ARC for appendix carry.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Do yourself a favor and buy an Uplula.

I wouldn't load a single pistol mag without mine...

For AR mag loading get a Maglula.

They're worth every penny.

If you doubt their efficacy, borrow a friends if possible and you'll be a new convert...right then.

onesocksid

Post by onesocksid »

I've had my Shield 9mm for about 3 weeks now, love it. Very small, light and accurate. I carry all day in an AlienGear Cloak Tuck IWB at 4:00 and I don't even notice it. They do have an appendix holster for the Shield 9...gets good reviews. The IWB I have is very comfortable.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Abraham wrote:Do yourself a favor and buy an Uplula.

I wouldn't load a single pistol mag without mine...

For AR mag loading get a Maglula.

They're worth every penny.

If you doubt their efficacy, borrow a friends if possible and you'll be a new convert...right then.
:iagree:
I used to think that the Uplula was an affectation for sissies. Then I tried one. Never looked back. I got one for my wife, in purple, for her single stack Walther.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Beiruty wrote:Get the one from Performance center. Basic one are NOT as good.
I have both PC and basic Shields, both shoot well but the PC model is better. I’m curious about the M2.0 Shield and how close it’s trigger is to the PC model.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

If you carry the Shield 9mm, or any 9mm approved for it, don't overlook the option of +P ammo. It is not hard to shoot, but definitely hits harder. Ballistic gel testing shows that 9mm +P scores very close to .40 cal, with easier handling.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
Cjwglock19
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Cjwglock19 »

Just left the shop with it! Will likely shoot tomorrow! ThBks for the input. Been shopping and researching for a while. Glad to “pull the trigger!”
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I have never owned a Shield but do carry an FNS 9C which has a 12 round mag, appendix carry Kydex holster. It is so comfortable that I often forget that it's there.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”