Be Careful About Wearing A Shirt One Size Larger Than Normal

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

Be Careful About Wearing A Shirt One Size Larger Than Normal

Post by Crash »

I've often read that it's recommended to wear a shirt one size larger than normal if you carry IWB, especially AIWB. However, there can be a problem with so doing if you are shorter than average. I'm 5'6" and normally wear a Medium shirt. But, going with the above recommendation, I bought several Large shirts. However, when I attempted to pull up the shirt to access my AIWB-carried S&W Shield, the bottom of the shirt caught on my butt and wouldn't come up--the shirt was not only bigger around, it was longer, as well.

My advice to the rest of you shorter folks is to try your draw with that larger shirt before you buy it.

Crash

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Be Careful About Wearing A Shirt One Size Larger Than Normal

Post by Flightmare »

I usually have the opposite problem myself. I can never seem to find a shirt long enough. Anytime I raise my arms, my shirt lifts up over my belly button.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

My answer was to start wearing fishing shirts much more often. I can wear the correct size but due to the general fit of those type shirts if left untucked I can easily conceal my full size XDm 4.5 OWB with no problem. If I stretch up to get something from a shelf or bend down in a certain way it sometimes gets exposed but I generally adjust the shirt after such motions and have never had anyone say they noticed anything. Actually went to a county fair with some inlaws and I know it got partially exposed a couple of times in front of them and they never noticed until we got home and I stopped trying to conceal and left the shirt between the grip and me for comfort when I was driving home.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I would normally wear a large Tshirt, but wear a XL shirt so I can cover up if necessary, I open carry all the time and only cover up when absolutely necessary, the one size larger works well for me!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

At 6'4" 250 finding a shirt too big is not my problem LOL.
Duluth trading is where I get most of my shirts, the extra 2" length plumbers shirt are wonderful.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Setxjeff wrote:At 6'4" 250 finding a shirt too big is not my problem LOL.
Duluth trading is where I get most of my shirts, the extra 2" length plumbers shirt are wonderful.
I'm a Duluth man myself. The long sleeve twill is heavy and long enough that it won't ride up. I like the help short sleeve for summer wear, not only doesn't it ride up, somehow it keeps me cooler than just a t-shirt. They keep enough shape, that when carrying suckable they don't print.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flechero

alteration is often the best solution for CC apparel

Post by flechero »

I have altered a big percentage on my clothing to suit concealed carry in a comfy and presentable way. Sometimes a larger shirt fits the body ok but the length and sleeves are too long- you should have them taken up. All my pants have belt loops relocated to accommodate any of the 3 common holsters I wear. Sometimes a suit jacket needs a little bit of the taper let out (sometimes not for the gun!) :biggrinjester:

I've noticed on many tee, sweat and casual shirts that if I go up a size and then dry on high after the first wash, the length shrinks up but not the width... not sure why they shrink up and not in but it's pretty common.

Yes it's another expense but if you live and work in an environment that requires any level of dressed up, it's money well spent.

aero10

Post by aero10 »

Medley86 wrote:My answer was to start wearing fishing shirts much more often.
:iagree:
Other than for work I pretty much only wear Columbia shirts. I can easily conceal IWB or OWB. Bonus, they're really comfortable and generally look nice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

This all kinda mostly depends on how long or short you are in the torso compared to shoulder/chest girth.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Crash

Re: alteration is often the best solution for CC apparel

Post by Crash »

flechero wrote:I have altered a big percentage on my clothing to suit concealed carry in a comfy and presentable way. Sometimes a larger shirt fits the body ok but the length and sleeves are too long- you should have them taken up. All my pants have belt loops relocated to accommodate any of the 3 common holsters I wear. Sometimes a suit jacket needs a little bit of the taper let out (sometimes not for the gun!) :biggrinjester:

I've noticed on many tee, sweat and casual shirts that if I go up a size and then dry on high after the first wash, the length shrinks up but not the width... not sure why they shrink up and not in but it's pretty common.

Yes it's another expense but if you live and work in an environment that requires any level of dressed up, it's money well spent.
Flechero,

Yeah, I've thought about having the shirts altered and in fact have had some of the ones with the draped bottoms altered to square bottoms. Never knew that drying shirts on high would shrink the length--thanks for the suggestion.

Crash

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

For dressier casual shirts, you might try these.

They make more and less casual lines too.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Flightmare wrote:I usually have the opposite problem myself. I can never seem to find a shirt long enough. Anytime I raise my arms, my shirt lifts up over my belly button.
NONE of us needs to see that! :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

Try Duluth they have the longest shirts, I have found. I am 6'4" and they are plenty long. They have also started carrying Ladies clothes. My wife is 5'9" and Sister 6' even.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

flechero

Re: alteration is often the best solution for CC apparel

Post by flechero »

Crash wrote:
flechero wrote:I have altered a big percentage on my clothing to suit concealed carry in a comfy and presentable way. Sometimes a larger shirt fits the body ok but the length and sleeves are too long- you should have them taken up. All my pants have belt loops relocated to accommodate any of the 3 common holsters I wear. Sometimes a suit jacket needs a little bit of the taper let out (sometimes not for the gun!) :biggrinjester:

Flechero,

Yeah, I've thought about having the shirts altered and in fact have had some of the ones with the draped bottoms altered to square bottoms. Never knew that drying shirts on high would shrink the length--thanks for the suggestion.

Crash
I should have emphasized that cottons do so more than the rest but try it on something you don't love, first... my results, although pretty consistent, may not be universal. :tiphat:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”