Honor guard pistol BEWARE

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Honor guard pistol BEWARE

Post by cmgee67 »

Glocks physically can’t fire unless the trigger is pulled. They have a metal plunger that blocks the striker which has to move out of the way in order for the striker to go forward. I carry Glock almost exclusively with exception to my shield every now and then.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by John Galt »

There are 2 Brands of handguns that I feel completely safe carrying, Glock and FN.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

cmgee67 wrote:Glocks physically can’t fire unless the trigger is pulled. They have a metal plunger that blocks the striker which has to move out of the way in order for the striker to go forward. I carry Glock almost exclusively with exception to my shield every now and then.
I hear you. Sig P320's can't fire unless the trigger is pulled, either. That's the problem in the drop-discharge. The trigger gets pulled by inertial forces.

I bet a factory Glock at 5 pounds or so is not likely to discharge, although that's about what a factory P320 is. The Glock's trigger looks like a lower mass thing, although I'm not all that familiar with Glocks.

A Glock with a 3 pound trigger and a bit of grit in the trigger blade might be a different thing. I'm not saying they aren't drop safe, I just have a natural caution about any of them.

Edited to add - I believe I'd feel a little better about holstering a Glock with that split trigger than a P320. My remaining reserve would be trusting the trigger blade as a safety.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 »

The trigger blade and plunger is the safety basically on a Glock. I’m 100% confident you can throw a Glock out of a 100 story building loaded and it won’t discharge.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

cmgee67 wrote:The trigger blade and plunger is the safety basically on a Glock. I’m 100% confident you can throw a Glock out of a 100 story building loaded and it won’t discharge.
You can be 99% confident that if you throw a P320 or an Honor Guard out of a 100 story building and they won't go off. They have to land just right.

This is the one reason I only buy a gun after its been on the market for several years. Being first on the block to own the new gun has no appeal for me. Guns with a history hold few surprises.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Honor Defense Opens Up On Drop Controversy

Honor Defense is claiming there is no problem.
While the Honor Guard’s issue with drops isn’t nearly as widespread a controversy as it was when Sig had a similar issue with the P320, it’s still a thing. How big of a deal it is remains to be seen.

However, when a popular blog that allegedly failed to act on a story regarding the failure has two editors “retire” just hours apart, one can’t help but wonder just how significant that part of the issue is.

Honor Defense, who makes the pistols, however, remained silent. Now, they’re not.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

strogg

Post by strogg »

To the issue of Patrick R vs TFB, I think there's a bit more going on than meets the eye. Do we know that Patrick R has contacted Honor Defense regarding the issue with ample time for them to properly respond? Was there a lot of tension between the two beforehand? I wish there was more context to the issue. Regardless, it is sad to see he and TFB have parted ways. I wish the best to both parties.

Onto the firearm. Most striker fire pistols use a safety plunger perpendicular to the firing pin to make it a near impossibility for the striker to hit the primer. Then double that with a trigger safety where inertia won't be able to pull the trigger. That's why there's no way outside a massive parts failure can I make my XD or FNS go off without pulling the trigger. Somehow, SIG and Honor Defense missed that memo. At least SIG has gone on to fix the problem with a different disconnect system and a much less massive trigger. Honor Defense, well, became defensive. Sorry. When two independent sources can replicate the problem, there's no reason why you can't do the same. In the manufacturer's defense, the two sources may have done something they're not supposed to in order to make the problem appear. Honor Defense can talk to them to figure out how to replicate the issue, then rectify it with the public. But no, they just dismissed them like Jerry Brown does convicts. Bad move, folks. Bad move...

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

As a kid i carried a cap gun in a plastic holster i trust more than i would one of those Honor Guard pistols.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”