Police Negligent Discharge Study - Results Not What You Might Think

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

OlBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Police Negligent Discharge Study - Results Not What You Might Think

Post by OlBill »

ScottDLS wrote:I suspect since the police handle their firearms much more frequently than even the average concealed carrier, they would have more accidental discharges. Maybe the same thing goes for automobile negligents too, given the more aggressive driving required of LEO.
Why do you think police handle their firearms more?

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

OlBill wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:I suspect since the police handle their firearms much more frequently than even the average concealed carrier, they would have more accidental discharges. Maybe the same thing goes for automobile negligents too, given the more aggressive driving required of LEO.
Why do you think police handle their firearms more?
Because they wear them every time the are on duty and unless they leave them on in their duty holsters 24/7 they are going to be handling them. The general public and even most LTCs rarely carry their firearms as much as police. Yes of course some do, but I’m talking about averages.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

ELB wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Try this link.

It gives access to the full study summary, and it's free as of 7:19 PM tonight.
Unfortunately not as of 0843 this morning, at least not for me. :confused5
It keeps reverting to the non-free version of the page - not sure what's wrong there. The link comes directly from the Force Science News which stated the study is free until sometime in February.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

The link appears to be an update to an earlier article. There is an article on the Force Science Institute's web site research page that contains a review of police unintentional discharges. It has some interesting points in it though I would be concerned about drawing conclusions from such a low number of incidents (132). Obviously, the researchers had a problem gathering data as there is no set procedure on how to report these and no database to collect them. I would be willing to bet more go unreported than are reported if no one is injured in the discharge.

But I suggest everyone read it (click here for a pdf) and look at the training suggestions on how to avoid an unintentional discharge. Their three primary factors should look familiar (treat all firearms as loaded, always point the weapon in a safe direction, index the trigger finger to avoid accidentally squeezing it).
Steve Rothstein

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

oohrah wrote: We had an ND by a Deputy at the County Jail, becasue he had disarmed by removing his pistol from the holster (instead of removing the holstered pistol). When replacing his pistol, he had his keys in his hand, and one of them caught on the trigger.
Sounds like McLennan County - there was an incident like that a while back.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

treadlightly wrote:
oohrah wrote: We had an ND by a Deputy at the County Jail, becasue he had disarmed by removing his pistol from the holster (instead of removing the holstered pistol). When replacing his pistol, he had his keys in his hand, and one of them caught on the trigger.
Sounds like McLennan County - there was an incident like that a while back.
Your memory is correct .
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”