History

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

History

Post by longtooth »

I had a drs appointment this morning and was remembering back a lotta years. Wondering.
What is the earliest gun board yall remember.
1st one I was on was packin.org. I don't remember if there was a "g" on the end or not.
Anyone remember one older than that???
:fire :fire :fire
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

apostate

Re: History

Post by apostate »

I was on usenet's rec.guns 25+ years ago.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Packing.org for me also although I was never a member. I remember at the time thinking it was weird that regular people would carry guns all the time. Boy have I evolved on the topic.

The first gun forum I was a member of was surplusrifle.com. I always have had a thing for the classics.
Psalm 91:2

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

SQLGeek wrote:Packing.org for me also although I was never a member. I remember at the time thinking it was weird that regular people would carry guns all the time. Boy have I evolved on the topic.

The first gun forum I was a member of was surplusrifle.com. I always have had a thing for the classics.
This time of year always gets me looking back on things in circumspect
At one time I too thought it was pretty weird to carry out in public all the time.
I thought that Semi-Automatics were too flakey and unreliable to trust your life on.
The AR-15 platform was garbage ( I own one now and really like it)
I really believed that open carry was the same as a shoot me first sign and that the only reason to carry was ego.
That carrying a gun in your pant pockets is a Planned Parenthood neutering program. ( I still ain't doing it!)
This forum has had a lot to do with my changing attitudes.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

SQLGeek wrote:Packing.org for me also although I was never a member. I remember at the time thinking it was weird that regular people would carry guns all the time. Boy have I evolved on the topic.

I evolved about the same way. Interesting how our opinion can change over time. I think the first gun site I went to was CMP. But then, I was sleeping late on guns and the like.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

flechero

Post by flechero »

superchief wrote:yup, use.net rec.guns.
Same here...

After I started carrying a 1911 :fire I joined the 1911 forum in 2003 and then this one in '07 (after lurking for a long time.)

I occasionally visit others to search/research specific questions, but these 2 are still the only 2 I'm active in and visit on a daily basis.

Classy people here and very well run- Thanks, Charles! :tiphat:

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

AR15.com but I don’t frequent there anymore.

I visit here and the AK files forum daily. But this is my favorite an has taught me so much.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

- Back before the internet really got rolling, there was the FidoNet Firearms Echo and RKBA Echo (distributed BBS forums).
- When the internet did become a thing, there was the "unofficial IPSC list" (email listserv)
- In the late '90's and onward, BrianEnos.com/forums (first two above are long gone; the BE forums are still a major resource, and for more than just competition stuff....)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don’t believe I got involved in gun boards until THR.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I remember when Aol had chat rooms and one of my favorites were "shooting straight" and "defending yourself". That was in the day of dail up modems. and if you had 64 MB of memory you were way ahead of the game.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

rec.guns and tx.guns

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

tx.guns on use.net is the oldest I can recall. It's also the reason the TexasCHLforum was created. Packing.org had a very large following for a while, then the owner went back to college, law school or something.

Chas.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I don’t believe I got involved in gun boards until THR.
I, too, used to read "THR" a good bit, can't remember if I had a login for it or not. I still visit there every once in awhile if I'm searching for something. I also spent some time on CalGuns.net when I was stationed out there.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

twomillenium wrote:I remember when Aol had chat rooms and one of my favorites were "shooting straight" and "defending yourself". That was in the day of dail up modems. and if you had 64 MB of memory you were way ahead of the game.

I had good old AOL and still use it as my main Email. I dislike AOL because they are liberals. All i ever read there when i check my email is negative things about Trump and how they praise obummer and hitlery. I have Fow News as my default page now.
I was going to watch all the Aeros hockey games when Aol started up since i lived close by the Summit on Hwy 59 and S. Shepherd.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”