Annoying Trends.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Annoying Trends.

Post by Liberty »

Perhaps it's because I tend to resist change, or that I just tend to look back to the good old days, but there are certain trends in the gun community that bug me.

1: Itty bitty guns that are EDCs for sr so many people. Sticking them into pockets. Yeah, I understand that people have their reasons. It's just that it has become so commonplace. It seems to me that a lot of people are toting pockets, without giving traditional carry a chance. I wonder how many people actually qualify with an LCP.

2: Rifles without irons. Seems to me that more rifles are sold without irons than without. I suppose that a lot of inexpensive guns today are pretty accurate compared to what was available in decades past and folks like getting the most out of their guns. There is nothing wrong with scoping a rifle, it's just that without irons a rifle seems incomplete and the selection available is getting limited.

3: Abandoning the traditional Hammer fired DA/SA, The 1911, and striker fired are very popular, while there are fewer and fewer new models of TDA guns being offered. They are being squeezed out of market by tiny strikers Glocks and 1911.

4: Overpriced used guns., Seems as though a lot of people these days seem to think that a slightly used gun is worth as much or more than a new gun. I suppose this shouldn't annoy me that much because I generally won't buy a new gun, and would rather give away a good gun to a friend or relative than sell it.

5: We have met the enemy, and he is us. We as a community are often our worst enemy. Criticism of OC, Reciprocity, and Leftist. Mostly the unabashed critisism of leftist. While most of the resistance we get is from the left, and many of our political leaders from the left are deserving of a good verbal thrashing. The thing is second ammendent rights and the right to defend and protect are civil rights traditionally what the left is sensitive too. It's about the right of women to defend themselves, The rights of the poor, and protection against a mob. The ability to protect our children. The right to defend ourselves should not be bipartison, and we should be trying to get them on our side for this one issue. Thoughout history we have swung from liberal to conservative and back again. If the right to bear arms remains a Republican issue only, we are destined to lose these rights that have taken so long to gain.

OK, I'm being cranky. and find no fault with people who own ironless, pocket striker fired handguns. It's just the trend that annoys me. Ive vented and feel much better now :mrgreen:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Annoying Trends.

Post by treadlightly »

It's not the itty-bittyness of the gun, it's the itty-bittyness of the group at 25. :biggrinjester:

I don't like pocket carry and never do it. If I had to, I guess I would, but only with a safe holster.

Criticism of open carry is at least a little different from criticism of the right to open carry. Don't mess with my open carry rights, or my right to walk down main street with my AR. I'm not keen on the idea, personally, as an everyday thing, but I'm a free American citizen, law abiding and peaceful.

I'm not a rifle guy, so this observation is academic. The open carry goofies with their AR's and AK's seem to like the idea of chambered rounds. I do, too, in my pistol in its holster with its trigger well guarded.

Is it just me, or is a rifle slung over the back with a round chambered a bad idea? I can see addressing a threat, carrying the rifle under positive control with a round chambered, but I'm queasy about the idea of a casually carried rifle (or any firearm, casually carried) with a round in the chamber.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

All of my guns have occupied chambers. I don't discriminate by size...lol. A long gun carried condition one is really no different than a handgun carried the same way. If I were to sling an AR and carry it down the sidewalk, it would be in condition one. An empty chamber is a liability. Would I carry a long gun slung on my back down the street? Not for any reason I know of. But I am fully in support of the right to do so.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Liberty wrote:Perhaps it's because I tend to resist change, or that I just tend to look back to the good old days, but there are certain trends in the gun community that bug me.

1: Itty bitty guns that are EDCs for sr so many people. Sticking them into pockets. Yeah, I understand that people have their reasons. It's just that it has become so commonplace. It seems to me that a lot of people are toting pockets, without giving traditional carry a chance. I wonder how many people actually qualify with an LCP.
I carry a little .380 in my jacket pocket but it is a secondary piece.
2: Rifles without irons. Seems to me that more rifles are sold without irons than without. I suppose that a lot of inexpensive guns today are pretty accurate compared to what was available in decades past and folks like getting the most out of their guns. There is nothing wrong with scoping a rifle, it's just that without irons a rifle seems incomplete and the selection available is getting limited.
I see this as logical. Carry handled uppers and front sight towers are not common any more. How many people do you know that have the same irons on their rifles as you do? There are so many kinds out there that it is logical to just leave them off and let the buyer pick their own set of sights.
3: Abandoning the traditional Hammer fired DA/SA, The 1911, and striker fired are very popular, while there are fewer and fewer new models of TDA guns being offered. They are being squeezed out of market by tiny strikers Glocks and 1911.
I don't really have any comment on this...other than I see Glock owners in a lot the same way I see iPhone fanboys...lol.
4: Overpriced used guns., Seems as though a lot of people these days seem to think that a slightly used gun is worth as much or more than a new gun. I suppose this shouldn't annoy me that much because I generally won't buy a new gun, and would rather give away a good gun to a friend or relative than sell it.
lol...but my guns are special and, if I sell one to you, you should think it's special also!
5: We have met the enemy, and he is us. We as a community are often our worst enemy. Criticism of OC, Reciprocity, and Leftist. Mostly the unabashed critisism of leftist. While most of the resistance we get is from the left, and many of our political leaders from the left are deserving of a good verbal thrashing. The thing is second ammendent rights and the right to defend and protect are civil rights traditionally what the left is sensitive too. It's about the right of women to defend themselves, The rights of the poor, and protection against a mob. The ability to protect our children. The right to defend ourselves should not be bipartison, and we should be trying to get them on our side for this one issue. Thoughout history we have swung from liberal to conservative and back again. If the right to bear arms remains a Republican issue only, we are destined to lose these rights that have taken so long to gain.
I am with you on most of this statement. I am tiring of the whole 'if you don't agree with me, you are the enemy' mentality that is so rampant nowadays.
OK, I'm being cranky. and find no fault with people who own ironless, pocket striker fired handguns. It's just the trend that annoys me. Ive vented and feel much better now :mrgreen:
Now go get some more coffee...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Liberty wrote:
Perhaps it's because I tend to resist change, or that I just tend to look back to the good old days, but there are certain trends in the gun community that bug me.
I've never OC'd. I CC'd for a long time, alternating with IWB Compact semi-auto and a J frame Smith. I now almost exclusively pocket carry a .40 SW Kahr.
All of my center fire rifle have iron or glass and iron sights. I do have one Model 70 purchased in the 1990's that came w/o iron sights. My eyesight has deteriorated to the point I need some type of optics. For hunting purposes a scope is almost essential in most of Texas. Even putting my eyesight aside, to me being able to make a certain kill shot is more important than traditional old school rifles. I have a lot of .22 rifles that have iron sights, but I'm installing red dots or scopes on more and more of them for my eyesight.

3:
Abandoning the traditional Hammer fired DA/SA, The 1911, and striker fired are very popular, while there are fewer and fewer new models of TDA guns being offered. They are being squeezed out of market by tiny strikers Glocks and 1911.
I don't have any real issues w/ striker fired and or hammerless pistols and revolvers. There was a time when larger caliber semis (.45/9mm) mostly came with hammers. There weren't a lot to choose from. Many externally hammerless pistols had internal hammers. Of course all the hammerless revolvers did. Manufacturers are going to market what sells.

I agree on this point. It has got to the point of ridiculousness. As more and more shooters come on the scene with dollars to spend they drive up prices. It's not is not isolated to firearms, though. I used to buy vintage Puma brand knives to collect, but can't compete with the absurd prices being paid nowadays.
I wish the left really did support all civil rights. Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the left if the first amendment required a license and back ground check? :lol:
When the AR-15 (Colt) became commercially available I thought they were the ugliest firearm creation I'd ever seen or handled. I never sold a single one back then. Now I think they're beautiful, but I'm with you; whatever floats your boat
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

Man buns.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

The trend of DA/SA semi-auto handguns seems to be waning finally. :thumbs2:
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

cedarparkdad987
Banned

Post by cedarparkdad987 »

Liberty wrote:
Apologies if I am reading this incorrectly, but this is arguing DA/SA are being pushed out? There are still options available (Sig, Beretta, CZ, Bersa, Taurus). I do not believe DA/SA has ever been very popular, at least in the US. Personally I like the concept, but I could never handle the difference between the two. Not a fan of trigger pulls over 7 lb regardless.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RogueUSMC wrote:
Liberty wrote:Perhaps it's because I tend to resist change, or that I just tend to look back to the good old days, but there are certain trends in the gun community that bug me.
You can say that about almost any societal change. After all, the gun world is just a subset of society. Why should we be any different in terms of immunity to change? As long as certain standards remain - like a deep and abiding respect and love of the Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment - other changes like changing carry habits or technologies are going to affect us as much as they will anyone else.
RogueUSMC wrote:
Liberty wrote:1: Itty bitty guns that are EDCs for sr so many people. Sticking them into pockets. Yeah, I understand that people have their reasons. It's just that it has become so commonplace. It seems to me that a lot of people are toting pockets, without giving traditional carry a chance. I wonder how many people actually qualify with an LCP.
I carry a little .380 in my jacket pocket but it is a secondary piece.
Each of us has to pick the carry paradigm that works best for the environment that they live/work in. I personally won’t carry a .380, but that’s just me. But I will, on occasion, pocket carry, and I have 3 guns in 3 calibers that I can do that with: M&P340 .357 magnum, Glock 43 9mm, and Springfield XDS45. But of those three, I am most likely to pocket the Glock, followed by the revolver, with the .45 last due to its weight.
RogueUSMC wrote:
Liberty wrote:2: Rifles without irons. Seems to me that more rifles are sold without irons than without. I suppose that a lot of inexpensive guns today are pretty accurate compared to what was available in decades past and folks like getting the most out of their guns. There is nothing wrong with scoping a rifle, it's just that without irons a rifle seems incomplete and the selection available is getting limited.
I see this as logical. Carry handled uppers and front sight towers are not common any more. How many people do you know that have the same irons on their rifles as you do? There are so many kinds out there that it is logical to just leave them off and let the buyer pick their own set of sights.
The only one of my rifles that doesn’t have iron sights is a Remington 700 .308 with a 26” heavy barrel. But it was never intended to be used with iron sights, and so none were supplied, nor does it have the provision for mounting them. It is a long range rifle, and is intended to be used with a long range scope. But my other bolt gun, a gunsight scout has them; all of my ARs.....including the one set up for long range use....have them; My SCAR 17 has them; my M1 Carbine has them; my Marlin .30-30 has them; all three of my .22s have them; my Mosin 91/30 has them; heck, even one of my shotguns has rifle-type iron sights.
RogueUSMC wrote:
Liberty wrote:3: Abandoning the traditional Hammer fired DA/SA, The 1911, and striker fired are very popular, while there are fewer and fewer new models of TDA guns being offered. They are being squeezed out of market by tiny strikers Glocks and 1911.
I don't really have any comment on this...other than I see Glock owners in a lot the same way I see iPhone fanboys...lol.
As both a Glock and iPhone user, I resemble that remark! :mrgreen: That said, one of my favorite guns was a hammer fired, DA/SA (with decocker) USP Compact in .40 S&W. The only reason I sold it was a desire to divest myself of .40 S&W as a caliber. If I had been smart enough to buy in .45 ACP or 9mm, I would likely still own and carry it today. It was a great pistol. I am also pondering the acquisition of a CZ DA/SA pistol. I have no beef at all with the concept. When I caved and invested in Glocks, it was mostly motivated by two things: one being that Glock is what my wife shoots well, and it was important to me that we be on the same logistical and training page; and the other being that Glocks just work. Yeah, they are ugly, and plain, and yada yada yada, but they just plain work. So do other brands of double stack striker fired polymer framed pistols. I just happened to go with Glock. But I do miss my HK.
RogueUSMC wrote:
Liberty wrote:4: Overpriced used guns., Seems as though a lot of people these days seem to think that a slightly used gun is worth as much or more than a new gun. I suppose this shouldn't annoy me that much because I generally won't buy a new gun, and would rather give away a good gun to a friend or relative than sell it.
lol...but my guns are special and, if I sell one to you, you should think it's special also!
To each his own, right? I sometimes have a hard time placing a value on a gun I’m selling. When it comes to off-the-shelf models, I’ll go look up what others like it have sold for, and let that be my guideline. But, when it comes to customized guns, I will ask more for that used gun, because more went into it. And I recognize that when I am buying too. For instance, you can pickup used G19s all day long for a decent price. But add in a fresh set of high quality tritium sights, a low round count, and more extra mags than it originally sold with, and all of a sudden I’m willing to pay more than I would for the plain Jane gun with unknown round count and 2 magazines. But some people aren’t, and they don’t see the additional value in those things. I do.
RogueUSMC wrote:
Liberty wrote:5: We have met the enemy, and he is us. We as a community are often our worst enemy. Criticism of OC, Reciprocity, and Leftist. Mostly the unabashed critisism of leftist. While most of the resistance we get is from the left, and many of our political leaders from the left are deserving of a good verbal thrashing. The thing is second ammendent rights and the right to defend and protect are civil rights traditionally what the left is sensitive too. It's about the right of women to defend themselves, The rights of the poor, and protection against a mob. The ability to protect our children. The right to defend ourselves should not be bipartison, and we should be trying to get them on our side for this one issue. Thoughout history we have swung from liberal to conservative and back again. If the right to bear arms remains a Republican issue only, we are destined to lose these rights that have taken so long to gain.
I am with you on most of this statement. I am tiring of the whole 'if you don't agree with me, you are the enemy' mentality that is so rampant nowadays.
No argument out of me.
RogueUSMC wrote:
Liberty wrote:OK, I'm being cranky. and find no fault with people who own ironless, pocket striker fired handguns. It's just the trend that annoys me. Ive vented and feel much better now :mrgreen:
Now go get some more coffee...
....with a little bourbon in it......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

EastTexasRancher wrote:Man buns.
Thank you! Can we just agree that anytime you spot a man bun, you should sneak up behind him, squirt lighter fluid on it, and set fire to it?

Either that, or ask him if the other girls give him a bad time about that 5 O’clock shadow in the locker room.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
EastTexasRancher wrote:Man buns.
Thank you! Can we just agree that anytime you spot a man bun, you should sneak up behind him, squirt lighter fluid on it, and set fire to it?

Either that, or ask him if the other girls give him a bad time about that 5 O’clock shadow in the locker room.......
You win the internet for today!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

Liberty,

Glad to see another self admitted curmudgeon venting.

Feels good don't it?

Count me in as contemptuous of 'man bun' coiffures too, especially when they carry a beaded man purse while declaring their strong enough in their masculinity to do so.

Buncha emasculated beta males who can't admit they're low in testosterone and high in estrogen, not that there's anything wrong with....baloney. There's plenty wrong with that...buncha wimps and their gender neutrality. Blech...

And they drink black & white mocha espresso swirly drinks of decadent dark and white chocolate mocha, with a strike of chocolaty sequins. Now there's a manly drink, eh?

Now, I gotta go to the range and listen to soothing strings of gunfire while drinking black boiled coffee and smoking cheap, Maduro cigars to rid me of my man bun disgust.

flechero

Post by flechero »

1911's, really? They are about as trendy as owning an automobile, or eating sandwiches on sliced bread. I think history has gotten them past the trendy phase by about 100 years. :lol:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

C'mon now.

1911's make great boat anchors.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I like the striker fired 9mm pistols I own. I also like my CZ P07 and CZ SP01 Phantom. I actually shoot the Phantom a little better than the striker fired guns, but that is likely due to the way they fit my hands.

I have never had issues with the DA/SA transition with my CZ's. I like the fact that the initial trigger pull is not so easy to pull. Usually my carry gun does part time duty as a "have it near me" gun so it is out of the holster.

The biggest factor to me on carry guns is finding the gun that fits you and still has a size and weight that are comfortable and convenient to carry.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”