Annoying Trends.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Annoying Trends.

Post by MechAg94 »

On iron sights, one thing to consider is that scopes and red dot sights are often very robust and reliable these days compared to decades ago. Also, a lot of rifles need the scope mounted low which doesn't always allow iron sights to fit in there.

That said, that is one feature of the Tavor that I like. It has the built in iron sights that fold down into the top rail. I would like the see an AR receiver done like that. With the big objectives on a lot of variable power scopes, it is often hard to mount even fold down irons under them.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

DA/SA is the worst of both systems without most of the benefits of each. I’m glad that it seems to be going away.

Man buns are great! It lets you know who the hipster thugs are. It is like how I no longer correct people when they are talking about a Glock “clip”... it lets me know that the person talking has no clue.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

Freedom of speech is wonderful ain’t it? Let me exercise mine a little bit. I think that having a higher consistent percentage of carry with an “itty bitty” gun is much much better than having a bigger gun and only carrying a little bit. There are always going to be those guys who say “oh I carry a full size HK USP 45 with four back up mags no prob.” To that I say ROCK ON! But for me that just wouldn’t work and for most people something like a smaller gun is goin to be what they choose. First and foremost I carry to protect myself and my family. Secondly if I had to and my family was safe and I was in the position I would try and help my fellow man and even stop and active shooter if i could. I don’t plan on going to war everyday that’s not my profession. If I was a soilder than I’d want a gun with as much capacity and as light weight as I could find. Which means I’d go with a full sized striker fired 9mm. Be it a Glock, M&P, or whatever else. The 1911 wouldn’t even be considered due to the weight and capacity and many other reasons why I think a 1911 is a poor carry choice compared to what we have offered today. But since I am not a soilder and my profession doesn’t have anything to do with it I choose a lighter weight more compact firearm as my carry peice. I tend to grab my Glock 43 most of the time and carry a back up mag. There are some days I will carry a larger gun but 95% of the time it’s the G43 or 45 shield. Not to mention where I work I must stay very Concealed so a larger gun is not practical and due to scoliosis in my back it’s also very hard to carry a larger gun even with my gun belt and decent holster. I think to criticise someone for what they carry is uncalled for. Like others have stated with the OC issues. We as a gun community do more damage to ourselves than the left does sometimes. Everybody is different and the only person who can best evaluate what works best for them is them.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

cmgee67 wrote:Freedom of speech is wonderful ain’t it? Let me exercise mine a little bit. I think that having a higher consistent percentage of carry with an “itty bitty” gun is much much better than having a bigger gun and only carrying a little bit. There are always going to be those guys who say “oh I carry a full size HK USP 45 with four back up mags no prob.” To that I say ROCK ON! But for me that just wouldn’t work and for most people something like a smaller gun is goin to be what they choose. First and foremost I carry to protect myself and my family. Secondly if I had to and my family was safe and I was in the position I would try and help my fellow man and even stop and active shooter if i could. I don’t plan on going to war everyday that’s not my profession. If I was a soilder than I’d want a gun with as much capacity and as light weight as I could find. Which means I’d go with a full sized striker fired 9mm. Be it a Glock, M&P, or whatever else. The 1911 wouldn’t even be considered due to the weight and capacity and many other reasons why I think a 1911 is a poor carry choice compared to what we have offered today. But since I am not a soilder and my profession doesn’t have anything to do with it I choose a lighter weight more compact firearm as my carry peice. I tend to grab my Glock 43 most of the time and carry a back up mag. There are some days I will carry a larger gun but 95% of the time it’s the G43 or 45 shield. Not to mention where I work I must stay very Concealed so a larger gun is not practical and due to scoliosis in my back it’s also very hard to carry a larger gun even with my gun belt and decent holster. I think to criticise someone for what they carry is uncalled for. Like others have stated with the OC issues. We as a gun community do more damage to ourselves than the left does sometimes. Everybody is different and the only person who can best evaluate what works best for them is them.
:iagree: Bingo! At the end of the day, concealed vs open, small gun vs full size, 9mm vs 45acp....it's all personal preference. The important thing is that you carry, and that you do so whenever you are able.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

cedarparkdad987
Banned

Post by cedarparkdad987 »

Flightmare wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Freedom of speech is wonderful ain’t it? Let me exercise mine a little bit. I think that having a higher consistent percentage of carry with an “itty bitty” gun is much much better than having a bigger gun and only carrying a little bit. There are always going to be those guys who say “oh I carry a full size HK USP 45 with four back up mags no prob.” To that I say ROCK ON! But for me that just wouldn’t work and for most people something like a smaller gun is goin to be what they choose. First and foremost I carry to protect myself and my family. Secondly if I had to and my family was safe and I was in the position I would try and help my fellow man and even stop and active shooter if i could. I don’t plan on going to war everyday that’s not my profession. If I was a soilder than I’d want a gun with as much capacity and as light weight as I could find. Which means I’d go with a full sized striker fired 9mm. Be it a Glock, M&P, or whatever else. The 1911 wouldn’t even be considered due to the weight and capacity and many other reasons why I think a 1911 is a poor carry choice compared to what we have offered today. But since I am not a soilder and my profession doesn’t have anything to do with it I choose a lighter weight more compact firearm as my carry peice. I tend to grab my Glock 43 most of the time and carry a back up mag. There are some days I will carry a larger gun but 95% of the time it’s the G43 or 45 shield. Not to mention where I work I must stay very Concealed so a larger gun is not practical and due to scoliosis in my back it’s also very hard to carry a larger gun even with my gun belt and decent holster. I think to criticise someone for what they carry is uncalled for. Like others have stated with the OC issues. We as a gun community do more damage to ourselves than the left does sometimes. Everybody is different and the only person who can best evaluate what works best for them is them.
:iagree: Bingo! At the end of the day, concealed vs open, small gun vs full size, 9mm vs 45acp....it's all personal preference. The important thing is that you carry, and that you do so whenever you are able.
I could not agree more. :thewave

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

cmgee67 wrote:Freedom of speech is wonderful ain’t it? Let me exercise mine a little bit. I think that having a higher consistent percentage of carry with an “itty bitty” gun is much much better than having a bigger gun and only carrying a little bit. There are always going to be those guys who say “oh I carry a full size HK USP 45 with four back up mags no prob.”
My complaint with the mouse gun, striker guns, Ironless rifles and even the 1911s wasn't about the people and the choices they make. It's about the market and the available choices. Visits to the local gun stores are getting increasingly depressing over the years I'm seeing fewer and fewer guns that I would consider buying.

BTW: my EDC is a fairly small gun, It's a 9mm Beretta PX4 SC. I've even pocket carried it a few times.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

RogueUSMC wrote:All of my guns have occupied chambers. I don't discriminate by size...lol. A long gun carried condition one is really no different than a handgun carried the same way. If I were to sling an AR and carry it down the sidewalk, it would be in condition one. An empty chamber is a liability. Would I carry a long gun slung on my back down the street? Not for any reason I know of. But I am fully in support of the right to do so.
I agree about the wisdom of chambered carry, and also that a long gun in condition one is no different than a pistol in condition one. I've shot a rifle about ten times in the last 30 years, compared to a lot of fun sessions at ranges with pistols and I always carry a pistol where lawful.

In other words, I may have some gaps in my rifle-think. I have gaps in my pistol-think, too, just hopefully fewer of them.

If the long gun and the pistol in condition one aren't any different - and I think you're right, they're not - would it be safe to carry a pistol in condition one on a sling? I may be overly cautious, but to me an un-shrouded trigger is a case for an empty chamber. At least without the gun under positive control, with my grip controlling access to the trigger.

I did also once see a talented individual demonstrate "drawing" and firing an M1 at IPSC-speed. He started with the rifle over his left shoulder and could put a round on target at 50 in the time a competitive pistol shooter might do the same at 25. That took starting with a round in the chamber, but it still doesn't strike me as the street carry I'd like. Round in the chamber on the street, of course, but gun in the holster.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

treadlightly wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:All of my guns have occupied chambers. I don't discriminate by size...lol. A long gun carried condition one is really no different than a handgun carried the same way. If I were to sling an AR and carry it down the sidewalk, it would be in condition one. An empty chamber is a liability. Would I carry a long gun slung on my back down the street? Not for any reason I know of. But I am fully in support of the right to do so.
I agree about the wisdom of chambered carry, and also that a long gun in condition one is no different than a pistol in condition one. I've shot a rifle about ten times in the last 30 years, compared to a lot of fun sessions at ranges with pistols and I always carry a pistol where lawful.

In other words, I may have some gaps in my rifle-think. I have gaps in my pistol-think, too, just hopefully fewer of them.

If the long gun and the pistol in condition one aren't any different - and I think you're right, they're not - would it be safe to carry a pistol in condition one on a sling? I may be overly cautious, but to me an un-shrouded trigger is a case for an empty chamber. At least without the gun under positive control, with my grip controlling access to the trigger.

I did also once see a talented individual demonstrate "drawing" and firing an M1 at IPSC-speed. He started with the rifle over his left shoulder and could put a round on target at 50 in the time a competitive pistol shooter might do the same at 25. That took starting with a round in the chamber, but it still doesn't strike me as the street carry I'd like. Round in the chamber on the street, of course, but gun in the holster.
:iagree: A rifle ( especially a hunting rifle) is being carried in all types of conditions with the trigger guard exposed . I know of a case where brush depressing the trigger causeing a ND.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Great thread Liberty! I too sometimes shake my head and sigh at trends that I don't like, or agree with. Some are gun related, but then there is also the western wear trends, like square toed boots, and hats creased like taco shells.

I do agree wholeheartedly, that we in the "gun community" who value the preservation, of our 2A rights, need to be mindful of the fact, that we all have our reasons for the way we choose to excercise those rights, and criticizing one another, only creates division, that those striving to deprive us of those rights, can exploit.

This is the very reason, that I spend the majority of my on line time on this forum. We can express our opinions, and even if not everyone agrees, there is still a respect given to those who have differing ways of doing things.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Jusme wrote:Great thread Liberty! I too sometimes shake my head and sigh at trends that I don't like, or agree with. Some are gun related, but then there is also the western wear trends, like square toed boots, and hats creased like taco shells.

I do agree wholeheartedly, that we in the "gun community" who value the preservation, of our 2A rights, need to be mindful of the fact, that we all have our reasons for the way we choose to excercise those rights, and criticizing one another, only creates division, that those striving to deprive us of those rights, can exploit.

This is the very reason, that I spend the majority of my on line time on this forum. We can express our opinions, and even if not everyone agrees, there is still a respect given to those who have differing ways of doing things.

Don’t hate on square toed boots! Some of us have really wide feet and them round toed and roach killers are too narrow! I personally think square toed boots look the best :hurry:

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

:mrgreen:

LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

Scott B.,

Your post left me screaming with laughter.

Homers Dad reminds me of the most recent loony left antics.
Last edited by Abraham on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Alright, guess I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I agree that carrying a round in the chamber w/ handgun or rifle are the same thing. AD and ND are just as likely to happen to both if the gun isn't given the proper respect. If carrying a rifle w/ one in the chamber, considering there isn't a trigger guard, it would need to remain on 'safe' until ready to fire.

And to add to annoying trends, not gun related but its mine is the one size fits all baseball caps with flat brims. I must have an oddly shaped head because none of them fit me - I refer to them as 'one size fits none'
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I can't really think of any gun related things that annoy me. Well, other than the usual unsafe handling practices by those that think they know better, but that's nothing new.

Other things, though, are the lack of handwriting skills among school children. I have a few nephews and nieces whose handwriting looks like a 4 year old's. Also, the use of things like "ur" in place of "you are" in texts or other typed verbiage. And the lack of punctuation or the proper or even semi-proper use of paragraphs to separate thoughts. Too much "auto correct" has led to poor spelling skills.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

C-dub wrote:I can't really think of any gun related things that annoy me. Well, other than the usual unsafe handling practices by those that think they know better, but that's nothing new.

Other things, though, are the lack of handwriting skills among school children. I have a few nephews and nieces whose handwriting looks like a 4 year old's. Also, the use of things like "ur" in place of "you are" in texts or other typed verbiage. And the lack of punctuation or the proper or even semi-proper use of paragraphs to separate thoughts. Too much "auto correct" has led to poor spelling skills.

Wut du yu meen? I thank ur refurin two this kind of speek

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”