Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

The prodigal returns home

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have come full circle. I've have returned to my roots. There's no place like home. Okay, enough with the clichés.

I'm returning to a 1911 in 45ACP as my EDC. I've been carrying a CZ Compact PCR for over a year now and I love the gun. It has never malfunctioned and that's quite a statement. With a 14 rd mag., one in the chamber and an extra mag on my belt, I'm carrying a very respectable 29 rds of 9mm JHP. If I still had young eyes, I'd stick with it or perhaps a CZ 75 Phantom. Alas, my eyes are as old as the rest of me and I simply cannot see the front sight as well as I want. On the range, I wear special glasses for shooting, but I don't wear them away from the range. Using a fiber optic front sight I can still shoot with reasonable combat accuracy even at some distance. I guess I'm fighting the aging process, but I want to be able to shoot like I did 20 or 30 years ago. A Deltapoint Pro allows me to do that, but that's not a good option for my CZ Compact.

I just bought a Springfield Champion Operator lightweight and should take delivery tomorrow. I'll shoot it to see if it needs any trigger work and to rule out any problems. Then it will to go Ed Vanden Berg (Vanden Berg Custom) to have a Deltapoint Pro milled into the slide. I chose to buy a Champion because it does not have a firing pin block as do my Colt Commanders and Kimber Pro Carry. That allows Ed to mill the slide deeper resulting in a lower installation of the Deltapoint Pro.

A good friend asked why I didn’t buy a Champion Range Officer in 9mm and have a 38 Super barrel fitted. He asked because I told him how much I like my Government Model 9/38Super that I’ve been shooting. If I want to carry a 38Super with a Deltapoint Pro, I’ll carry my Government Model (Springfield). I want 1) a 45ACP with a Deltapoint Pro; 2) in a Commander length gun; and 3) with an aluminum frame for EDC.

I originally left the 1911 45ACP because events over the last few years caused me to be concerned about capacity. I won’t go into a lengthy explanation why, but I no longer have that concern. With 9 rds. in the gun and two 10-rd mags on my belt (yes, 10-rounders), I’ll be carrying the same “combat load” I currently carry with my CZ.

Some will point out the FBI study (aka excuse) for abandoning the .40 S&W and returning to the 9mm. The FBI focused on follow-up shots which, to me, simply promotes “spray and pray” over accuracy.
As with everything gun related, it’s all a matter of choice. I choose a big bore lightweight gun with a RDS.

Ah, it’s good to be home!
Chas.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The prodigal returns home

Post by C-dub »

While I am still a few years younger than you, Charles, I too am fighting the aging eyes battle. I do have a very nice 1911, not as nice as some, but because of how narrow it is overall and its rounded top I find it difficult to pick up the front sight quickly from a draw or even low ready.

I have carried Glocks for most of my CHL/LTC life and switched from .40's to .45's a few years ago. Someone, I think it was The Marshal, quipped that in comparison it was like looking down a flight deck in regards to my 21SF vs a 1911. Ironically, it was fitting since I used to work on a flight deck when I was in The Navy. However, it is far easier for my to pick up that front sight than it is on my 1911.

I feel your pain and wish you well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

I'm picking up some Glow-on, florescent green/yellow paint for my new Ruger LC9S sights.

There are some great U-tube videos out there with different approaches to applying it, but for sure you can see the sights far easier with this stuff painted on.

For a belly gun such the LC9S, buying tritium sights isn't worth it to me.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Keep us posted on the progress and be sure to post a pic or 3 when it's done!!! I've never tried a deltapoint... or any other optic on a handgun before. I'm also fighting degrading eyesight and think that maybe a direction to investigate when funds permit.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have a Trijicon RMR on a Glock 19, but can’t get use to using it. I do however almost have to have XS Big Dot Sights, but I am not near as old as some. :coolgleamA:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Some will point out the FBI study (aka excuse) for abandoning the .40 S&W and returning to the 9mm. The FBI focused on follow-up shots which, to me, simply promotes “spray and pray” over accuracy.
As with everything gun related, it’s all a mater of choice. I choose a big bore lightweight gun with a RDS.

Ah, it’s good to be home!
Chas.
I tend to give recoil a lot of weight to accuracy. Much of my range shooting consist of double taps and Mozambique drills. Although I shoot strictly 9mm, the accuracy and speed that I can pull these off is effected by recoil. My smaller gun I can shoot just about as accurately when taking slow deliberate shots. but things change drastically when I attempt to speed things up a bit. The lighter weight gun takes measurably longer to get back on target. Maybe it's just me.

If they actually pass the reciprocity bill. I'll probably get a 1911, and find out if the difference is significant to me.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Glad to see that you've come to your senses.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I don't carry a 1911 .45 acp every day, but they are my best gun for accuracy. There is nothing like a sweet trigger.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

my two hi capacity .45s are:

Stainless XD45 with 1911 type thumb safety using 15 round magazines (13+PearceGrip +2 base plate) for 15+1 in the barrel
Glock 30S (slim slide & barrel like the 36, Slim Frame like 30SF) with 15 round mags (Glock21 mags PearceGrip +2 baseplates) for 15+1 in the barrel
I put extended ported barrels and BIG triangle Advantage Tactical Sights on so I can see

Usually though I still carry between one and 3 Glock 26s (9mm) two n the belt with 20+1 in the barrel each, ported barrels and Advantage Tactical Sights .. and the backup/3rd one I just bought from OldCannon as a pocket Glock with only 15+1 in the barrel in case I use up the other 42 rounds .... (which has night sights on it, but I bought Advantage Tactical sights for when they burn out in 10-15 years.

Ok yes, I live out in the country, and don't need all that firepower, but I bought ankle weights, don't wear them because they hurt, so I carry these for exercise (I still need huge sights, ported barrels help with the hand arthritis) :biggrinjester:

I'd like one of those compact 1911s, the small Kimber Ultracarry 2 felt nice when I tried one.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

There is nothing like a 1911. I know there are differing opinions, and to each his own - but there's nothing like a 1911. My old Government Model isn't just another unit off an assembly line, it's an old friend. I've been trying to think of the right word to describe what really comes to bear on a target, because it's more than mere gun metal.

It's perfection. Yes, that's it - perfection.

1911 perfection - somebody should use that as a marketing slogan. I bet it would sell a lot of guns.

:biggrinjester:

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

You can't beat a John Browning creation.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

flechero

Post by flechero »

treadlightly wrote:There is nothing like a 1911. I know there are differing opinions, and to each his own - but there's nothing like a 1911. My old Government Model isn't just another unit off an assembly line, it's an old friend. I've been trying to think of the right word to describe what really comes to bear on a target, because it's more than mere gun metal.

It's perfection. Yes, that's it - perfection.

1911 perfection - somebody should use that as a marketing slogan. I bet it would sell a lot of guns.

:biggrinjester:
Is your 1911 a gen 1, gen 2, gen 3, gen 4, gen 5 or the next gen to be released??? Which one was perfect again? :lol: :fire

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I sure wish I could stick to one carry gun but I cannot seem to do that. It's not a good idea to keep switching but I tend to rotate my EDC. I've been doing it to carry a smaller and lighter pistol but I need to stop going back and forth. I'm back to the G29 and although it only has a 10 round mag I carry two spare G20 (15 round) magazines with it. I have carried the new G43 a couple of times and I feel underpowered with "only" 21 rounds on me (7 in the pistol and two spare mags) so I threw an extra mag in my pocket. The 124 grain Speer Gold Dot shoots well in it but it does get a bit snappy. I may eventually do what Charles did and get the slide milled for an optic and see how I like that.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have crimson trace laser grips for my CZ 75 P01. Not sure about the range, but for self defense purposes, I really like lasers. Especially if they are easy to activate like the Crimson Trace.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”