Ruger announces pistol caliber carbine in 9mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger announces pistol caliber carbine in 9mm

Post by ninjabread »

CleverNickname wrote:I'd be more interested in one which doesn't use the takedown barrel, but had a Mini-14-style folding stock.
A Mini-14-style folding stock is dumb.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

I like the concept. I just do not like the looks.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:I too like the looks.

Trouble is I already have a 9mm carbine, (cough, cough, it's a Hipoint, yeah, yeah, I know, but it's never failed to shoot or eject, but yes, it's quite ugly) though I might consider selling it and get the Ruger.
I was just going to say that you could sell the Highpoint, buy the Ruger, and spare yourself ever again being embarrassed by admitting to owning a Highpoint. :mrgreen:

I laugh, but I have a friend who insists on using his Highpoint carbine in matches because he still does well, and makes the point that most of the time, it’s the shooter not the gun. Even so, my dignity has a price, and that price is higher than the cost of a Highpoint carbine. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:When they get below MSRP, I'll buy a Sub 2000, but I won't be hosed.

Locally, they want, get this: $750

Not from me.
Good heavens! :shock: I paid $419.99 for mine with my Christmas money exactly a year ago. When did the price jump like that?

....which reminds me....I have a bunch of Christmas money burning a hole in my wallet. I think I’ll be owing one of those Rugers soon. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

ninjabread wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:I'd be more interested in one which doesn't use the takedown barrel, but had a Mini-14-style folding stock.
A Mini-14-style folding stock is dumb.
My avatar sure gets a reaction, doesn't it?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

I want one. The thing is this is Ruger, I suspect that they will come out with a zillion adaptions If they follow the same pattern as they have in the past.

More caliber offerings at least in .40, 45 ACP.
Stainless
More Mag and Magwell options
Stocks ( Maybe a more tacticool, or laminate (Certainly some color options)

I think I'm going to wait a bit, I really like Ruger stainless and hope to see it available soon.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

If only they could have figured out a way to make it look uglier...
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SigM4 wrote:If only they could have figured out a way to make it look uglier...
Just ask the guys at Glock to help design it! :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

SigM4 wrote:If only they could have figured out a way to make it look uglier...
“Ugly is as ugly does”, mah mother used to say. Life is like a box of ammo......

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Abraham wrote:When they get below MSRP, I'll buy a Sub 2000, but I won't be hosed.

Locally, they want, get this: $750

Not from me.
I wouldn't pay that much either. You can build AR pistols for that much. I bought mine for much less so better prices are out there.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Liberty wrote:I want one. The thing is this is Ruger, I suspect that they will come out with a zillion adaptions If they follow the same pattern as they have in the past.

More caliber offerings at least in .40, 45 ACP.
Stainless
More Mag and Magwell options
Stocks ( Maybe a more tacticool, or laminate (Certainly some color options)

I think I'm going to wait a bit, I really like Ruger stainless and hope to see it available soon.

Oh... .45acp! Yes, Sir, I'm in!! I need a short range varmint gun/plinker/tractor gun and since I load .45acp, I'd be money ahead on ammo! :hurry:

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

At that price I would get a 45ACP AR instead if 5.56 recoil bothered me.
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!
Kavanaugh is here to stay!

The Annoyed Man

Nutcracker wrote:At that price I would get a 45ACP AR instead if 5.56 recoil bothered me.
5.56 recoil doesn’t bother me at all, and I have several weapons in that caliber. The charm of a 9mm carbine (or a .45 ACP carbine) that will use the same mags as your pistol is similar to the charm of having a lever action rifle that will chamber your revolver’s ammunition. It’s why I already own a folding 9mm Keltec Sub-2000 that takes Glock 17 mags. But, the Keltec’s superior concealability is offset by its not being terribly accurate. The sights on this new Ruger look better than the Keltec’s. Either have threaded muzzles to take my supressor, and either have an optic rail for an RDS, but the Ruger’s optic rail is an integral part of the alloy receiver, whereas the Keltec’s is part of the slightly flexible plastic handguard.

The Keltec is easy to fit in a briefcase......I’ve done it.....to carry it where handguns are banned by 30.06. But other than it being a pretty small package when it is folded up, deploying it is a pretty deliberate action that will draw a lot of attention if not done completely out of sight, so in that regard, I’m not sure that the Keltec is any quicker and unobtrusive at being deployed than the Ruger would be.

But if you wanted to throw the Ruger in a backpack in your vehicle instead of trying to carry it in a concealed manner, it seems to me that it would be more accurate and a more “natural” platform than the Keltec. Anyway, it seems like a neat little gun - ugly or not - and I wouldn’t mind having one at all.

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SQLGeek »

mrvmax wrote:
SQLGeek wrote: I also don't have a particular need for a pistol caliber carbine but I bet it's a fun, and cheaper to feed, range toy.
I like the idea of having both a long gun and hand gun that use the same caliber and magazines. I think with the longer barrel and an increase in velocity with an already powerful 10mm round it makes a formidable self defense combo. Once again if it were 10mm it could be used for hunting or as a truck gun.
If I had a Ruger or Glock pistol, I'd be all over this. Unfortunately (in this case), all of my handguns are S&W. If I could find a carbine that accepts S&W mags, I'd be in business.
Psalm 91:2

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SQLGeek wrote:
mrvmax wrote:
SQLGeek wrote: I also don't have a particular need for a pistol caliber carbine but I bet it's a fun, and cheaper to feed, range toy.
I like the idea of having both a long gun and hand gun that use the same caliber and magazines. I think with the longer barrel and an increase in velocity with an already powerful 10mm round it makes a formidable self defense combo. Once again if it were 10mm it could be used for hunting or as a truck gun.
If I had a Ruger or Glock pistol, I'd be all over this. Unfortunately (in this case), all of my handguns are S&W. If I could find a carbine that accepts S&W mags, I'd be in business.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... 26P+17%2B1

Happy New Year!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”