What are your 2018 shooting goals?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What are your 2018 shooting goals?

Post by twomillenium »

Scott B. wrote:What are your shooting/training goals for 2018? I had a pretty good 2017 and punched some big ones off my list (a challenge I'm going to post in a separate thread). I really want to push myself this year. How about you?

One thing I'm working on this year is pistol accuracy. I'm also in search of another good local'ish training class to take. Might make it to Gunsite this year if the schedule works. Not holding my breath, but hope the state sends me an invite to school safety certification this year. Finally somewhat related, have to renew my first aid/cpr/aed cert this spring, get into a stop the bleed class, and find some better trauma training.
Great post, Scott. It is not hard to go to the range, but it seems to be hard to get "me" time at the range. I think that will be a goal this year. I like the trauma training class, if you find one in the Houston area, let me know. It has been almost 7 years since I had a good trauma/bleed training class. I can't seem to find one that is open to the public in the Houston area.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

cedarparkdad987
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cedarparkdad987 »

Scott B. wrote:
oljames3 wrote:I am confident that I have achieved the 25% of Grand Master accuracy that Karl mentions in this artilcle on drills.
http://blog.krtraining.com/handgun-worl ... ls-plus-2/
Some great drills there. "The Test" looks challenging. Going to have to try that one for sure.
bobby wrote:Dude that target is tough. But I had fun tonight at the club.

https://flic.kr/p/DrCLEv
That one's fun isn't it? Nice shooting.
mr surveyor wrote:after the last 3 years .... my 2018 goal is to be physically able to at least go to the range more often.
Fitness is one I need to work on as well.
cedarparkdad987 wrote:Classify Expert at the next classification for IDPA. Complete the SO requirements at the next match.

Make top half of C level in USPSA.
I've only shot in a monthly, non-affiliated match the last few years. Unfortunately, that club shut down at the end of 2017. I'm going to have start shooting w/ one of the local IDPA/USPSA groups around here. Have no idea where I'll stack up so that might be a good challenge to tackle.
I think the next classifier is in about two weeks, and may have to SO it, so I might be able to achieve two goals soon

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

To find the 'sweet spot' on my LC9S.

So far, every time I shoot it, it's a surprise when I touch off a round.

Not so with the rest of my pistols/rifles, but this is one is still eluding me after...maybe 300 rounds.

cedarparkdad987
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cedarparkdad987 »

cedarparkdad987 wrote:Classify Expert at the next classification for IDPA. Complete the SO requirements at the next match.

Make top half of C level in USPSA.
Scratch one. Made SO today. Still working on expert but now within 6 seconds.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My more immediate goal: get an Ed Brown “drop in” (yeah right) threaded barrel I bought fitted to fit my 1911 so that I can play with the Rugged Obsidian45 suppressor I acquired the other day. I already have received (actual) “drop in” threaded barrels for my 9mm Glocks, easy peasy, from LoneWolf Distributors. But alas, most 1911 parts have to be fitted. Also, nobody appears to make a threaded barrel for a Springfield XD(m) .45 Compact 3.8. When I phoned them, they said they don’t sell barrels. When I asked if they knew who made barrels for that model, they referred me to Bar-Sto, which probably makes good barrels, except that it would be a custom-made barrel and cost a ton - not worth it to me.

Goal #2. I already got qualified at 800 yards on my precision rifle, but that was in April 2016. I’ve had a really busy time with grandkids ever since, and haven’t gotten out to my range much since then. I’d like to make it a point of getting qualified at 1000 yards this year (one of the reasons I purchased the particular spotting scope I reviewed HERE).

Goal #3. I want to restock the above mentioned precision rifle with either an adjustable M40 stock, or an adjustable chassis system, as I find it much harder to shoot from the prone than I used to, and the current stock - a pretty nice HS Precision varmint profile - gives me too much LOP and not enough cheek rest when shooting from the prone. Converting to a detachable box magazine from the current R700 BDL bottom metal would be a plus.

Goal 3.5. Get the barrel on that rifle threaded to accept muzzle devices.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Practice at least once a week so as to get maximum value out of my Texas Gun Club membership.

Buy fewer guns than I did in 2017 and get more enjoyment out of what I already have.

Shoot more 22 so as to not go broke on ammo doing the above.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:My more immediate goal: get an Ed Brown “drop in” (yeah right) threaded barrel I bought fitted to fit my 1911 so that I can play with the Rugged Obsidian45 suppressor I acquired the other day. I already have received (actual) “drop in” threaded barrels for my 9mm Glocks, easy peasy, from LoneWolf Distributors. But alas, most 1911 parts have to be fitted. Also, nobody appears to make a threaded barrel for a Springfield XD(m) .45 Compact 3.8. When I phoned them, they said they don’t sell barrels. When I asked if they knew who made barrels for that model, they referred me to Bar-Sto, which probably makes good barrels, except that it would be a custom-made barrel and cost a ton - not worth it to me.

Goal #2. I already got qualified at 800 yards on my precision rifle, but that was in April 2016. I’ve had a really busy time with grandkids ever since, and haven’t gotten out to my range much since then. I’d like to make it a point of getting qualified at 1000 yards this year (one of the reasons I purchased the particular spotting scope I reviewed HERE).

Goal #3. I want to restock the above mentioned precision rifle with either an adjustable M40 stock, or an adjustable chassis system, as I find it much harder to shoot from the prone than I used to, and the current stock - a pretty nice HS Precision varmint profile - gives me too much LOP and not enough cheek rest when shooting from the prone. Converting to a detachable box magazine from the current R700 BDL bottom metal would be a plus.

Goal 3.5. Get the barrel on that rifle threaded to accept muzzle devices.

1) My Goal is compete against you at 500 to 1K range, bring your gear and your shooting buddies too :biggrinjester:
2) Learn to shoot PSR style LR matches. Those positional props are crazy, something like a flying Carpet, PSR while riding a Camel, etc...
3) Shoot more of my LR rifles

Improve my ranking at DPC matches to be in the 70%
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

bmwrdr wrote:1. As in the past no ND's.
1. Review safety rules.
3. Go to the range on a regular base.

:cheers2:
That's a good list!

I was going to join the "get to the range more" gang, but like your first two as additional goals.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Do one or two "run and gun" style competitions. I like running. I like shooting. I like the fact that heart rate can ruin a good shot unless under control.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Cheapsk8

Post by Cheapsk8 »

rp_photo wrote:Practice at least once a week so as to get maximum value out of my Texas Gun Club membership.

Buy fewer guns than I did in 2017 and get more enjoyment out of what I already have.

Shoot more 22 so as to not go broke on ammo doing the above.
I joined and am a member as well. So far since joining have missed only one week. Bought and shoot a Ruger SR 22 with my son for the majority or rounds when we go and then finish up with my carry gun Walther PPS

as far as 2018 goals I would like to keep up the practice and work on speed and accuracy.
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Scott B. »

Shot the dot torture target at the range yesterday morning before the ice'pocalpyse hit. Had one shot out of bounds, and it was on the easy two and two section. Had a great strong hand/support hand sequence to boot. I have may have said some unkind things blaming everything but the idiot holding the gun. :biggrinjester:

I'll get it next time.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have waited to reply, because, while I plan to receive additional training, get more range time, etc.. My main goal, as it is everyday that I put my gun in my hip, is to only use it to shoot, inanimate objects, like paper, steel, or other targets. The only living targets I plan to shoot, are game animals, I plan to eat. I will continue, to enhance, my practice, and training regimen, but I hope I never have to deploy my training, in a self defense situation.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Jusme wrote:I have waited to reply, because, while I plan to receive additional training, get more range time, etc.. My main goal, as it is everyday that I put my gun in my hip, is to only use it to shoot, inanimate objects, like paper, steel, or other targets. The only living targets I plan to shoot, are game animals, I plan to eat. I will continue, to enhance, my practice, and training regimen, but I hope I never have to deploy my training, in a self defense situation.JMHO
:iagree:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

...and buy more ammo...I have....nyuck, nyuck!

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Scott B. »

Goal update.

My weekly therapy session at the range has been showing results. Finally ran the dot torture target clean at 3 yards a couple of times. I've since moved it out to 5 yards with optimistic visions of going to 7. Support hand, that pesky #8 circle, remains a challenge.

After running through it at 5 yards. I've been moving a fresh target out to 7 and just shooting bulls eyes in each circle, working my way down and back 1 shot at a time. Then trying a 3rd pass at speed. Overall, I'm pleased with my results and it's proven to be a really good challenge.

I'm throwing some other exercises in to keep things fresh.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”