What are your 2018 shooting goals?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 8

What are your 2018 shooting goals?

Post by Scott B. »

What are your shooting/training goals for 2018? I had a pretty good 2017 and punched some big ones off my list (a challenge I'm going to post in a separate thread). I really want to push myself this year. How about you?

One thing I'm working on this year is pistol accuracy. I'm also in search of another good local'ish training class to take. Might make it to Gunsite this year if the schedule works. Not holding my breath, but hope the state sends me an invite to school safety certification this year. Finally somewhat related, have to renew my first aid/cpr/aed cert this spring, get into a stop the bleed class, and find some better trauma training.

-----

Here's one drill I found on the web and have decided to master at 7 yards.

Dot Torture
Printable target: https://pistol-training.com/wp-content/ ... target.pdf

Tried it at 3 and 7 yards. Here's a 3 yard target with 4.5 out of 50 out. Support hand is a challenge the other 2 misses were simple inattention.

"Start at 3 yards. You have to get all 50 hits to pass. Once you can shoot the whole drill without a single miss, either increase the distance or add time pressure. For instance, try to finish the entire drill in under 5 minutes while maintaining 100% accuracy."

Dot 1 – Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.[/*]
Dot 2 – Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.
Dots 3 & 4 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, holster and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.
Dot 5 – Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.
Dots 6 & 7 – Draw and fire 2 shots on #6, then 2 on #7, holster, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.
Dot 8 – From ready or retention, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.
Dots 9 & 10 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #9, speed reload, fire 1 shot on #10, holster and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.

In lieu of drawing from a holster (range constraint), I'm picking the pistol up from the rest.

How are you challenging yourself? Got any great ideas? I'm looking to steal from the best. :thumbs2:
Last edited by Scott B. on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What are your 2018 shooting goals?

Post by SQLGeek »

Just shooting more would be an accomplishment for me.

I haven't really thought about this but I suppose I'd like to shoot a match of some kind and start going to the range with a purpose.

I'll need to think on this more.
Psalm 91:2

bobby

Post by bobby »

i like that. ok where did you get the target?
Here is what I do...

ImageRange time by bobbyjmestepey, on Flickr
:txflag:

STR8-SHOT
Posts in topic: 1

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Good shooting Scott. Last time I shot the Dot Torture from about 3yds, my only missed shot was outside the 1 circle, lol. I’ll work on it some more to and try to conquer it from 7yds.

I’d like to practice my dry-fire draw using my timer more and get faster. Mike Seeklander is recording some great free live videos lately on FB on his Shooting Performance page, if you’re interested.

I’ve also started back shooting matches with the Dallas Action Pistol Shooters Club at the Elm Fork Gun Range. If anyone else here shoots there, let me know, and we can say Hi.

David

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Get my Dillon press, improve my time and hits with my .40 in plate matches. Lower my time by 1.5 seconds with my 22 in the plate match.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Now that my 6mm-06 has a scope on it I intended to get it sighted in and hopefully do some coyote hunting, also plan to get the reloading bench up to par and work me up the perfect 6mm-06 load!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Just plain get to the range more. If I can accomplish that one goal I'll be able to shoot some of my guns I don't get to shoot very often. This past year, except for once with some forum members, I think the only time I went to the range was to shoot a shotgun match. A couple times I would shoot something else either before or after the match, but had limited time to do that.

I might have shot my 1903 Springfield, but can't remember if it was 2017 or 2016 now. I don't think I shot my Garand at all last year along with a few other fun ones. I just didn't have the time. If we can get our daughter driving that might help a little so we don't have to play taxi so much.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

SQLGeek wrote:Just shooting more would be an accomplishment for me.

I haven't really thought about this but I suppose I'd like to shoot a match of some kind and start going to the range with a purpose.

I'll need to think on this more.
Monty, not to pimp my other thread, but you want to shoot more take on the Winchester/NRA marksmanship challenge at PSC. I think you'd really enjoy it. A great deal of it could be done on your own.

Details here: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=91111

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

My goal is simply to shoot more. Life has gotten in the way far too much this year, and I have let range time slip. I've shot more in the last week than I did all year.
NRA lifetime member

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Get up to the farm more to shoot steel.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

bobby wrote:i like that. ok where did you get the target?
Found the target here: https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
STR8-SHOT wrote:I’ve also started back shooting matches with the Dallas Action Pistol Shooters Club at the Elm Fork Gun Range. If anyone else here shoots there, let me know, and we can say Hi.
Welcome. The northern contingent is pretty active here and I'm sure somebody will say howdy shortly.
Deitz83 wrote:Get my Dillon press...
crazy2medic wrote:...plan to get the reloading bench up to par and work me up the perfect 6mm-06 load!
Reloading - I'm tempted. Maybe I'll add that to my 2018 'things to learn' list.
C-dub wrote:Just plain get to the range more...
Amen. :fire

cedarparkdad987
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cedarparkdad987 »

Classify Expert at the next classification for IDPA. Complete the SO requirements at the next match.

Make top half of C level in USPSA.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Accuracy....Accuracy...Accuracy....
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I just got my CPR AED and BLS cert less than a month ago. I will be in search of more severe trauma training.

For firearms I plan on training more with my rifles this year as well as continue with my pistol skills.

JRG

Post by JRG »

I definitely need to get to the range more often. That's my first goal for this year!

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”