Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

SAR 9 - 9mm Semi-Auto - Own One?

Post by Abraham »

If so, please provide a review.

"Guns and Ammo" gave them an overall great review with one major ding - they come with crappy triggers, but they're also priced right and maybe either the trigger will smooth out after a 1000 presses or (or maybe, my idea, you could buy an after market trigger to smooth out a not so hot stock trigger)

Anyone...?

dino9832
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SAR 9 - 9mm Semi-Auto - Own One?

Post by dino9832 »

I don't own a SAR 9. But I have a Beretta Nano 9mm that has a notoriously long and hard trigger!
I'd say around 700 rounds, it really started to smooth out. In a video from Beretta, it was one of the side notes. I think the same would apply to any striker fired trigger.
Attachments
beretta Nano - Trigger Smooth.jpg

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

dino9832,

Thanks for the input, but I'm specifically interested in the trigger on the SAR 9.

Per the article, the criticism of it too me was poorly informational, or maybe I should say poorly specific, but I don't 'think' the trigger was long, just not right...

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Abraham wrote:dino9832,

Thanks for the input, but I'm specifically interested in the trigger on the SAR 9.

Per the article, the criticism of it too me was poorly informational, or maybe I should say poorly specific, but I don't 'think' the trigger was long, just not right...
You can send it to Pro Smith and will do the trigger job for around $100 or less
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

I had a chance to buy one at a great price, but honestly, once I tried the trigger I put it right back down. For the same price range I own both a Canik TP9SF and a Ruger SR9E... and they are both worlds ahead on the trigger.. Especially the Canik... I would recommend a trigger job if you really like the gun.. But again it may smooth out after 1000 rounds...

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Beiruty,

Thanks, I'll keep that information for the future. I don't own a SAR 9...yet.

Tex1961,

you posted: "I had a chance to buy one at a great price, but honestly, once I tried the trigger I put it right back down"

What specifically did you dislike about the trigger and thanks...

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Abraham wrote:Beiruty,

Thanks, I'll keep that information for the future. I don't own a SAR 9...yet.

Tex1961,

you posted: "I had a chance to buy one at a great price, but honestly, once I tried the trigger I put it right back down"

What specifically did you dislike about the trigger and thanks...
In single action it was REALLY gritty and there wasn't a clean break. In double action mode it was almost impossible to pull. The dealer, myself and a friend all tried it in double action and by the time we got the hammer to fall the muzzle was shaking so hard you wouldn't have been able to have any accuracy at all.

Personally I think it's a nice looking gun and was very interested in one myself, but like reviews you read the trigger isn't so good on it and while I don't believe everything I read, I tried it out for myself and well.. Let's just say I doubt I'll ever get one unless it has a trigger job.

There are just so many other quality firearms out there in the same price point that have better triggers...

allisji

Post by allisji »

:confused5

I've never heard of a SAR 9, so I googled it. A few independent reviews indicated the same things that you read about other cheapies and imports.

The SAR 9 is a striker fired gun, so Tex1961 must be talking about a different gun.

www.thetruthaboutguns.com states that the trigger is "gritty" and "wobbly". An "imitation" of a Walther PPQ. He complains that they included a safety lever due to regulations on imports, and also complains about the quality of the sights because his sights had poorly painted white dots.

Their opinion is that the gun should be priced like a Hi Point, and they give it one star out of five. Guns and Ammo gives it a passing grade, but this guy doesn't... so take that for what its worth. I think I would pass on it if I were you.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

allisji wrote::confused5

I've never heard of a SAR 9, so I googled it. A few independent reviews indicated the same things that you read about other cheapies and imports.

The SAR 9 is a striker fired gun, so Tex1961 must be talking about a different gun.

www.thetruthaboutguns.com states that the trigger is "gritty" and "wobbly". An "imitation" of a Walther PPQ. He complains that they included a safety lever due to regulations on imports, and also complains about the quality of the sights because his sights had poorly painted white dots.

Their opinion is that the gun should be priced like a Hi Point, and they give it one star out of five. Guns and Ammo gives it a passing grade, but this guy doesn't... so take that for what its worth. I think I would pass on it if I were you.
You are correct sir, and I apologize for my error... I was testing the SAR B6P...

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Tex1961 & allisji,

Thank you both for taking the time.

Not being a fan of el cheapo guns, the trigger on the SAR 9 sounds horrible and something I'll avoid.

Back when I could smoke cigars a common quip was: Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars. In addition, I'd like to add "Life's to short to buy cheap guns"!

In the interest of honesty I must also add: I bought one el cheapo gun as a truck gun. A Highpoint 9mm carbine. In all the rounds I've blasted through it, I've never had a failure. Not one single ftf or fte...not one. How many is 'all the rounds'? Roughly a 1000 and I've cleaned it once as it's a bear to break down, so I reach what I can without disassembly, clean and lube and it's good to go or at least has been. I think if it ever reaches a point I have to completely disassemble it to clean it, I'll give it away...and buy one I can break down without have to have the patience of Job...

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

I have a SAR B6P on layaway at a pawn shop. They sold it for $178 plus tax. Comes with one extended CZ mag. I'm pretty excited about getting it.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I sold one the other day, after reading the article I tried the trigger with the customer there and it felt fine. It’s the first one I’ve sold so I’m not sure if he got lucky or the one tested in G&A was a fluke. I had a Canik TP9 and comparing the two I think I’d stick with the TP9 since I think you get more for the money. The Sar has better ergonomics though but I’ll ask him to let me know if he liked it after he makes it to the range.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”