Franklin Armory coming out with non-NFA 11.5” AR variant

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Franklin Armory coming out with non-NFA 11.5” AR variant

Post by ELB »

earlwb wrote:It may be using an oval barrel like that Russian gun that was made for Russians recently. They use an oval barrel that has a twist to it to impart the spin....
This? New Russian 9.6x53mm Lancaster Cartridge

More on Charles Lancaster and Lancaster barrels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Lancaster

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/201 ... ndian.html
USAF 1982-2005

BBYC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BBYC »

We'll find out in a week. I hope this isn't over hyped like the Segway, which was going to radically transform our commutes. :lol:
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

BBYC,

The only time I've seen Segways was mall cops riding them and I always get a big laugh.

There's some goofy stuff out there for sale and yes, maybe even a bit of use for some of it, but mostly hype is hype is hype...

earlwb
Posts in topic: 3

Post by earlwb »

ELB wrote:
earlwb wrote:It may be using an oval barrel like that Russian gun that was made for Russians recently. They use an oval barrel that has a twist to it to impart the spin....
This? New Russian 9.6x53mm Lancaster Cartridge

More on Charles Lancaster and Lancaster barrels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Lancaster

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/201 ... ndian.html
Yes that is the one, I couldn't think of it earlier to do a search for it.

earlwb

Post by earlwb »

Abraham wrote:BBYC,

The only time I've seen Segways was mall cops riding them and I always get a big laugh.

There's some goofy stuff out there for sale and yes, maybe even a bit of use for some of it, but mostly hype is hype is hype...
I have seen the police using them at various events before. So other PDs are using them as well. But it is hard to say if they will continue to do so. I suspect Segway may have subsidized them.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

More interesting analysis:

https://youtu.be/F5Kdnq34Kj4
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I didn't think about a fire on release trigger. If this is the case and is allowed to be made, then hopefully this and the Shockwave, not a shotgun, can start a real movement to repeal the ludicrous NFA. I would be interested if I could buy the component or components that makes this not a NFA item, I'm done buying complete AR's.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

So, what if it fired multiple bulets on the release of the trigger??? What about if it didn’t have a trigger but released many bullets on the computer recognizing a fingerprint?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Ike Aramba

Post by Ike Aramba »

TreyHouston wrote:So, what if it fired multiple bulets on the release of the trigger???
If it fires multiple rounds with one trigger action, it's a machine gun.

TreyHouston wrote:What about if it didn’t have a trigger but released many bullets on the computer recognizing a fingerprint?
A trigger doesn't have to be mechanical. A GE M134 is a machine gun according to the ATF.
"Eastern European intellectuals, reading 1984 in clandestine editions, were amazed to find that its author had never visited the Soviet Union. How, then, had he captured its mental and moral atmosphere? By reading its propaganda, and by paying attention..."

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

ghostrider wrote:very interesting.
while I know the laws are goofy & illogical, how is that not a rifle?
It is not a rifle because either:

A. It has no rifling as defined by BATFE, and / or;

B. It is not semi-automatic or automatic fire as defined by BATFE.

The trigger they are showing in promotional materials fires a single round on trigger "pull" and a second round on trigger release. This categorizes the firearm as a firearm not a rifle, shotgun, or pistol according to BATFE.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Ike Aramba wrote:So, what if it fired multiple bulets on the release of the trigger???
If it fires multiple rounds with one trigger action, it's a machine gun.

Automatic is defined as one (unreleased) pull that fires more than one round. Release is not part of definition.

Ike Aramba

Post by Ike Aramba »

montgomery wrote:Automatic is defined as one (unreleased) pull that fires more than one round. Release is not part of definition.
I don't know where you got that definition of automatic, but I used the 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b) definition of machine gun. I think the ATF does too. :lol:
"Eastern European intellectuals, reading 1984 in clandestine editions, were amazed to find that its author had never visited the Soviet Union. How, then, had he captured its mental and moral atmosphere? By reading its propaganda, and by paying attention..."

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Ike Aramba wrote:
montgomery wrote:Automatic is defined as one (unreleased) pull that fires more than one round. Release is not part of definition.
I don't know where you got that definition of automatic, but I used the 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b) definition of machine gun. I think the ATF does too. :lol:
Yep. Single function of a trigger. The BATFE will tell you single function = single pull. Single pull excludes release from the single function because that is what stops the automatic fire in automatic mode. In part, this is from 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b):

(b) Machinegun. The term 'machinegun' means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can
be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

:cheers2:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Thanks for that video TAM. I think it makes sense that the company found the loophole in the way ATF defines trigger actions. Auto uses the term single function but rifle uses the term single pull. If it has the binary trigger, it is not auto because each round fired requires a difference trigger function (pull and release). It is not a rifle because one pull of the trigger fires two rounds.

I wonder how long this definition will last before legal action is taken to correct it. I also wonder if it could be reclassified by just the ATF making an administrative adjustment to its definitions.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”