Semiauto "Mouse" guns always out of stock

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 2

Semiauto "Mouse" guns always out of stock

Post by rp_photo »

For at least the past year, I've noticed that small semiauto guns of 32 ACP and less are never in stock.

Examples are Kel-Tec P32, Beretta Bobcat, Beretta Tomcat, and even the Taurus P22/22 PLY.

And of course Seecamp has been like this for years.

The exception are the NAA Guardians, which seem to always be available, along with most revolvers such as the LCR 22.

I figure this is either due to high or low demand.
Last edited by rp_photo on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Semiauto "Mouse" guns always out of stock

Post by warnmar10 »

Low demand and low margins. Why waste floor plan dollars and display space?

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

warnmar10 wrote:Low demand and low margins. Why waste floor plan dollars and display space?
I can see that being an issue for 25 and 32 ACP which are less effective and more expensive than the popular 380 ACP, but one would think 22 LR would still have an appeal being so cheap and fun to shoot. But then again, only mouse gun / 22 LR enthusiasts might appreciate them.

It seems there is a power gap between 22 WMR and 380 ACP / 38 SPL that no currently popular/readily available guns and ammo fill, which to me seems unfortunate.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rp_photo wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:Low demand and low margins. Why waste floor plan dollars and display space?
I can see that being an issue for 25 and 32 ACP which are less effective and more expensive than the popular 380 ACP, but one would think 22 LR would still have an appeal being so cheap and fun to shoot. But then again, only mouse gun / 22 LR enthusiasts might appreciate them.

It seems there is a power gap between 22 WMR and 380 ACP / 38 SPL that no currently popular calibers fill, which to me is unfortumate.
The other problem with 22 LR semi-autos is reliability. A good friend of my wife's is struggling to find a good gun for home protection. She has had shoulder surgery which eliminates shotguns and rifles. And her hands can't handle the recoil from a .38 or a .380. She got a Walther P22, but it is having reliability issues with all ammo that I have tried, including CCI mini-mags, and CCI Stingers. I may try to get her a .22 revolver.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

This.

The problem is that while 22 ammo is much cheaper, the guns are similar in price to a 380, or larger caliber. For most people a 22 is only for fun, and not for SD, so if they can only afford one, they go for a bigger bang for their buck. 32 caliber, is even lower in demand, and ammo is harder to find. Gun dealers, listen to their customers, and learn from having guns gather dust. While there is probably still a small niche market for smaller caliber mouse guns. They sit unsold while their big brothers fly off the shelf.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

Jusme wrote:

This.

The problem is that while 22 ammo is much cheaper, the guns are similar in price to a 380, or larger caliber. For most people a 22 is only for fun, and not for SD, so if they can only afford one, they go for a bigger bang for their buck. 32 caliber, is even lower in demand, and ammo is harder to find. Gun dealers, listen to their customers, and learn from having guns gather dust. While there is probably still a small niche market for smaller caliber mouse guns. They sit unsold while their big brothers fly off the shelf.
I agree with this being a small niche market but sometimes a mouse gun is the only thing you can carry. I have a .25ACP Colt vest pocket that I love. Fun to shoot. Accurate as long as you are within feet not yards. Problem with 22LR is that it is rimfire and they just don't always go off. Centerfire almost never fails. Keltec P32 are fine guns and hard to find but if you put in a notify at Bud's or one of the other outlets you will eventually be notified. Just realize that they are mouse guns and if you buy one I wouldn't buy hollow point ammo. Go FMJ.

https://imgur.com/PVHOdTj

Zombified

Post by Zombified »

The other problem with 22 LR semi-autos is reliability. A good friend of my wife's is struggling to find a good gun for home protection. She has had shoulder surgery which eliminates shotguns and rifles. And her hands can't handle the recoil from a .38 or a .380. She got a Walther P22, but it is having reliability issues with all ammo that I have tried, including CCI mini-mags, and CCI Stingers. I may try to get her a .22 revolver.
Have you tried Ruger SR22? I have had no reliability issues with mine.

*edited to quote relevant comment.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Zombified wrote:
Have you tried Ruger SR22? I have had no reliability issues with mine.
:iagree:

This is my 9 year old daughter's pistol (with a "pretty" purple grip) , and when we go out to the range, she is able to manipulate it without issue. It eats everything we throw at it. From CCI to the cheap 333 / 525 / 325 boxes, and anything in between.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

bobby

Post by bobby »

Have you looked at the S&W M&P 22 compact
:txflag:

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: The other problem with 22 LR semi-autos is reliability. A good friend of my wife's is struggling to find a good gun for home protection. She has had shoulder surgery which eliminates shotguns and rifles. And her hands can't handle the recoil from a .38 or a .380. She got a Walther P22, but it is having reliability issues with all ammo that I have tried, including CCI mini-mags, and CCI Stingers. I may try to get her a .22 revolver.
To me, this situation is begging for a pistol caliber carbine. How about the $300 HiPoint .380 Carbine?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rp_photo wrote:

It seems there is a power gap between 22 WMR and 380 ACP / 38 SPL that no currently popular calibers fill, which to me is unfortumate.
Try the Kel Tec PMR 30. Light and 30 rounds of .22 Mag.

bobby

Post by bobby »

oh come on people! Mouse guns are little as in the size of your palm 22/25/32 pistols..... not big honking 30 rd 22mags or 380's 9mm or rifles...

:rules:
:txflag:

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

My Aunt has a Beretta pistol in 22 short with the tip up barrel for loading. It seems to be very reliable. I believe they make the same gun in 22 LR and 32 ACP.

For revolvers, look at the Ruger LCR's. They have 22 and 22 mag models.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”