Kahr P9

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 1

Kahr P9

Post by ml1209 »

I spotted one at a pawn shop and wondered if this is a good gun. I like the single stack size. i was debating between this and the K9, which is the all-metal version. Which would you get?

EastTexasRancher

Re: Kahr P9

Post by EastTexasRancher »

I had a friend that showed me his last April. I fell in love with it, and had to have one. I came home, did some research, one website rabbit hole led to another, and I ended up fondling and buying at M&P Shield Performance Center .40. That being said, I still will end up with that Kahr at some point.

I think they're great CHL type pistols, and have a great reputation.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

EastTexasRancher wrote:I had a friend that showed me his last April. I fell in love with it, and had to have one. I came home, did some research, one website rabbit hole led to another, and I ended up fondling and buying at M&P Shield Performance Center .40. That being said, I still will end up with that Kahr at some point.

I think they're great CHL type pistols, and have a great reputation.
I had a PM 9, which I believe is just a bit smaller than the P9. The only thing I disliked about it was the very long, but extremely smooth, trigger pull. Well, that and the takedown / reassembly being a real pain.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I like the K9 much better... it feels great in the hand and balances well. I would bet it shoots great based on the weight and balance.

The K9 is capable of being both a EDC and a range gun- which is awesome if you like to shoot your edc a lot, and I do! Plus Kahr offers a trigger package on the K series guns, not offered on "regular models." Those 2 things make the K series my choice for sure. (and when I have some disposable income, I will probably buy a K9 and send it in for the trigger work.

http://www.kahr.com/custom-shop.asp
K9 Elite Trigger Upgrade
The Elite trigger upgrade for the K9 pistol includes the installation of an Elite trigger system performed by a factory technician. The Elite trigger shortens trigger pull. The Elite trigger system includes a highly polished trigger. Firearm will be tested for functionality. All parts are included in price. Not available in some states and cities.
$125.00 (includes cost of parts) + S&H ($25.00)

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

Have owned both the K9 and the P9 (and a PM9, TP45 and P380 & CT380... I like Kahrs) Difference in both is about half of pound in weight. Internals are the same for both. 8 ounces doesn't sound like much, but it does make a difference and that is why I still have the P9 and sold the K9. Both performed flawlessly for me, but the P9 & PM9 are just easier to carry. At least one of the above on my person when I can legally carry.

I have always liked a smooth double action trigger from days when a revolver was my only carry and some striker fire fans are not ready for the long pull on the Kahr. Only issues I have observed with my Kahr's are when a shooter insists on using a thumbs forward grip when shooting... the Kahr's are tightly sprung and even a little drag on the slide can interfere with function and cause an occasional FTF. Tucking the thumbs down has solved the issue for every shooter that experienced this when shooting my guns. Either is a good choice in the end if you can accept the trigger.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I have a Kahr PM9 and really like it.

Takedown isn't that bad. You pull the slide back to a disassembly notch. The slide release requires a bit of oomph to get out because a spring clip retains the slide release. I use a plastic screwdriver handle to push against the pin.

Reassembly is easy, but there's a gotcha. If the end of the recoil spring isn't completely captured by the land in the front of the slide, it won't reassemble. Took me a while to figure out what was getting in the way.

The manual warns against chambering a round manually. The best practice is to lock the slide back, insert the magazine, and release the slide latch.

The trigger is a long pull, but it's nice. The weight of the pull remains constant through the trigger motion, and that gives it a wonderful feel.

The grip angle is not quite the same as a 1911, but it's manageable.

I like it for situations that call for perfect concealment, and it's very accurate. If you do your part, you can score head shots at 25.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have a Kahr P-9 and I love the ergonomics of it, it is really a slick little gun.

The only problem is it does not like ammunition about a certain speed. Fired cases kept getting caught with certain ammo, and when I did some chronographing I realized that anything above a certain velocity*** would cause a jam, and anything under worked fine. It went back to Kahr Factory with a detailed description, and came back with new springs and a polished feed ramp and chamber -- but it did not solve the problem.

It is perfectly reliable with ammo that it likes, but I do not like having to be finicky about the ammo, and it won't use ammo that I like to use in other 9mms.

I think I have a thread about it somewhere here, from several years ago. I don't think this is a "fleet wide" problem, just this pistol. I should have pestered Kahr about it until they either fixed it or gave me another pistol, but other things came along, it went on the shelf, and I never got around to following up. I still shoot it and love the way I fits in hand and carries, just have to stick to what it likes to shoot.

***It was during this testing that I found out that +P ammo does not necessarily mean higher velocity.
Last edited by ELB on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I really like my PM40. To me the long trigger pull is fine for a CC SD weapon. If I ever have to use mine in a self defense scenario I probably wouldn't even notice it!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I've had a CW9 for almost 10 years and have no complaints. I had originally wanted the stainless MK9 but when searching and finding the nearest one to be about 100 miles away .... and almost $800 ..... I gave up. Then found the CW9, fell in love and had the Trijicon night sights installed (by Kahr) within a couple of months. I later bought it's little cousin, the CM9, but sold it after a couple of years. The CM9 was also trouble free itself.

I particularly chose the Kahr for the cam action trigger mechanism, and the long pull closely compares to my daily field carry Ruger SP-101.

Even though the MK9 has had a history of developing cracked frames, I still want the MK9 (actually MK45).

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

I have a K9 and love it. The ergonomics are fantastic and it is extreamly well balanced.

If you are in the Austin area and want to take it for a test spin, I can make myself available most of the time.

Also, my wife wants me to thin my heard of pistols if I want to buy another riffle. So this one is on my "would consider parting with" list just because I have a few smaller pistols.

PM me if you are interested in testing or buying.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

mescobar_rpls wrote: PM me if you are interested in testing or buying.
Not to shortcut the line... I sent you a PM hoping for the second chance, if the OP passes. :tiphat:

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I have the P40. It's my EDC, and has been for years. I switch up every now and then with a Baby Eagle in 45, and a P239... But the P40 is just the right size (it's the same size as the P9).

For me the PM is too small. It doesn't fit my large hand very well. I haven't shot the K series, but I don't think the weight difference would bother me much. As with all EDC selections, it's a very personal choice. But that is my experience.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”