Kel-Tec SU-16C - Advise Appreciated!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Kel-Tec SU-16C - Advise Appreciated!

Post by MechAg94 »

https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/su-16e

I noticed Keltec makes an SU-16 variant that appears to have a sturdier build. It is also more expensive. Not something I would want to buy without seeing it first hand.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:If you are willing to drop to 9mm, you might look at the new Ruger 9mm carbine though it doesn't fold up. Or look at some of the less expensive AR pistols. 300 BLK is a thumper at short ranges compared to 223. I didn't get a 300 BLK until last year and I have been impressed by it.
I think I like that Ruger 9mm carbine a lot. I have a .300 Blk SBR, and it is a great round too. That said, I think that .223/5.56 is going to be more versatile for most users. But I agree that the Ruger 9mm carbine would be a great choice. And I like that it will take my Glock pistol magazines.
The .300 BLK is a great round but the ammo is a bit pricey, Its pretty hard to beat out 9mm or 5.56 on costs. . I find myself wanting the 9mm Carbine, The adapter to allow for different mags is pure genius!. If someone comes up with an adapter for a non striker type handgun like the ones for the P series or M9/92FS The temptation would be irresistible.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 2

Post by maverick2076 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
dino9832 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:... the rail being integral to the plastic receiver so it’s not rigid the way a metallic rail on metallic receiver would be. But as I recall, the iron sights worked OK. But I’ll have to chat him up and see what he says. I might not be remembering correctly....
I don't know if I'll ever get used to plastic parts! "rlol" Granted, I'm sure the critical components of the Kel-tec are still metal. I used to drive a Harley Sportster, and one of the games I'd play with my kids was "find the plastic." Most all of that bike was metal. Don't get me wrong, I respect what technology has done with lightweight polymers. But I'm still going to have a problem getting into a plastic airplane if they ever make such a thing.
The Sub-2000’s rail is plastic too. I did purchase a part from an aftermarket vendor that stabilizes the plastic forend right next to where my RDS mounts, but I haven’t tried shooting it yet with that part on it to see if it makes a noticeable difference. With the provided open sights and my Mark 65 eyeballs, the Sub-2K’s POI is pretty dispersed. It’s “minute of man” at short ranges like 25-50 yards, but not a whole lot better than that. Not to mention that the front sight block is very slightly off, making it necessary to adjust the front sight post full-left to horizontally center the POI on POA. That’s a QC problem. It’s remedially, but still.

That said, for what it is, the Sub-2K is a fun and utilitarian little carbine. I would expect the same kind of description to apply to the SU-16 .....a fun and utilitarian carbine with accuracy adequate to self-protection at ranges inside of 150 or so yards. It is NOT something that I would consider as a substitute for an AR15. If you want a Keltec for that, as a replacement for an AR15, I would look to Keltec’s RDB bullpup rifle. I wouldn’t mind having one of those at all, but MSRP is $1275.00, and the street prices run around $1100.......IF you can find one.

Under the dictum that you own every round you send downrange, and where it ends up, you’d probably be better served by spending $500 on a DPMS Oracle at Cabela’s than spending $500 on a SU-16 at Sportsman’s Warehouse.
I've been seeing the RDB's for as low as $899, so prices are coming down.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

maverick2076 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
dino9832 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:... the rail being integral to the plastic receiver so it’s not rigid the way a metallic rail on metallic receiver would be. But as I recall, the iron sights worked OK. But I’ll have to chat him up and see what he says. I might not be remembering correctly....
I don't know if I'll ever get used to plastic parts! "rlol" Granted, I'm sure the critical components of the Kel-tec are still metal. I used to drive a Harley Sportster, and one of the games I'd play with my kids was "find the plastic." Most all of that bike was metal. Don't get me wrong, I respect what technology has done with lightweight polymers. But I'm still going to have a problem getting into a plastic airplane if they ever make such a thing.
The Sub-2000’s rail is plastic too. I did purchase a part from an aftermarket vendor that stabilizes the plastic forend right next to where my RDS mounts, but I haven’t tried shooting it yet with that part on it to see if it makes a noticeable difference. With the provided open sights and my Mark 65 eyeballs, the Sub-2K’s POI is pretty dispersed. It’s “minute of man” at short ranges like 25-50 yards, but not a whole lot better than that. Not to mention that the front sight block is very slightly off, making it necessary to adjust the front sight post full-left to horizontally center the POI on POA. That’s a QC problem. It’s remedially, but still.

That said, for what it is, the Sub-2K is a fun and utilitarian little carbine. I would expect the same kind of description to apply to the SU-16 .....a fun and utilitarian carbine with accuracy adequate to self-protection at ranges inside of 150 or so yards. It is NOT something that I would consider as a substitute for an AR15. If you want a Keltec for that, as a replacement for an AR15, I would look to Keltec’s RDB bullpup rifle. I wouldn’t mind having one of those at all, but MSRP is $1275.00, and the street prices run around $1100.......IF you can find one.

Under the dictum that you own every round you send downrange, and where it ends up, you’d probably be better served by spending $500 on a DPMS Oracle at Cabela’s than spending $500 on a SU-16 at Sportsman’s Warehouse.
I've been seeing the RDB's for as low as $899, so prices are coming down.
Cool! Where have you seen them?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Chemist45 »

BTW, if you are just looking for an AR type 223 that you can fire from the folded stock, why not look at a Ruger Mini 14?
They are sturdy, you can get a folding stock, they will fire from the folded position.

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 2

Post by maverick2076 »

Keep an eye on gun.deals. That’s where I’ve seen them. Also, GT distributors in Austin

Topic author
dino9832
Posts in topic: 7

Post by dino9832 »

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
I've decided on a S&W M&P Sport II! Good and solid build. It doesn't fold up, but it's pretty short with collapsed stock. So far, I'm impressed and really happy with it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Annoyed Man wrote:A friend of mine has one, and kind of likes it for a ranch rifle sort of thing. He also owns ARs. The Keltec is not as accurate as his ARs, and I’ll have to check with him to see if I remember correctly, but I think that it didn’t hold zero with an optic mounted to it - the rail being integral to the plastic receiver so it’s not rigid the way a metallic rail on metallic receiver would be. But as I recall, the iron sights worked OK. But I’ll have to chat him up and see what he says. I might not be remembering correctly.

I myself have a Sub-2000 9mm folding carbine. It works reasonably well for what it is, as far as reliability goes. I suspect that a 9mm AR would be a lot more accurate.....but cost more.
My friend got back to me with the 100 yard results for his SU-16. Here is what he said:
Checked my targets. I shoot 5 shot groups. Best groups were with Hornady Varmit 55 gr and Hornady Steel Match 55 gr. Each about 2.5 MOA. But both also have tight shots and fliers. The Varmit would be just under 1 MOA with 4 shots, the flyer brings it out to 2.5 MOA. The Steel Match is about the same except with 2 fliers. Sierra Match 77 gr is 4 MOA....Hornady Black 62 gr was about the worst with 5 shots spread out over five inches at 100 yards...no grouping. Just as bad as some of the cheapest ammo. 2.5 MOA is doable with a careful ammo choice.....avg of all ammo I shot probably runs about 3-4 MOA.
Those results are the inverse of what I would expect for a 1:7 twist rate, and far more consistent with a 1:12 or 1:9 twist rate. That leads me to believe that their published twist rate is incorrect.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
dino9832
Posts in topic: 7

Post by dino9832 »

That's not bad!
I think my next big purchase will be a scope. I'm really leaning towards the Primary Arms 1-6X24mm you recommended. All reviews have been favorable about it. Especially for the price.

It's painful, as I was really wanting to save up for a Glock G43. But there comes a time when a guy has to ask himself "What could I use the most?"
And "Everything!" isn't a very realistic answer. :lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”