Clean and lube polymer weapons

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Clean and lube polymer weapons

Post by bblhd672 »

What are you using to clean and lube your polymer based firearms? I've been using Hopps 9 products, but also have some Slip2000 clean/lube products too. Been reading good things about M-Pro 7 line of clean/lube products.

What do you use for cloths while cleaning and for wiping down your weapons after use?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oljames3

Re: Clean and lube polymer weapons

Post by oljames3 »

bblhd672 wrote:What are you using to clean and lube your polymer based firearms? I've been using Hopps 9 products, but also have some Slip2000 clean/lube products too. Been reading good things about M-Pro 7 line of clean/lube products.

What do you use for cloths while cleaning and for wiping down your weapons after use?
S&W M&P
Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil
Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner

I use Hoppe's because it is cheap and in stock at my local Walmart. I also use wipes such as LeadOff or D-Wipe. Patches, bore brush, and toothbrush. I understand to some folks enjoy researching and comparing cleaning stuff. I just want to clean my pistol inexpensively, easily, and well.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I use Ballistol. Some don't like the smell but I don't mind it very much though it is a little funky. Does a good job cleaning although you will need something a little stronger for copper fouling. The nice part about Ballistol is that it won't harm wood or plastics plus it is non-toxic. I don't bother with grease on the slide as I've found repeated use of Ballistol makes the action quite slick on its own. The only thing I use grease on is my M-1.

I bought a bunch of microfiber towels from Amazon that I use for wiping guns down although I find cut up old white t-shirts seem to work fine as well.

For the bore I use a handgun cleaning rod, pro shot patches, a cleaning jag and brush. A nylon brush or tooth brush to clean the other parts and long handled q-tips for the hard to reach areas.
Psalm 91:2

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I use Hoppes #9 and their oil. I have a tube of grease called TW25 that was given to me a couple of years ago and might outlast me (I use it sparingly) While on my semi rifles I use oil quite liberally. I am willing to another solvent or CLP someday but what I have works well. I use microfiber to whipe down my guns while cleaning, and a Hoppes silicone cloth after cleaning to wipe down fingerprints. A bore snake to clean my barrels.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

$1.00 carb & choke cleaner, 5w30, bronze brush, nylon toothbrush, cloth patches/t-shirts.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Old T-Shirts.
Ballistol and sometimes Breakthrough Solvent (no odor and so the wife likes it the best).
Lube with Battle Born Lube (Breakthrough) on rifles and Gun Butter on pistols.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

I clean everything in a little Lyman ultrasonic cleaner filled with wet water, a couple of drops of Dawn and a splash of Simple Green. I lube the rail and barrel parts that run metal to metal with Mobil 1 Synthetic. The polymer parts get a light spray of Low Sheen Armor All. I use a nylon bristle brush to get the Armor All into the crevices and checkering.

Oh and I have a bottle of Hoppes #9 that I open and sit near where I'm working just for the aroma. That smell takes me back to my childhood and my dad cleaning his guns.

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Archoil AR4200.
Ok let me hear everything bad about this product.
It is nano tungsten disulfide.
I have some but have not shot a gun with it.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I use M-Pro 7 cleaner and/or Slip 2000, then lube with either Slide Glide (grease) for pistols or Slip 2000 EWL for rifles. Will probably convert over to Slip 2000 products entirely when it’s time to repurchase grease next time. Very impressed with them.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

For cleaning: Gun Scrubber, CLP, Hoppe's bore cleaner, brass brushes, and old t-shirts.
CLP, RemOil, and lithium grease for lube.
But carb cleaner and mobil 1 work in a pinch.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”