New thumb snap holster

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

New thumb snap holster

Post by bblhd672 »

Just received a new leather DeSantis thumb snap holster for my M&P 9. Did the break in for the holster and the gun fits great.

However, the thumb snap is very difficult to open. Any hints or tips on making it easier beyond just snapping it shut and open over and over again?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New thumb snap holster

Post by Abraham »

Vaseline apply with a q-tip

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Abraham wrote:Vaseline apply with a q-tip
Thanks I’ll try that.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have that same holster, and I took some very fine steel wool, and polished the snap, until it was still, tight, but could be opened, with my thumb, easily during the draw. YMMV
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

It’s been my experience with the snaps that until the paint wears on the underside of the snap it’s pretty tight. It will get better

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Thanks for the suggestions. The paint on the snap is already beginning to come off, I’ll try the steel wool on it,

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

I just got a desantis thumb break for a p320 (p250, actually) for dirt cheap, myself. The videos I've watched say "no oil, mink oil, etc" use the thumb of either hand to massage and heat the leather of the thumb snap to stretch it into place. I did it, it works. The holster is quite amazing considering the price I paid.
Do you have the 2.0? Does the desantis holster fit ok? I only ask because I recently acquired a 5" model, and am having a little trouble finding one for it.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

growlerVII wrote:I just got a desantis thumb break for a p320 (p250, actually) for dirt cheap, myself. The videos I've watched say "no oil, mink oil, etc" use the thumb of either hand to massage and heat the leather of the thumb snap to stretch it into place. I did it, it works. The holster is quite amazing considering the price I paid.
Do you have the 2.0? Does the desantis holster fit ok? I only ask because I recently acquired a 5" model, and am having a little trouble finding one for it.
I bought it for my new 2.0 Compact. Didn’t have any problems getting the the strap snapped, it’s just very difficult to unsnap. Still need to get to a hardware store for fine steel wool to use on the snap.

My 2:0 Full size 5” barrel will fit with an inch of barrel out the bottom.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”