Mossberg. Have they improved?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Mossberg. Have they improved?

Post by cmgee67 »

I am really considering picking up a mossberg shockwave. My LGS usually sells them between 3-350 depending if they are running a sale. I have never owned a mossberg gun of any kind. I know there are people who swear by them. Normally I wouldn’t even consider buying a mossberg because I grew up on Remington shotguns. But Remington is not the same as it used to be. I was looking at my 870 compared to a new one the other day and I was very dissaponted in the quality of the new one. Every mossberg I’ve handled felt cheap and didn’t seem like it was well made either. But that being said I havnt picked up a mossberg in about 10 years. If they are good guns and I’m missing out please inform me!

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mossberg. Have they improved?

Post by EastTexasRancher »

I don't know which Mossberg you've fondled, but they make a fine shotgun, particularly (IMHO) self defense shotguns.

A very nice 590 sleeps by my bed 24/7, and I'm 100% confident in its reliability should it ever need to be used.

Good luck with your choice.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Have had a Mossberg 500 20 gauge since 1973 and it has always worked just fine. Bought a 12 gauge Model 500 20 inch barrel HD shotgun in 1978 and except for a minor malfunction in 1984 with the extractor which was easily fixed, no issues. Bought another 12 gauge 500 for hunting in 2006 and works great. last year bought a Mossberg JM Pro and love it. Son has a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge and it has worked fine for him

Great value and reliability.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

I chose the Shockwave over the Remington Tac-14 for a few reasons. First, the one shell extra capacity that comes with the Mossberg. For some reason Remington made theirs 4+1. Second, I like the shell lifter arrangement, safety switch, and bolt release placement better than Remington's. I own a older Remington 870 for hunting. Put side by side, the Mossbulerg looks a little rougher, but, in a more utility oriented way. Shooting it, the Mossberg functions perfectly. Also, thanks to the design of the store mentioned shell lifter, a cheap adapter makes the Aguila mini shells cycle correctly unlike the Remington.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

The mossberg I handled long ago was a maverick 88 and it felt like I could shake it apart and the machining didn’t look up to par to Remington. It was very loose and looked like you spray painted the finish on it. That being said it was a 120$ shotgun. I’ve never handled a 500. It always seemed to me the Remington was heavier duty built. I know our military uses both Remington and mossberg as well as many LEO agencies so there’s something to be said. Maybe I’ll give the shockwave a try. I’m all for giving something a chance. If I end up not liking it I’m sure I can resell it quickly. The safety location will be a learning curve as I am used to the button safety behind the trigger guard on the Remington.

dlh

Post by dlh »

I recommend that you carefully handle the one you are thinking about purchasing. You can tell a lot from the "feel."

My newly acquired Mossberg 500 from a couple of years ago had light primer strikes right out of the box. I sent it back to Mossberg and it works fine now with no issues. Having said that, it seems to have a lot of "plastic and aluminum" on it.

I do not believe the Remington or Mossberg shotguns manufactured today are as good a quality as the ones made back in the seventies. I inherited my dad's Remington 1100LT-20 semi-automatic shotgun and it is truly a thing of beauty.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

From personal experience selling guns back in the 60's and 70's I can tell you Mossberg provides solid well made firearms at intermediate prices compared to Remington and Winchester. They came out with a centerfire bolt action rifle back then that was well designed and very well made. I was always chagrined when I'd show one to a customer; they were surprised at the quality. They mostly had the idea Mossbergs were inferior firearms, which they weren't; then or now. Beside a Mossberg 500 I have the Shockwave in 12ga. The additional shell capacity and ability to use an adapter for mini shell helped me make my choice over the Remimgton TAC-14 as well as the strap on the forend that looked like a useful addition, which turned out to be. When I shot it I was impressed with the ergonomics of the grip. I'm sure a lot of time was spent coming up with the design to make it comfotable. The strap was a definite plus.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

ive had a 590 Mariner for over 20yrs, its never skipped a beat. I'll never part with it, i have no doubt my son will have it his entire lifetime after i'm gone.

god bless.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have a less than $200 Maverick 88 that works great. I also have a $3,000 plus Browning over-under. It works great. I would not hesitate to buy a Mossberg again.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

cmgee67 wrote:The mossberg I handled long ago was a maverick 88 and it felt like I could shake it apart and the machining didn’t look up to par to Remington. It was very loose and looked like you spray painted the finish on it. That being said it was a 120$ shotgun. I’ve never handled a 500. It always seemed to me the Remington was heavier duty built. I know our military uses both Remington and mossberg as well as many LEO agencies so there’s something to be said. Maybe I’ll give the shockwave a try. I’m all for giving something a chance. If I end up not liking it I’m sure I can resell it quickly. The safety location will be a learning curve as I am used to the button safety behind the trigger guard on the Remington.
The top mounted safety was a concern for me. Especially the sharps edges of the step design. I was worried the gun would slip back and I'd end up with a cut on the web of my hand. I didn't shoot 3", shells but the 2¾" shells were no problem with the well designed grip. I held the gun up in front of my face to aim and the recoil was not a problem. The strap on the forend is a big help and gripping it against the front attachment point makes a big difference.

I watched a Hickok45 video of him shooting one handed in each hand and he had a cut on the web of one of his hands. I didn't try that. :lol:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

rotor wrote:I have a less than $200 Maverick 88 that works great. I also have a $3,000 plus Browning over-under. It works great. I would not hesitate to buy a Mossberg again.
:iagree: I had a Maverick 88 that I traded for a vintage full sized frame Remington 20ga 1100 semi-auto. There was nothing to dislike about the Maverick, I couldn't pass up a trade like that.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I wasn’t aware that they needed improving. The 500 model has been around for years, and has been in use by police departments for decades. The 590 model was designed in response to a request for an upgraded shotgun for the military. The Shockwave is just a shorty 590, so it ought to be at least as rugged as the full sized gun.

I have a 590A1, and I really like it. It has thicker barrel walls than either the 870, or even a Mossberg 500. The A1 version comes with rifle type sights, and most of the A1 models have a 20” barrel with an 8 round magazine tube. So total onboard the weapon is 9 rounds, not counting whatever shell holders you screw to the receiver or wrap around the stock. I don’t know that I would call this a “complaint”, but my only desire would be for the stroke of the pump action to be a little lighter and smoother right out of the box, but it also kind of broke in after not too many rounds.

There are Youtube videos of people using this model to hit with slugs at crazy distances for a shotgun.

At 100 yards:
https://youtu.be/FQearB6S6AU

Save guy at 200 yards:
https://youtu.be/ksDWEB3MaYs

Anyway, I’ve never owned an 870, but I am way more than satisfied with the 590A1, and will probably pick up a Shockwave in the next few months.

This is the model I bought: http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-51668/.

Here’s what I did to it:

Enhanced safety switch:

XS Sight Systems rear peep sight and rail:

XS Sight Systems “Big Dot” front tritium sight:

I have since added a sling, and the AndyC design package (shown here):

The next upgrade will be a Magpul buttstock and forend kit with a tactical light mounted.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I wasn’t aware that they needed improving. The 500 model has been around for years, and has been in use by police departments for decades. The 590 model was designed in response to a request for an upgraded shotgun for the military. The Shockwave is just a shorty 590, so it ought to be at least as rugged as the full sized gun.
:thumbs2: :lol: I almost went there.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”