Talos Ballistics bulletproof clothing

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Talos Ballistics bulletproof clothing

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

What do y'all think of this company's offerings? https://talosballistics.com/product/tal ... ase-layer/

They make a whole line of bulletproof clothing that is intended to look non-tactical, including the undershirt that I linked to. It seems like this, or one of their jackets, might be a decent option for those of us who want some protection without looking all "tacticool".

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Talos Ballistics bulletproof clothing

Post by WTR »

Bullet resistant.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:What do y'all think of this company's offerings? https://talosballistics.com/product/tal ... ase-layer/

They make a whole line of bulletproof clothing that is intended to look non-tactical, including the undershirt that I linked to. It seems like this, or one of their jackets, might be a decent option for those of us who want some protection without looking all "tacticool".
I'm wondering what will happen when a bullet pushes the undershirt through your torso and out the other side? :shock: Unless the material has some significant rigidity that I'm not seeing, I'm not sure how much it would help...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It's supposed to be level IIIA compliant. I am not an expert, by any means, but isn't that the same rating as soft armor panels and carriers that you can get from AR500 and other sources?

From their web site:

•Talos Ballistics incorporates the latest DuPont Kevlar technology in the construction of their bullet resistant panels allowing us to supply you with one of the lightest, thinnest and most flexible ballistic package on the market

•Meets the NIJ IIIA Ballistic Resistance Standard, 0101.06

•The NIJ IIIA standard is rated to stop most hand gun rounds, including 9mm, 357 Magnum, 40 Caliper, 44 Magnum, and 45 caliber hollow point ammunition and more.

I am not sure what they mean by "stop" but I would assume this means "does not penetrate". Perhaps one of the experts can educate me here?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

I am not an expert, but this specification defines the requirements for the test and the pass/fail criteria.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf

A quick read shows that the material is wetted and then placed over backing material composed of clay on a plywood board.
The passing requirements are no penetration and a maximum divot depth in the clay.

This is a video of the test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBFkwoD7i1Y
NRA Endowment Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Almost looks like the shirt from John Wick 2. May not penetrate but I bet it hurts pretty good.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Does the owner of Talos back his product by allowing himself to be shot while wearing it? :biggrinjester:

Don't remember the company, saw a video where the owner put on his bulletproof vest and was shot in it. He trusted his employees work quality a lot more than I would.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bblhd672 wrote:Does the owner of Talos back his product by allowing himself to be shot while wearing it? :biggrinjester:

Don't remember the company, saw a video where the owner put on his bulletproof vest and was shot in it. He trusted his employees work quality a lot more than I would.
I would question the sanity of a company owner who did that. Reminds me of the following misguided "safety" demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Why not wear a IIIA vest with regular clothing? I'm in the process of getting a IIIA panel sown into my satchel/man purse. The panel was $125 shipped from bullet proofme.com (nice folks in Austin), and I got the leather satchel on deep discount at a going out of business Kenneth Cole outlet for maybe $80. $30 for my tailor leaves me at the cost of their cheapest option with a much nicer bag.

Food for thought.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

MaduroBU wrote:Why not wear a IIIA vest with regular clothing? I'm in the process of getting a IIIA panel sown into my satchel/man purse. The panel was $125 shipped from bullet proofme.com (nice folks in Austin), and I got the leather satchel on deep discount at a going out of business Kenneth Cole outlet for maybe $80. $30 for my tailor leaves me at the cost of their cheapest option with a much nicer bag.

Food for thought.
I don't carry a backpack or satchel, but I do carry a laptop case, and I have a soft armor panel from AR 500 in one of the "document" slots. No need for sewing. In my car, I also have a second laptop case which holds my Sub-2000, extra mags, and another soft armor panel. I carry that when I am not carrying my computer, and I need to go somewhere that might be 30.06 posted.

The appeal of this company's products to me is not their bags. I am more interested in one of their jackets, or the undershirt that I linked to. With the current trend of Global Cooling that doesn't look likely to change any time soon (in spite of my efforts to educate folks on the need to buy SUV's and idle their vehicles as much as possible), I am wearing a leather jacket that looks like the one they sell. Except that mine has no bullet proof properties. I think this would be less of a change from my "normal" attire, and that a IIIA vest would be more bulky.

stroo

Post by stroo »

They have some other interesting products too like a bullet resistant portfolio. I could see carrying something like that although how are you going to know when to raise it and where to cover yourself with it. Still interesting though

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote:I am not an expert, but this specification defines the requirements for the test and the pass/fail criteria.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/223054.pdf

A quick read shows that the material is wetted and then placed over backing material composed of clay on a plywood board.
The passing requirements are no penetration and a maximum divot depth in the clay.

This is a video of the test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBFkwoD7i1Y
Tell you what, pretty much any one of those impacts though is a possible broken rib or a deeply bruised muscle with a large hematoma. It’s better than being penetrated by the bullet, but still......nothing to laugh at. Unfortunately (or not, depending on circumstances), none of the people I saw in our ER being treated for GSW were wearing a vest, so I’ve never personally seen someone hurt this way, but you can google for images of people with bruises from bullets stopped by vests, and there’s a bunch of them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Some of the companies mentioned sell vests with plates for less than $400. Not easily concealable at that price but if the Schumer hits the fan, maybe that's not so bad.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

BBYC wrote:Some of the companies mentioned sell vests with plates for less than $400. Not easily concealable at that price but if the Schumer hits the fan, maybe that's not so bad.
I have a tactical vest with level III steel plates. It sits by my bed at night, and is something that I can throw in my trunk. But it's not really suitable for daily wear. Something like the undershirt or the leather jacket that Talos offers with integrated soft armor panels might fill the role of an "Everyday wear" piece, like my Sig P938 fills the carry gun role on those days when I am not dressed for a full size 1911.

I should also note that I like the undershirt with removable soft panels that I was able to find from Bulletproofme.com. I just wish these came in a V-neck since I don't like to expose the neck of my undershirts.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

https://www.ar500armor.com/plate-carrie ... t-pkg.html

AR500 Armor has concealment plate carriers. There are various options for what sort of plate or soft armor goes in them. They look a lot like the undershirt link above with maybe less material hiding the plate carrier.

I have only bought steel targets from them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”