The p365, g27 and musings of size efficency.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 4

The p365, g27 and musings of size efficency.

Post by surferdaddy »

By a combination of buying, selling, trading, and unfortunate boating accidents; I have had a few pistols go through my hands through the years. I like guns and am always looking for equipment that will better mitigate my lack of abilities when it comes to personal protection. I get bored, I am fickle and I love new stuff.

A few years ago I acquired a Glock 27. I immediately found it to be 100% ugly and utterly boring. It just doesn’t feel "special," it lacks a personal feeling to me. I am drawn to weapons that make you imagine it was made by elves and delivered by the "Lady of the Lake." The Glock 27 feels like it was mechanically "crafted" in a plastic hanger factory; which in a way it was. When compared to other weapons in my humble arsenal I am tempted to call the G27...soulless.

I have also found the plastic fantastic to be 100% reliable, robust, and durable. In short it is 99.9% trustworthy. Why not 100%? Because all machines run over a long enough period of time will fail. I have felt this way towards other handguns. I have this same confidence in some Sig Sauers, HKs, and others I have come to know. However, the Glock does all of this without fuss and it is without fail more rustproof, lighter, and smaller than other guns in similar calibers and capacities. And it seems to look better when it is a bit used looking so I drop it; eh, no biggie.

So now there is greener grass on the other side of the fence. Sig Sauer just dropped the p365 bomb. I have yet to handle one and thus cannot attest to anything other than its size, weight and capacity. Many are claiming that the little Sig will cut into other manufacturers sales and if this gun proves reliable and durable; it likely will. Why carry a similar sized single stack 9 when this gun will give you 10 +1 rounds instead of 6 or 7 +1, right? So as I considered what guns I own that the p365 might displace for carry I again considered the Glock 27.

Nope; if I had a Glock 26 then the p365 May make more sense, but try as you may sig, you just won’t fit 9 rounds of 40 s&w into the p365. The reason I have always (somewhat reluctantly) gravitated to the g27 is because it is the ultimate Goldilocks gun IN 40 S&W. In 40 caliber, Glock has conquered size efficiency.

Perhaps Sig has conquered size efficiency in 9mm in the p365, time will tell and if it proves as good as it claims to be I will buy one. However, the boring, awesome, soulless, comforting little 40 will always annoyingly remain...thank goodness.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Topic author
surferdaddy

Re: The p365, g27 and musings of size efficency.

Post by surferdaddy »

So, are any guns in your Arsenals feeling a bit...threatened by the new kid?
CHL/LTC instructor

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

I have yet to handle one but based on the pre-orders I have, Sig has a hit on their hands. In the last 6 years, I can't think of another model of any brand that's seen this much movement sight unseen. Glock 43 could be a close contender but then again people had seen the 42 so it wasn't such an unknown.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It sounds like I'm a lot like the OP, except that I don't really have a desire for a .40 cal gun. I had one, only because there was a real need that it fit, and I couldn't locate a 9mm version anywhere. That one has since been sold, replaced by the 9mm version I was able to find.

I will likely try out the P365 at some point. The dimensions and capacity are just too compelling, and I have had good experiences with Sigs in the past. My P938 has a consistent place in my carry rotation, and this gun may likewise be a contender. But I will probably wait a while to get one. There are too many other guns in my safe that I need to break in. And from what I hear it wouldn't hurt to give Sig some time to work out the kinks with this new wunderkind of theirs.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I don't keep up with the new stuff coming out... this thread was the first I have even heard of a p365.

However, after looking up the specs, it's pretty interesting. It's roughly the same size of a PF9, with 3 extra rounds and a striker vs a DAO. I think I'd like it!

A quick check of gunbroker shows that they are currently selling for $200+ OVER MSRP! I bet the price comes down in a month or so... and by then there should be some holsters available for a southpaw and all the idiots will be done smacking them with hammers. :lol:
surferdaddy wrote:So, are any guns in your Arsenals feeling a bit...threatened by the new kid?
I'd consider selling a gun or 2, to fund it... but nothing that's been shot in the last few years. I have some trade fodder locked away. SO those guns would be excited to get traded and maybe used! ....lol :biggrinjester:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just saw a YouTube video a couple of days ago of a P365 going through a 1000 round test, and it repeatedly failed to go into battery. If I can find the video, I’ll post it here.

And by the way, the Army is having trouble with their new MHS pistol (Sig P320): http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... -troubles/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I just saw a YouTube video a couple of days ago of a P365 going through a 1000 round test, and it repeatedly failed to go into battery. If I can find the video, I’ll post it here.

And by the way, the Army is having trouble with their new MHS pistol (Sig P320): http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... -troubles/
I have seen that video. It is somewhat concerning. Their 365 seemed to only choke in 115gr magtec. I also seem to remember that they didn’t first clean the sig junk off the pistol. I am not trying to stick up for this gun, I’m actually glad that people are wringing these little pistols out. I won’t buy one until they get all the bugs out.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I rotate carry guns quite often but other than a 938 I used to have I usually don’t carry Sig. Sigs are normally more expensive and their mags are usually overpriced too. It also bugs me when manufacturers only provide one magazine, no pistol should be sold with less than two mags and mine came with one (as do many others I’ve sold). If I’m carrying it I need multiple mags and that can get expensive.
People are excited about the new Sig but it does not intrigue me. If I want extra capacity in my G43 I carry an extra mag (I have five total when I use it for RDC). I realize many people do not carry sparemags but since I always do a couple extra rounds makes no difference to me. So else will the Sig give me that my other carry guns won’t? Is it really that much better than my G43 that’s Cerakoted I am American flag pattern with a Zev trigger? BTW, there are always aftermarket upgrades for Glocks. I know, some may say it’s not needed for other guns but I like to know I have options.
So in the end I’m sure I’ll sel or transfer some of the new Sigs. When I get them in I’ll ask the buyer if I can handle it but in the end I won’t buy one. Well, unless Sig offered a good rebate, or free mags with purchase but those are two more things Sig normally doesn’t do. I never intended to buy a Shield but due to the low cost and rebate I did and then dumped money into a better trigger and extra mags and then sold it to a forum member. Oh the life cycle of an EDC gun......

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've had one experience with a Sig, certain it was a great gun!

After a few rounds it came apart.

No, it didn't blow up, just one of the parts simply fell off and the rest were wobbly.

Sure any gun can fail, but this was a real surprise.

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Abraham wrote:I've had one experience with a Sig, certain it was a great gun!

After a few rounds it came apart.

No, it didn't blow up, just one of the parts simply fell off and the rest were wobbly.

Sure any gun can fail, but this was a real surprise.
Wow; I’ve had some bad luck with a new gun but I don’t think I’ve ever had one fall apart on me.

I got burned on an lc9 when they first came out. I got one the first week and it wouldn’t run. Failures of all sorts and it had the primer back flow into the pin channel problem. It went back to Ruger twice and it still wasn’t right. To Ruger’s credit; they were very nice and good to work with but I think the gun was just junk in the beginning. I worked with a good gunsmith who got it to run reliably so I could sell it in good conscious.

I haven’t even shot a Ruger since then. I completely understand the feeling of having a bad gun; it is very disappointing and nerve racking.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I'd wait with the acquisition of a SIG P365 or any other brand until there is a reputation built.
As TAM said there is a video on youtube showing failures to go in battery, be careful what you ask for.
On the other hand it is a sub $600 gun from a manufacturer with a good reputation for high end models, be careful on this one.
I personally like the specs of the P365 but have not held one in my hand either.
I will wait and see :cheers2:

Edit: Here is another thread about the same gun. http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=91374
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

surferdaddy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I just saw a YouTube video a couple of days ago of a P365 going through a 1000 round test, and it repeatedly failed to go into battery. If I can find the video, I’ll post it here.

I have seen that video. It is somewhat concerning. Their 365 seemed to only choke in 115gr magtec. I also seem to remember that they didn’t first clean the sig junk off the pistol. I am not trying to stick up for this gun, I’m actually glad that people are wringing these little pistols out. I won’t buy one until they get all the bugs out.

Surfer
It’s why I didn’t go any further with the criticism. It’s one video of one weapon. I just ran across that TFB article about problems with the MHS/P320 pistol and thought I’d mention it. It may just be that the P365 doesn’t like that Magtech ammo, but is fine with everything else. Without testing, there’s no way to tell. I guess my point is to caution anyone thinking of buying one to try and borrow or rent one first and test different loads in it before spending the money on it.

BTW, you’re right about the Glocks.......they are ugly as sin. OTH, they perform so flawlessly that somehow they charmed me out of carrying 1911s, and now, between my wife and I, we own two G43s, one G26, two G19s, and one G17. They’re like rabbits.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lena

Post by Lena »

I have nothing but praise for SIG quality in the old 226 I own and those I have seen and shot I have no plans on a new one, I carry and have along time a G32 2gen and do not intend to stop I went from a 1911 platform and love them still owning 5 now, what started the change was a leg injury and I shoot matched and have along time I cant shoot my 1911's and leave the brass and it was hard to pick it up for me so I went to a 1911 9mm and then to Glocks. That started it for me and the more I shot them I just kept it up. Then we were issued 357 SIGS and my quest for a 32 started and took 3 years to find one in G2, I have never cared for a 40 cal.
Stay Safe

flechero

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: BTW, you’re right about the Glocks.......they are ugly as sin. OTH, they perform so flawlessly......
I had a buck for every time I heard that... I'd buy a custom 1911 :biggrinjester: You are right though, Glocks are very ugly- I mean: generally very reliable. :lol: I just can't get over the grip width and angle on the glocks. (if they changed it, even on 1 model- they's probably see a huge jump in sales.)

As to the 365, I'd like to see them run that test again (starting with a clean gun and with ammo about 0.010" shorter OAL... then see if it ran the table.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”