Safariland QLS

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Safariland QLS

Post by cmgee67 »

Does anyone have experience with the safariland QLS system? I ordered one last night for my 7TS ALS holster and I also bought another ALS holster for my G43. I think I’ll really like the concept of the QLS. I should be able to leave one part of the mount on my belt and be able to take the holster on and off without removing my belt. This seems like a very easy way to carry. I always hate having to disarm while going into the post office or court house because I have to undo everything go in and then put everything back on when I come out. Another question. Is the mount pretty secure or is it flimsy? I am hoping it’s like most safariland products and it’s very rigid.

oljames3

Re: Safariland QLS

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote:Does anyone have experience with the safariland QLS system? I ordered one last night for my 7TS ALS holster and I also bought another ALS holster for my G43. I think I’ll really like the concept of the QLS. I should be able to leave one part of the mount on my belt and be able to take the holster on and off without removing my belt. This seems like a very easy way to carry. I always hate having to disarm while going into the post office or court house because I have to undo everything go in and then put everything back on when I come out. Another question. Is the mount pretty secure or is it flimsy? I am hoping it’s like most safariland products and it’s very rigid.
I have carried my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS with Guard and QLS since I got it almost a year ago. I had been carrying my Tanfoglio BTA-90 in a paddle holster. Being able to easily remove the holstered pistol was working really well for me. The QLS made removing the holstered pistol even easier and it is much more secure on my belt than a paddle holster. I am very happy with this setup. Safariland rates the QLS as Level 1 retention using their criteria.

The QLS is very secure. It is thicker than the 7TS ALS shell.

I carry openly, so the added width of the QLS is no issue for me.

I have both the QLS22 and QLS22L receivers. The QLS22L has posts at the bottom which require you to pull out on the bottom of the locking fork and then push in to unlock the mount. I can unlock the QLS22 with one hand, but have to use both hands to easily unlock the QLS22L.

I also use the 565BL belt slide from holsterops.com. My Kore Essentials Gun Belt is too stiff and thick to easily slide through the standard Safariland belt slide. The 565BL also allows for more flexible cant adjustment

Here are some pictures of my EDC with my Kore Essentials Gun Belt.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

Thanks for the heads up on that 565BL belt loop mount. I just added that to my wishlist and will be picking one up soon.

That's been one of my biggest complaints of how the QLS attaches to the standard belt loop adapter that they pretty much send with all of their holsters. It's made specifically to attach to the holster directly. Just mounting the holster to it allows easy access to the belt loop holes. But when you attach the larger QLS mounting plate, it's wider than the holster and very hard to put your belt through the holes and get it positioned.

I really like how comfortable the paddle holster and ALS holster is on my side. It sits nice and tight to the body which I like. However, I don't mind the added 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of space it adds if I can have the QLS system and use my setup on all my carry pistols.

I really like how modular the QLS system is. They have a mount for all uses. On body or off. I plan on picking up one of the belt snap mounts they have for things like a backpack strap mounting, and if I ever get something with MOLLE on it, I can get some of those mounts too.

Alien Gear has tried to copy this with their Shape Shift system and their various mounts, but I'm a big fan of the ALS system that Safariland has on their open carry holsters and I wanted to keep that added level of safety. I even added the guard and at the end of the day I can simply take the whole holster off my belt and put it in my nightstand still in a Level II retention (sort of). You would still need to flip open the guard and press the ALS release button.

It's even more so if you are out and about and need to take it off, mount it in your car/truck, mount it at home, all while keeping it in the holster.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I bought a pair of used ALS Holsters for my Glock 21 a couple or so years ago whenever open carry became legal in Texas. Loved the locking system but I was not familiar enough with the modularity of the holsters and availability of the QLS system so I sold them. The light mount holster was also a drop mount and constantly got in the way when I sat down was the main reason for me selling.

I did some reading up on the QLS and decided to give it a try again and I love it. When I'm going to be in the car for a while, it's easy enough to remove the holster without having to take off my gun belt and and unthread everything. With the QLS system, I can easily remove the holster, even with one hand and somewhat discreetly, before getting into my car and just as easily install it when I get out. And as a side note, this is much easier on my leather seats as they do not leave an "impression" of the holster every time I sit down.

And thanks for the suggestion on the 565BL belt slide, I'll have to order one pretty soon to try it out. I've been using the paddle setup because the belt slide would not fit either of my gun belts. Paddle seems to be pretty secure but for $12 it's worth giving it a try.

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

The QLS is solid. I use one of my 3gun belt with a larger size holster. I find on the larger holster its sometime hard to get to the release even with my skinny fingers. With the smaller holster I think it'll be a piece of cake though.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”