Double-stack 9mm with the thinnest grip

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Double-stack 9mm with the thinnest grip

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Crash wrote:I currently have both a Glock 43 and a S&W Shield in 9mm, but I would like more capacity--say at least 12 rounds. The problem is that I have small hands/short stubby fingers and have trouble getting a good grip on a pistol with a double-column magazine. What is the thinnest-gripped, double-column 9mm out there?

Thanks,

Crash
If you are in the Houston/Friendswood area, I'd be happy to take you to PSC as my guest and let you try my CZ Compact and CZ P-10C. The Compact PCR has a Cajun Gunworks Pro Kit installed and this includes a reach-reduction kit for the trigger. I also have thin grips on it. It's a 9mm with 14 rd mags. The P-10C has a 15 rd mag.

Chas.
:iagree:

CZ and their clones, seem to have prefect ergonomics, for small hands like mine. I have a full size M&P that is also very comfortable, but doesn't fit the requirements for the OP for a smaller framed pistol. You might also look at the Taurus PT111. 12 round mag,while still small enough and thin enough to be easy to conceal. While Taurus, has had questionable QC in the past, they now put a lifetime warranty on their guns. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crash »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Crash wrote:I currently have both a Glock 43 and a S&W Shield in 9mm, but I would like more capacity--say at least 12 rounds. The problem is that I have small hands/short stubby fingers and have trouble getting a good grip on a pistol with a double-column magazine. What is the thinnest-gripped, double-column 9mm out there?

Thanks,

Crash
If you are in the Houston/Friendswood area, I'd be happy to take you to PSC as my guest and let you try my CZ Compact and CZ P-10C. The Compact PCR has a Cajun Gunworks Pro Kit installed and this includes a reach-reduction kit for the trigger. I also have thin grips on it. It's a 9mm with 14 rd mags. The P-10C has a 15 rd mag.

Chas.
Charles,

I live in Fredericksburg, but I do get to Houston (Fulshear, actually) a couple of times a year--I'm just not sure when those times will be. However, if it looks like it will be in the fairly near future, I'd like to take you up on your very generous offer.

Thanks,

Crash

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

My EDC is a Beretta PX4 SC . It is a DA/SA hammer operated. It's has a 3 inch barrel and comes with 13 rnd Mags. one of them has a convenient snap down pinky extender.
I have short stubby fingers, but I still use the medium sized backstrap. and it works well for me. I believe the smallest backstrap will work for some pretty small hands. If you could be happy with a DA/SA I'm pretty sure this gun would be pretty suitable for you.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

The Sphinc SDP sub compact has a 13 round flush fit magazine and a rather slim grip.
Sizewise it feels like a Glock 26 with a taller grip and it is a CZ knockoff made in Switzerland.
It is the most accurate out of the box handgun I own and it is reliable with high quality ammunition.
The overall build quality is outstanding and the only modification I made was replacing the factory front sight with a fiber optic sight.

Downsides: It is expensive (ca. $900 out the door), it is ammo sensitive, spare magazines at about $45 and finding a holster is nearly imposible in less you have one custom made.

Spec's are here https://www.ammoland.com/2015/09/sphinx ... z56QrUloQe
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

I'll add another second for the CZ. It's quickly become one of my favorite handguns due to it's ergonomics. My wife would likely disagree though. Her Ruger SR9c is still at the top of her list.

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crash »

Solved my problem today: bought a S&W M&P 9C. With the smallest backstrap it hardly feels any bigger than the Shield. Capacity is 11 +1, so it's about the perfect combination of capacity and size. As a plus, it's a lot easier to rack the slide.

So, thanks for all the recommendations--really appreciate them.

Crash

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Try the Sig P232 or the Walther PPK. Nothing fits my hand like my 232 with the Hogue rubber grip.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John Galt »

ckelly9460 wrote:You may appreciate the FN Herstal FNS-9C
:iagree: It has been my daily carry for several months.

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

I just got a CZ P07 and the grip is pretty slim imho for a 15-rd double stack mag

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Crash wrote:Solved my problem today: bought a S&W M&P 9C. With the smallest backstrap it hardly feels any bigger than the Shield. Capacity is 11 +1, so it's about the perfect combination of capacity and size. As a plus, it's a lot easier to rack the slide.

So, thanks for all the recommendations--really appreciate them.

Crash
You must have gotten a M1.0 9C? The M2.0 is 15 round capacity and it's definitely heftier than my Shields.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

The Smith and Wesson SW1911 E series is 1 1/4 inch thick but pricey.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I found my Glock 19 double stack needing additional material in the form of a Hougue Handall grip and my hands are relatively small.

Funny, how we all differ...

Now, to my latest addition (Ruger LC9S) I also added a Hougue Handall grip and frankly would wish the grip a small amount larger even with the Handall Grip addition, but as is, isn't a problem per se, just for me a matter of preference not function. I can shoot it just fine, just like fatter grips.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

ml1209 wrote:I just got a CZ P07 and the grip is pretty slim imho for a 15-rd double stack mag
IMO, the CZ P10C has a thinner grip than the P07. I pulled out my P07 again yesterday and it felt a bit fat after carrying the P10C for a while.

My vote for thinnest grip is to consider the CZ SP01 Phantom. They are selling them again in the US. The width of the grip is thinner than the regular SP01. It is not a small pistol, but it is thinner than a lot of guns with less capacity.

stroo

Post by stroo »

You can use full sized M&P 9 mags in your M&P9c. With a spacer on the full sized mag, you get 15 round and basically a full sized grip. That's how I carry my M&P 9c. I shoot it a lot more accurately with the full sized mag.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”