Double-stack 9mm with the thinnest grip

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Double-stack 9mm with the thinnest grip

Post by Crash »

I currently have both a Glock 43 and a S&W Shield in 9mm, but I would like more capacity--say at least 12 rounds. The problem is that I have small hands/short stubby fingers and have trouble getting a good grip on a pistol with a double-column magazine. What is the thinnest-gripped, double-column 9mm out there?

Thanks,

Crash

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Double-stack 9mm with the thinnest grip

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I think it's hard to beat the Sig P365 on that front. But good luck finding one. It's a new gun and supply has not quite caught up to demand.

That or you could go with a 2011 in 9mm if you don't mind the cost.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Unsure if such has changed, but I read somewhere years ago that the M&P 9 with the smallest backstrap installed had the shortest trigger reach of any double stack pistol in the industry. I have had the subcompact (with pinkie extension) as a training gun for just over 8 years now. It has been rode hard and put up wet and still runs fine, especially for folks with small hands/short fingers.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Your best bet is to go to a gun store/range that rents pistols and try several. Specifications are a good starting point, but there is no substitute for actually handling the pistol.

Of the many pistols they have sampled, my youngest brother and my wife both prefer the Walther PPS M2 as it fits their hands best. My brother finds my M&P, even with the smallest palm swell, to be too large for his hand; mostly in being able to reach the trigger. My wife, on the other hand, enjoys shooting my M&P and does so very well.

Walther has an 8 round magazine for the PPS M2. The PPS M2 LE comes with 6, 7, and 8 round magazines. My wife carries her LE with a round in the chamber; 8+1. She also carries a 7 round magazine for a total of 16 rounds on her person. The Walther would give you a pistol that will probably fit your hands (you have to try it for yourself) with only a 3 round reduction from your stated desired capacity. Carrying an additional magazine mitigates that issue.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Add a Taran Tactical magazine extension to your G43.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

carlson1 wrote:Add a Taran Tactical magazine extension to your G43.
:iagree:

ELB

Post by ELB »

Go handle a Browning High Power.

I also have short fingers, but with the contouring and set-up of the BHP I have no problem gripping the gun and reaching the trigger without crabbing my hand around.

It is not striker fired, it is a single-action, so there is a slide safety involved.

But is a very sweet pistol to hold, and has the added advantage of being very flat which makes it easy to conceal for a full sized service pistol.

Standard magazine holds 13 rounds, mags up to 17 and 20 rounds available.
USAF 1982-2005

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

It's expensive (less than buying a new gun) but you could convert your Shield or Glock 43 mags with Magguts that would add +1 or +2 to your magazines.

The Shield 8 round mag would only be a 1/4" longer with the 8 round magazine and you'd get a 10+1 capacity in your gun.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and doing the +2 for both of my Shield mags.

https://www.magguts.com/

Also, have you looked at the Glock 26 Gen 5 with the smallest grip option? Could be something to consider.

The advice you received about renting as many guns as you can is the best advice.
Psalm 91:2

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

John Galt wrote:
I agree. That’s what I did. I run the plus 2 in the gun and carry a back up 6 round mag. 15 rounds of 9mm is plenty for me.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

cmgee67 wrote:
John Galt wrote:
I agree. That’s what I did. I run the plus 2 in the gun and carry a back up 6 round mag. 15 rounds of 9mm is plenty for me.
I carry the plus 3 in the gun and a plus 3 on my belt. It functions flawlessly. My son is a LEO and off duty he carries a G43 with a plus 2. He just qualified the second time with his and not one failure.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Crash wrote:I currently have both a Glock 43 and a S&W Shield in 9mm, but I would like more capacity--say at least 12 rounds. The problem is that I have small hands/short stubby fingers and have trouble getting a good grip on a pistol with a double-column magazine. What is the thinnest-gripped, double-column 9mm out there?

Thanks,

Crash
I have small hands too. My solution was M&P 2.0 in both full and compact sizes. Four sizes of back straps and very aggressive grip stripling. Full size 17rd mags, Compact 15rd mags
This past weekend I shot a Walther PPQ and it fit my hand very well too.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Papacub

Post by Papacub »

I have the same problem with the glock, so I checked at a gun show and test fit everything that was in my price range and fit my hand. I settled on the Ruger SR9C. Double stack, comes with a 10 rd mag and a 17 rd. Mag. It feels real good.
:txflag:
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA

ckelly9460

Post by ckelly9460 »

You may appreciate the FN Herstal FNS-9C
Brave Rifles

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

you might want to check out the sphinx sdp subcompact. it's by far the best grip for my small asian grip lol. 13+1
Last edited by aaangel on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Crash wrote:I currently have both a Glock 43 and a S&W Shield in 9mm, but I would like more capacity--say at least 12 rounds. The problem is that I have small hands/short stubby fingers and have trouble getting a good grip on a pistol with a double-column magazine. What is the thinnest-gripped, double-column 9mm out there?

Thanks,

Crash
If you are in the Houston/Friendswood area, I'd be happy to take you to PSC as my guest and let you try my CZ Compact and CZ P-10C. The Compact PCR has a Cajun Gunworks Pro Kit installed and this includes a reach-reduction kit for the trigger. I also have thin grips on it. It's a 9mm with 14 rd mags. The P-10C has a 15 rd mag.

Chas.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”