Ruger PCC 9 Takedown Review

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TxD
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger PCC 9 Takedown Review

Post by TxD »

I have been shooting/testing the Ruger for almost a month. (1800rds)
It has not malfunctioned in any way, This includes different brand ammo including hollow point and WW
White box. My 147 Bayous are 1.14 loa and 105 Bayous are 1.04 loa.

It is lightly modified with a Glock 2 port comp, added lead in the butt for balance, and a mild trigger job (polishing).
I normally shoot an AR platform with 16" JP barrel, Taccom comp, Hyperfire 24c, JP bolt and Blitz hydraulic buffer.
With the comp installed the dot movement is virtually identical in both guns, Small movement to the 2 o'clock and back.
Without the comp, dot movement is a small right hand circle. In either configuration the dot stays in the "A" zone at 25 yds.

My reloads shot to shot with the Ruger are .3 to .6 slower due to the location of the mag release.
Transitions are the same but splits are .02 to .04 slower. This is due to the trigger.
The trigger has very little pre travel or creep but suffers from excessive over travel. This results in a long reset and could
be corrected with a trigger stop. I believe this is the reason for the higher split times.
Initially the trigger pull was 4.5 lbs. After only polishing the internals, the pull is now at 4 lbs.
At the present time no trigger/hammer parts are available from OEM or aftermarket so I am hesitant to get too aggressive
with the stones.
The trigger, sear, disconnecter and hammer are similar to the 10/22 so when parts become available (Volquartsen?) the
trigger pull should get in the 2.5 to 3.5 area.
Overall I am very pleased with this gun.
Black Rifles Matter

ml1209
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger PCC 9 Takedown Review

Post by ml1209 »

Nice review, thanks. Now if only it wasn’t so ugly.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TxD wrote:I have been shooting/testing the Ruger for almost a month. (1800rds)
It has not malfunctioned in any way, This includes different brand ammo including hollow point and WW
White box. My 147 Bayous are 1.14 loa and 105 Bayous are 1.04 loa.

It is lightly modified with a Glock 2 port comp, added lead in the butt for balance, and a mild trigger job (polishing).
I normally shoot an AR platform with 16" JP barrel, Taccom comp, Hyperfire 24c, JP bolt and Blitz hydraulic buffer.
With the comp installed the dot movement is virtually identical in both guns, Small movement to the 2 o'clock and back.
Without the comp, dot movement is a small right hand circle. In either configuration the dot stays in the "A" zone at 25 yds.

My reloads shot to shot with the Ruger are .3 to .6 slower due to the location of the mag release.
Transitions are the same but splits are .02 to .04 slower. This is due to the trigger.
The trigger has very little pre travel or creep but suffers from excessive over travel. This results in a long reset and could
be corrected with a trigger stop. I believe this is the reason for the higher split times.
Initially the trigger pull was 4.5 lbs. After only polishing the internals, the pull is now at 4 lbs.
At the present time no trigger/hammer parts are available from OEM or aftermarket so I am hesitant to get too aggressive
with the stones.
The trigger, sear, disconnecter and hammer are similar to the 10/22 so when parts become available (Volquartsen?) the
trigger pull should get in the 2.5 to 3.5 area.
Overall I am very pleased with this gun.
Thanks for the review! This is my next purchase. Just waiting for Ruger's manufacturing capacity to catch up with demand. Everytime my LGS sends me a "Back in Stock" alert email they are out of stock again by the time I get to the website.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
TxD

Post by TxD »

Don't know why the sound is off.
Click on full screen and turn it on.

https://www.facebook.com/TaranTactical/ ... 978436198/
Black Rifles Matter

G40yes

Post by G40yes »

Thanks for the detailed review, it sounds like a great PCC!!
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Topic author
TxD

Post by TxD »

[quote="Rob72"]From preliminary reading, I thought that 10/22 trigger parts would be interchangeable- are they not? If the pins are the same size, you could drop in a set of shims. With your stoning, that alone should be a vast improvement. I've been watching the PC9 with interest...[/quote]

Parts are similar but different.
For example, the bottom of the hammer that resets the sear/disconnecter is a greater radius on the PC9.
The 10/22 hammer will not fit.
Got my shim kit installed today and with a little more stoning the pull weight is now 3.75 lbs.
Still working on how to do a trigger stop.
Black Rifles Matter

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”