Precision Small Arms only has a 1-year warranty

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 3

Precision Small Arms only has a 1-year warranty

Post by rp_photo »

One year seems awfully short for high-end, hand-built guns, especially with S&W, Taurus, and even Phoenix arms offering lifetime coverage:

http://www.precisionsmallarms.com/index ... t/warranty

I'm sure they have their reasons, but to me it's a red mark.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Abraham

Re: Precision Small Arms only has a 1-year warranty

Post by Abraham »

Even Hi-Point has a life time warranty.

I find your warranty concerns worth considering...

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pushpullpete »

I start this by saying that I know nothing about this company or their product.
The page your link goes to says 'One man still makes every one by hand'. SO.... small company that does not have deep
pockets & focuses on quality (good on them), but, they don't sound like they are very confident in their focus on that quality.
Unfortunately, for me, it does not instill enough confidence for me to look any further. YMMV
:txflag: :patriot:

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

The maintenance schedule instills even less confidence:

http://www.precisionsmallarms.com/index ... t/services
CHL since 2/2011

flechero

Post by flechero »

My take is different.... I wouldn't buy a gun for a warranty- EVER.

High Point, S&W, Taurus, and even Phoenix arms (as mentioned above).. ALL have had some questionable guns and runs in recent history, and all have been the butt end of jokes and stereotypes... for good reason. And thus feel the need to offer a lifetime warranty. The are jokingly referred to as lifetime service policies, not warranties.

A true warranty is to vet out errors in fitting or bad materials- which usually show themselves very quickly. Something like a cracked frame or barrel lug from a lifetime of +P+ ammo isn't a defect- it's abuse. (and ignorance on the part of the shooter/owner) IMO

The old designs of small guns still being made today... I bet they are hard on springs in those cramped shells! However, I bet if you followed the maint. schedule, you'd be fine.

The few I looked at were highly engraved- not something I'd be shooting much.

If it's a gun you would like to own- I wouldn't let a 1 yr. warranty stop me... but if it was a gun you plan to shoot often- learn it INSIDE and out and buy lots of springs!!! :lol:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I always found it ironic that Ruger has no written warranty at all, Just call them up and they pretty much take care of any issues. It's worked well for them and most customers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ET-Ret »

This is my take on PSA They have a stated period. That is to settle the lawyer up for most folks. I own one of the plain models
and I am happy with it I had a problem with the first one and the company had me send it back and sent me a newer one. It is out of the box perfect
In 1968 I bought a baby browning and shot it and I still reload for it and enjoy shooting it. Most people buy these things and put them in a dresser drawer and will never wear it out. Since then I have bought a Look alike called a Bauer it is fine and bought a PSP wich is the same gun now made under PSA. All of these guns except the Bauer are made under Lic from FN they are part for part interchangeable. Even the spring and small
parts from the Bauer are interchangeable. The slide is cut different but will work. Small parts like spring and barrels are plentiful. The gun control
act in 1968 made it impossible for FN to import the baby.
PSA is a very small CO with a lic from FN think 50 years from start. I have talked to the pres of PSA and he is a nice guy and wants his customers to be happy. ( Some people would not be happy if hung with a gold rope)
All togeather I have 6 of these type of guns and used to carry the one from 68 everyday.
My EDC is a Ruger LCP with HPs and is a litte more stick. But I could carry the Baby with HPS and be happy.

Hunting in this day and time a 4" Mod 29 with hps to give the Hogs a run for there money.
Just remember there is not always a sure thing but I always have to remember the fastest thing I have seen was Dehorned J model
from Bill Jordans hip pocket. And he live to die of old age.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Recall when autos came with a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty?

As time progressed, they've since upped that to a minimum of 36 months or 36,000 miles with a choice of an extended warranty.

Think people didn't find (and often needed) that warranty? I know in my own experience in the past 30 plus years, long warranties saved me a ton of moola...

I'm not buying what you're selling if you won't back it up except for the most minimum time possible...not in today's world.

Those who cavilerly dismiss lengthy warranties as minor considerations are quite often in for a rude awakening...

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

It doesn't look like they miss your business.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Rob72,

Ah, ok.

Your optimism is great.

When your AC (in an established vehicle) dies or when some something you never would have considered has gone ka-blooey, tell me again how right you are.

Me, I've had enough variety of things going bad in both domestic and foreign vehicles, I get an extended warranty and not at the dealership.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

bigtek wrote:It doesn't look like they miss your business.
You might have a point if I'm the only one who had reservations about it. Perhaps their production can only keep pace with demand from those who aren't concerned.
CHL since 2/2011

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Well, they are called Precision Small Arms not Reliable Small Arms. :biggrinjester:
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Strike a match and see who's missin'

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

This is a different suggestion .
Go on GunBroker and find and buy a Real Baby made before 1969 and Don't worry about the warranty.
Parts are readly available and you might save a buck. I bought one in 1968 and it shoots and feeds everytime
I pull the trigger. I has seen many miles with one in the chamber and no problems. Today I want something a little
bigger so I moved to a Ruger LCP-1 Everyday carry brings the risk of having to give up the gun for some unknown time
A car wreck could separate you from it and it will probally wind up in a Police pound property room.
I do not have much faith in Property rooms.

I do not know any one who would want to be shot with a 25acp or a 22LR or short.
I have my daddy's 22short Gallery rifle and it kills dead just like you would expect.
Win Pump and I have just about wore it out.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”