I finally came over to the dark side.......

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I finally came over to the dark side.......

Post by Beiruty »

Greybeard wrote:I've had a WASR for a long time, but it's pretty much an ugly safe queen. From prone and using a stump for a rest, I've actually got 3" groups with it at 100 yards with nothing but the open sights. You may want to do some reliability testing with the PMAGs. I had to return some mags so many years ago that I forgot the maker, but mag dealer (at gun show) told me the WASRs don't like much except steel mags.
Soviet Steel mags are plenty and cheap. Bakelite mags are also cool.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... magazines/
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

You could find cheaper deals for the items you bought but you did not get hurt on material value.

I’ve had a Romanian 1063 for years now and it runs and runs. Sounds like you did get an upgrade trigger, and that’s great.

You did good for them and yourself.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So, what I’ve been kicking around, now that it seems like I’ve got a touch of the AK bug, is maybe buying myself an Arsenal SLR107, and giving this WASR to my son. He says he wouldn’t object. :lol: Anybody here own an Arsenal, and have you had a chance to compare it to a WASR, or do you have other specific recommendations besides Arsenal? (Rifle Dynamics is out of my price range.)
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dlh

Post by dlh »

You have a great rifle!

I have the Romanian WASR AK-47 with the wood furniture. Tough as a tank--dependable and accurate too!

Reasonable minds will differ on this and your "mileage will vary depending on your circumstances" but my WASR with 30 round mag. is my go-to home defense rifle in case a gang of 5 heavily armed thugs break through the front door of my home. In that case i don't want a "fair" fight--I want to win.

Do some shooting with it and tell us what you think!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

I have the Arsenal SAM7R, milled receiver, etc. Have nothing bad to say about it. Milled receiver vs stamped receiver, I don't know which is better. Both seem to be popular. Just make sure it has an attachment on the side to add a scope mount. I have never had any problems with my Arsenal.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:A home-build :evil2:
Get thee behind me Satan! :lol:

You might talk me into it when it comes FAL-time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

We faced possible flooding during Hurricane Harvey's assault on the greater Houston area. I thought to myself "if things get wet and muddy, my AK is my go to". Simply bullet proof in poor conditions.

Now, if after the sun came out we had a shooting competition, then one of my ARs would be the accuracy choice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”