Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Wilson Flat Mainspring Conversion Kit

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Springfield Champion Operator .4 ACP I recently purchased came with the double spring recoil system. I detest double recoil springs! I've heard very good reports on flat recoil springs, so I decided to purchase a Wilson Flat-Wire Recoil Spring Kit for 4" compact 1911s. This kit comes with a new recoil spring plug since the standard one will not work with a flat-spring full-length guide rod. (The guide rod must be smaller in diameter.) When converting a 5" gun to flat-spring, you get a standard (short) guide rod, so you don't need a new recoil spring plug.

When I tried to install it, the new recoil spring plug was too short; i.e. it did not go to the front of the slide. I called Wilson and was told that I have to have the slide milled so the recoil spring will fully seat. What! Are you out of your mind!? I'm not about to modify my gun so that I can you only your parts. I took it to my gunsmith and he turned the recoil spring plug on a lathe to remove the excess "collar" so it would fit properly.

I have no idea why Wilson would design the plug to require milling the slide. If I didn't have a pistolsmith, I would have been a very unhappy customer. I do like the system and the flat-springs don't seem to stack as do regular round springs. If they also have the greatly extended service life, then it will be even better.

If you plan to buy this kit, understand what is required to make it work. Be sure to add the cost of modifying the plug to the total cost. Again, a new recoil spring plug is not required for 5" guns.

Chas.

flechero

Re: Wilson Flat Mainspring Conversion Kit

Post by flechero »

Charles,

Any chance you took a before and after pic? I have 2 compact guns (one is the same gun you have) and have considered the Wilson flatwire replacements as a long term solution to the dual spring set up. Curious as to the extent of the mod... pretty sure this is within my ability, but a pic or two would be helpful.

fyi- on the flatwire kits- I have read a lot of reviews stating the service life of the spring has been exaggerated. Even still the springs are not too costly and the performance is said to be much better than a traditional spring.

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghostrider »

thanks for the info, Charles. I was contemplating that kit since I too have heard good things about flat wire springs.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

flechero wrote:Charles,

Any chance you took a before and after pic? I have 2 compact guns (one is the same gun you have) and have considered the Wilson flatwire replacements as a long term solution to the dual spring set up. Curious as to the extent of the mod... pretty sure this is within my ability, but a pic or two would be helpful.

fyi- on the flatwire kits- I have read a lot of reviews stating the service life of the spring has been exaggerated. Even still the springs are not too costly and the performance is said to be much better than a traditional spring.
Sorry, I didn't take any photos, but I'll measure the remaining shoulder and give you that figure. You can compare that to the stock plug.

Chas.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Sound good, thanks!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

flechero wrote:Sound good, thanks!
The "collar" at the rear of the recoil spring plug meaures 0.155" using a dial caliper. Going from memory (dangerous at my age), it was originally about twice that long.

Chas.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
flechero wrote:Sound good, thanks!
The "collar" at the rear of the recoil spring plug meaures 0.155" using a dial caliper. Going from memory (dangerous at my age), it was originally about twice that long.

Chas.
Thanks for checking that. Sounds like a doable job if I can get access to the lathe again.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”