Glock 43 or 26 For A Yard Gun - Opinions?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Glock 43 or 26 For A Yard Gun - Opinions?

Post by Abraham »

What does your analysis say?

Thanks!

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glock 43 or 26 For A Yard Gun - Opinions?

Post by bigtek »

Neither. My analysis says full size.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

For a yard gun with no need to conceal, I'm going with a full size gun.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

bigtek,

I have that covered.

What I want is a yard/house gun that's light and reliable. Digging in the yard, or some other work wearing a full size (I have plenty) is too darn heavy. I have to name just a few aging issues: a bad back, shoulder, etc. Using a chain saw while toting a big old honker of a gun, just isn't something I care to do any longer. So, I seek a gun that's light, reliable and with some capacity. A revolver was suggested. Not enough capacity for me.

Both the 26/43 are both reliable, but between the 2 there's probably one best for my use...maybe.

I tried the Ruger LC9S and it proved unreliable, but was a perfect weight.

So the search continues.

Jose_in_Dallas ,

I carry the gun in a rectangular, zippered pack to keep out the dirt and debris flying about as I work. So, while OC is fine, at the end of the day it's just one more thing to clean...no good. The pack keeps it clean and handy.

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

The G43 is my favorite Glock, but it sounds like the additional capacity of the G26 may be important to you.
FYI, I have been testing the Pearce +1 baseplate with the GlockStore extra power mag spring in my 43 with flawless results so far. 150 rounds of assorted fmj and 80 rounds of gold dot. Will likely become my carry mag.
7+1 feels a little better than 6+1.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Sounds like you want the lightest gun that is reliable. Just go with Glock 43.

allisji

Post by allisji »

I really like the Glock 26. Especially with the Magpul 12 rd PMag. It increases the magazine capacity by 20% and gives the grip just barely enough length to lock the pinky in while only adding about 1/4" overall length to the grip.

That said... I wouldn't expect to need more than your 6+1 capacity Glock 43 while working in the yard, especially considering living on rather secluded property. You may be more likely to use it against a threatening animal than against a human threat, plus it will carry easier in a zippered rectangular case than then slightly bulkier Glock 26.

You could use the extra belt capacity to carry a can of pepper spray or insect killer.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all!

Decisions/Decisions...

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Don't overlook the Sig P365... had some issues out of the gate, but Sig has addressed them. Still very new, so long term reliability is unknown, but 11 rounds in the same size package of the G43 is interesting.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I own Glock 43, 26, 19, and 17 models. I carried the 43 yesterday, but I carry the 26 far more often than either the 43 and the 19. I almost never carry the 17.

If I wanted just one gun for both garden work and EDC, I’d pick the 26. If I wanted a gun just for pottering around in the garden, I’d pick the 43. (I take it you’re not interested in a .357 magnum revolver for that?)

Dimensionally, the 43 and 26 are very similar - the primary difference being that the 26 is a double stack gun to the 43’s single stack, so it’s a little bit wider. The 26’s barrel is exactly 0.03” longer......not a difference that matters. The 26 is 0.16” wider ..... in most cases not enough to matter. In a reversal of trend, the 43 is actually the taller gun, by 0.08”. The critical difference, and the one that will probably matter most to you is weight. The weight difference (per Glock) between the two guns is 4.41 oz. So the question becomes, is an additional 4 rounds of capacity - 10+1 rounds for the 26 versus 6+1 for the 43 - worth the additional 4.41 oz of weight to you?

Keep in mind that +2 and larger magazine exensions are available for both guns’ magazines. I carry my 43 with the stock 6+1 round magazine that comes from the factory with a pinky extender, plus a spare mag to which I’ve added a +2 round extender. I carry my 26 with a +2 pinky extender in the gun (12+1 rounds), and two spare OEM 10-round mags.

So really, it boils down to whether or not you are looking for one gun for EDC including yard duty, or a yard duty only gun, and what your weight requirements are.

But you shouldn’t take my word for the numbers. Look at the individual pages for both models on the Glock website: Glock 26, and Glock 43. All I can tell you is that while I do carry the 43 for occasions when I want to conceal more deeply, or when I want a slimmer gun for reasons of comfort, my EDC really has turned out to be the 26.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

S&W Shield or Glock 43 would both fit the bill for something lightweight and unobtrusive. I carry a Shield myself so I'm partial to that but any of the 9mm single stacks on the market these days would work.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Thanks for your thoughtful and insightful response.

Yeah, I do a lot of work in the yard...it's big.

In the past, I would've never have carried a gun in the house or yard. I never thought such necessary.

Times change...

I've discovered that the weight of the gun on the hip can be a back pain (as time progresses) if a work project is long enough. Like pruning trees or digging or...fill in the blank. Revolvers, I've got two, one black powder and a reliable Ruger SP101 .357 magnum. 5 shots and I'm done. Not acceptable to me. If the feces hits the fan, I want more capacity. What's enough capacity? For me, 11 rounds...minimally with a spare back up loaded magazine.

No, there's no 'perfect' gun for all situations.

Given the world at large has (in my opinion) gone mad, if pro-fa manure heads show up at my abode, breach my gates and fences, I won't hesitate to protect me and mine. If doing so means I may end up exonerated, hallelujah or have to go to jail, (or the funeral home) I'll have the satisfaction knowing I did the right thing.

Yeah, I live in rural Texas, but from what I understand they the Profa types plan to come a-calling.

Call on being received by accurately placed bullets...

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I have owned both the G26 and the G43. I prefer the G43.

I mowed the grass Sunday and almost forgot it was in my front pocket.

Can the OP please define what "Profa" is?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”