Finally found an unfun handgun.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Finally found an unfun handgun.

Post by C-dub »

I do not like my Dad's police .38 Special. That thing kicks like a little tiny powerful mule. The Ruger .44 Magnum he gave me hurts a little less and is more fun to shoot. Because it's a .44 Magnum! However, he says my Mom could shoot that little Special really well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

SRO1911 wrote:Once upon a time I was afflicted with magnum mania, 454 casull, 480 river, 475 Wildey, and more. I loved every one of them, then got into XP100's and savage strikers in 308, 243, 338-08, etc...all of them were cherished and shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds BUT today I have met my match with a pocket pistol.
Bought a S&W 340pd from a friend, he knew I was looking for a hideaway/deep conceal pistol for an upcoming adventure in no man's land and he made a deal I couldn't walk away from.
Scandium framed 11 ounces of 357 magnum nightmare.
For the first time in my adult life, I noped out of another box of ammo.
It actually shoot quite well with hornady 125 critical defense, 5 rds in a cake plate (5ish inch dessert paper plate) at 5, 10 and, 15 yards. Good enough to suit my purpose - but gods help anyone in the immediate vicinity, especially in the dark. It's like a flash bang grenade with teeth.

Just a rambling review - I know these have been around for a little while, but yowza.
You have GOT to read this old thread from TAM.

https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 23&t=40803
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

PBR

Post by PBR »

C-dub wrote:I do not like my Dad's police .38 Special. That thing kicks like a little tiny powerful mule. The Ruger .44 Magnum he gave me hurts a little less and is more fun to shoot. Because it's a .44 Magnum! However, he says my Mom could shoot that little Special really well.
Many years back had a snub nose S&W 38 little pistol was a blast. Was at Pasadena Gun Center and ran out of ammo so friend wanted to shoot it some more so he went and bought a box of ammo from them. He came back and loaded it up handed it to me to shoot I was like oh well lined up and fired a shot and was like holy crap what was that? Little thing almost blew out of my hands and kicked like a full size mule. Turned out he got 38 super auto ammo that was an unpleasant feeling when I knew what the little gun use to and would do.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I bought a Lorcin .380 for $80 from my brother many years ago. (One of my first handguns) Not to brag, but I'm a pretty good shot with almost any gun. There was something wrong with this one. I could not hit the broadside of a barn standing 5 feet away and that is only a slight exaggeration! :banghead: I finally found someone to buy it last year for $100. The only good thing I can say about this gun was I made a $20 profit on it. "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

When I do take mine to the range, it only gets fed .38 for the above reasons. I don't like pain
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Try a lightweight Ruger LCR in .357 will full house 158 grain loads. You will remember the experience.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I have a Ruger SP 101 .357 Magnum.

I shot it 'once' with a .357 magnum round. Unpleasant felt recoil, extremely loud muzzle blast and well...just not fun to shoot.

For ever more, it has been .38 Special loads only. Less recoil and muzzle blast than my G19.

As some of us know, the SP 101 isn't some light weight revolver either and if it recoils like some crew served weapon, I'm gonna pass on the .357 magnum rounds...

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have a 360PD, so basically the same gun as the OP. I can shoot 38 spcl through it all day, but it is a challenge to get more than 10 rounds of 357 mag through it. Although I will say that it is more pleasant to shoot than my recently acquired S&W model 29 in 44 mag. That is definitely my least fun gun / load to shoot. It looks purty though.

strogg

Post by strogg »

I've shot two handguns that gave me pure hell. One is a .454 casull snub-nose with a scandium frame. Nuf said. The second one is a 500 S&W mag from Magnum Research. I created a special load that safely fires a one ounce slug at over 1700fps. I also have an idea for a load for a 700 grain projectile with even more muzzle energy, but I haven't gotten around to making the load yet. I will eventually, and it will be insane. The first 5 shots I ever made were ludicrous. My shooting hand was bruised up, and I was actually bleeding. For a while I thought I had nerve damage because the hand felt funny for a while afterwards. Since then, I've gotten thick shooting gloves. Much better now. I'll be honest, though; I'm still scared to shoot it. But that explosion sound it makes is very satisfying, so I still shoot it. Although I think I enjoy it more when other people try my gun.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SRO1911 wrote:Once upon a time I was afflicted with magnum mania, 454 casull, 480 river, 475 Wildey, and more. I loved every one of them, then got into XP100's and savage strikers in 308, 243, 338-08, etc...all of them were cherished and shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds BUT today I have met my match with a pocket pistol.
Bought a S&W 340pd from a friend, he knew I was looking for a hideaway/deep conceal pistol for an upcoming adventure in no man's land and he made a deal I couldn't walk away from.
Scandium framed 11 ounces of 357 magnum nightmare.
For the first time in my adult life, I noped out of another box of ammo.
It actually shoot quite well with hornady 125 critical defense, 5 rds in a cake plate (5ish inch dessert paper plate) at 5, 10 and, 15 yards. Good enough to suit my purpose - but gods help anyone in the immediate vicinity, especially in the dark. It's like a flash bang grenade with teeth.

Just a rambling review - I know these have been around for a little while, but yowza.
Dude, you should have done your research! READ THIS. I could have saved you the heart ache ...... and the hand ache..... "rlol"

Edited to add: I see that Pawpaw beat me to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SRO1911 wrote:Took it to a friends saturday, we put a box of 158 wwb mags through it and a few boxes of various 38 specials betwixt his lcr and mine. After a few cylinders full its not so bad...the numbness allowed for a much steadier grip. Ill be sticking with the 125 critical defense for carry.
BTW - I now have feeling in my pinky, I am hoping the rest of my hand will wake up soon.
Exactly. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Abraham wrote:I have a Ruger SP 101 .357 Magnum.

I shot it 'once' with a .357 magnum round. Unpleasant felt recoil, extremely loud muzzle blast and well...just not fun to shoot.

For ever more, it has been .38 Special loads only. Less recoil and muzzle blast than my G19.

As some of us know, the SP 101 isn't some light weight revolver either and if it recoils like some crew served weapon, I'm gonna pass on the .357 magnum rounds...
What loading? SP101 was designed for 125 gr JHP. I find mine a little energetic, compared to say my 4" 686, but still able to place my shots and recover well for followup shot(s).
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”