Electronic Ear Protection

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Electronic Ear Protection

Post by SQLGeek »

I use the Howard Leights also and really like them. I don't shoot indoor much but when I do, I double up with plugs.

I bought them in 2012 or so and they have been running strong ever since. I even use them for yardwork so I can listen to music.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grundy1133 »

lots of good info here. Thanks! Since i'll be mainly indoor shooting handguns, I'll go with the Pro model and double up with ear plugs. thanks for all the good responses!
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks to everyone who posted information on muffs. I have long been a fan of the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs and I've recommended them to many people. I need to either stop doing that, or warn them that they may not fit everyone. If we're at the Club, then I can let them try my extra pair, but I need to stop my blind recommendations.

The primary thing I like about the Impact Sport is the design of the top band. Most muffs have a continuous arc while the Impact Sport have a flat section in the center. This greatly reduces the vice-effect on my ears so I can wear them much longer without pain. The top band is why I never tried the Leight Pro muffs.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Chas.

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

carlson1 wrote:Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff are great.

Probably cheaper with Amazon or others.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/IMPACT- ... lsrc=aw.ds
I just got a pair of these from "an auction site" last night. Best $32 I've ever spent on ear pro...........

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Noise level (decibels) is not linear. The difference in 20NRR and 33NRR is significant. ie 110Db -20 vs -33. I use Howard Leight Impact Sports when I shoot outdoors and add foam ear plugs when I'm at an indoor range. I'm hard of hearing, but I can hear conversations even with the ear plugs with the Impact Sports. I have a another pair of Howard Leights that are too big to use the long guns and they are heavier. I don't remember the model- may be the Pro, but I don't like them. Also have a pair of Peltors that I didn't like, can't recall the model, but they were about double the price of the Leights. Have a couple of pairs of Caldwell electronics I bought to lend anyone who comes along with no protection. And several pairs of kid size passive muffs along with kids eye protection for the grandchildren. I almost bought a pair of the Walker Razor behind the electronic ear plugs, but I tried some on at the Cabela's in Fort Worth and couldn't keep the plugs snugly inside my ear canal.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote:Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff are great.

Probably cheaper with Amazon or others.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/IMPACT- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Amazon $34.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Am ... B001T7QJ9O
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Someone mentioned these a few post up. I have a pair and sometimes use them when shooting outside. I also like these too. On sale at Grabagun.
https://grabagun.com/walkers-gwp-slcr-r ... ly%20Email

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I've done all of my rifle shooting with triple-flange ear plugs that my uncle gave me. I used the same plugs when firing my M109 155mm howitzer.

These days, I am only shooting 9mm handguns. The Howard Leight Impact Pro works well for me and my wife. Loud noises can trigger a migraine attack for her, so the NRR of 33 is important.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Am ... +pro&psc=1

When I start shooting rifles again, I'll probably use the Howard Leight Impact Sport. This model is the first I used and I was very impressed with it.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

same question for you. pro or sport? 30NRR vs 22 NRR
If you don't envision using them for rifle or shotgun use where the extra depth could cause issues with a good cheek weld, the higher reduction rating is a good way to go. For general use including long guns, I'd suggest the lower noise reduction and supplement as needed with plugs.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grundy1133 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:
same question for you. pro or sport? 30NRR vs 22 NRR
If you don't envision using them for rifle or shotgun use where the extra depth could cause issues with a good cheek weld, the higher reduction rating is a good way to go. For general use including long guns, I'd suggest the lower noise reduction and supplement as needed with plugs.
I went with the Pro model that has the 30NRR. I dont plan on shooting long rifles and th erange i go to is indoors. need as much protection as possible
NRA Member

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

I recently (last year) purchased some Surefire ear protection.

https://www.gtdist.com/surefire-ep7-son ... nders.html
And
https://www.gtdist.com/surefire-ep5-son ... r-max.html

Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter.

They are much more comfortable then the Howard Leights or peltors that I have. And I can wear a wide brimmed hat without any issues.

I do double up at indoor ranges, just because I can. But when shooting my rifles, I can take the outer layer off and still be fine.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I really like the sports i have, but I also shoot only outdoors. I know you said you don't plan on using them for long guns, so you may never need this but i can't fire my ar while looking through the scope without pushing the muff off my ear with the stock. I have tried a couple of stocks and have high mounts and it always pushes them off. I have to use regular plugs for it, my 700 bolt action they work fine though.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mescobar_rpls wrote:I recently (last year) purchased some Surefire ear protection.

https://www.gtdist.com/surefire-ep7-son ... nders.html
And
https://www.gtdist.com/surefire-ep5-son ... r-max.html

Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter.

They are much more comfortable then the Howard Leights or peltors that I have. And I can wear a wide brimmed hat without any issues.

I do double up at indoor ranges, just because I can. But when shooting my rifles, I can take the outer layer off and still be fine.
I have the EP7s and I also bought them so I could wear a wide brim hat. I like them, but after about an hour or so, I have to take them out. That's fine when practicing, but not in a match.

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I just got my wife a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs in teal. Got them from Walmart.com for $40, including tax, delivered right to the door with no shipping charge.

Of course, then I had order her a matching range bag. ;-)

I have a set in of the Howard Leight's in OD and they are really good. I normally wear a set of Peltor Tac Sport muffs https://www.opticsplanet.com/peltor-tac ... 00000.html They are a little better on blocking outside noise as well as being louder on amplification of regular sounds for my hearing loss, but they are fatter and interfere with shooting long guns, so that's when I use the Howard Leight's.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”