Revolvers

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 1

Revolvers

Post by ml1209 »

I like them because I don't have to worry about ejected shells hitting me, even though I still like my semi-autos. Anyone really prefer revolvers?

LDB415

Re: Revolvers

Post by LDB415 »

Lots easier to reclaim your brass too.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Sure, at the range.

I wouldn't carry one for self defense except as a B.U.G.

No longer do police departments/military equip their guys with revolvers, they use semi-autos.

Ever wonder why...?

Psssst, Hint: It ain't for the cool new look.

There's a practical reason.

Of course, if anyone cares to carry a 5/6 shot revolver as their self defense weapon, good luck to you.

I wish you well.

ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ET-Ret »

The subject of giving some else my brass just tick's me off. Some don't care and if they can live with
it that is ok. I wont normaly give it up . I keep some good rev just so that brass goes back in the box it came out of.
ET-ret

I have been reloading a bit since 1959 . CHL brought me to also have some semi autos.

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

Did any one every here of No Second Place winners And Fast and Fancy Rev shooting and Jerry M.
and The first man to kill another man with a 44Mag The unrepent sinner?

The fastest thing I ever saw was a J model out of the hip pocket of BJ at UTA Armory
How many of the Semiauto people cas hit a asprin tablet from a draw.

ET-ret

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I like revolvers and I still carry them from time to time. I sometimes pocket carry a S&W 642. I also carry a S&W M66 2 1/2" barrel in a belt slide holster. I will always carry either a speedloader or speed strips for a reload.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Abraham wrote:No longer do police departments/military equip their guys with revolvers, they use semi-autos.
Ever wonder why...?
I suppose because semi-auto pistols have a larger capacity, reload faster, and are easier to learn to shoot accurately by the average recruit. Point well taken. I accept having to carry multiple revolvers and to practice a lot to shoot them well. But that's ok, because I enjoy carrying and shooting my revolver collection. Cheers.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

strogg

Post by strogg »

Revolvers are fun. I personally like single action models more. It just gives me more satisfaction that I'm in control of almost every aspect of shooting. From feeding the cylinder, to pulling back the hammer, to watching the hammer fall and striking the firing pin, then manually taking the spent casing out to feed it a freshly handloaded cartridge to fire again. It's akin to my like of cars with manual transmissions, where I feel like I have more control over how the car drives and behaves. Revolvers have a place in my heart, and life would be better off if I had more of them. On my list are a 45-70, 45 colt, and a .357 magnum. All SA. Now will I carry them? No, probably never. Just like how my daily drivers both have automatic transmissions. Nowadays, cars with torque converters aren't any less reliable or slower than cars with a manual gearbox.

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

I don't "prefer" them but I own two and carry one, because at this stage in my development, I simply have more confidence with it. It may not be the choice of the highly-skilled, but I don't pretend to be highly skilled.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I like revolvers way more than semi autos. But I carry an auto mainly because I don’t have to carry as many reloads. That being said I do carry a revolver from time to time. I even carry one of my single actions every now and again for grins. I am naturally a better shot with a revolver but I am now just as good with my autos. There’s an old saying “ I’d rather have six for sure than ten maybes”. Single actions are my favorite. My ruger vaquero with a 4 5/8’s inch barrel in 357 is my absolute favorite I own. There’s something about the clicking of the hammer coming back when you cock it and that sweet crisp break on the trigger.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I still enjoy competing with revolvers. Heavily influenced by Bill Jordan, Miculek (I know who McGivern is, but that's a bit before my time), Thell Reed, and others....
Got my start in USPSA with an S&W 586 4".
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I carry one for sd when I find myself wearing athletic pants that have elastic waist bands.

Every once and a while it doubles as a bug.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My bedside gun right now is a revolver. It is a S&W TRR8 loaded with 8 rounds of .357 mag. This replaced a semi that has a 18+1 capacity in 9mm. My decision was based on a couple factors, the primary one being ease of use and a simple manual of arms. My wife is sometimes home alone and I want things to be as simple as possible. Under the bedside safe is a skinny long safe that has a Tavor and a KSG, just in case I need more than 8 rounds. I think I am pretty well prepared, all things considered.

My EDC is either a 1911 or a CZ P01. But I almost always have a J frame in my car just in case I need to make a quick run somewhere that I need / want deep concealment. I also have a Shockwave sitting in the passenger seat well, again, just in case I need some additional firepower.

I think revolvers definitely have their uses. They are reliable even if you don't clean them much. The manual of arms is as simple as it gets, especially for clearing a malfunction, and 5 - 8 rounds of .357 magnum is decent firepower. Reloads are also comparable to a semi in timing, if you get the right speed loaders. I prefer the kind where you just push the speed loader into the cylinder and don't have to turn any little knobs, etc. Are revolvers the right tool for every person and every situation? Of course not. Nothing is. But they do have their uses.

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

We don't see much glass broke any more in the shows and demos.
In my minds eye I remember Thell Reed breaking 2 Bottles thrown by him in mid air. He was a show piece for Mr Gene Autry' rodeo shows.
His daddy put 1000 rounds a week in the boy's shooting. He is an old man today but I would not want to shoot against him for the Cokes.
Charles Askins said McGivern could not do what he claimed, but Time marches on and no man stands in the way.
McGivern was a show man by his own writing.
Thell Reed went into the Marines ( I don'tknow)
Bill Jordan and Askins were for real and Askins said some like them developed a taste for killing men.
We still have a problem with our mil for that reason.
ET-ret

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have four and occasionally carry a Ruger LCR 38 sp. I carry this open when snakes are a concern with #9 shot for my first round only as recoil in such a lightweight will shift the shot capsule on any subsequent rounds. Also, if carried in a jacket pocket this gun can be shot through a jacket pocket although I have never tried. No bending to get my brass. I couldn't handle this in 357 or even +p38 though in my LCR.

I like revolvers. Fun to shoot.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”