Revolvers

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Revolvers

Post by twomillenium »

I carry a revolver when I think I may be in a hurry to leave, then all I have to worry about is getting all the fingerprints in the wipedown. :leaving
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

ntexaschl

Post by ntexaschl »

carlson1 wrote:I like revolvers and I still carry them from time to time. I sometimes pocket carry a S&W 642. I also carry a S&W M66 2 1/2" barrel in a belt slide holster. I will always carry either a speedloader or speed strips for a reload.

:iagree:

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm still in the woods and brush quite a bit, as much as I need to retire, so I'm devoted to carrying a 3" SP-101 5-6 days a week. I like to shoot it so much that it's responsible for me taking up reloading 7 years ago. I have full faith in the 5 shots of .357 mag since I don't work in a war zone. Social outings and Sunday going to church I do carry a bottom feeder IWB, bit still have a j-frame tucked in the top of my left boot.

Yep, I do like revolvers.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

Abraham wrote: No longer do police departments/military equip their guys with revolvers, they use semi-autos.
Ever wonder why...?
Psssst, Hint: It ain't for the cool new look.
There's a practical reason.
Of course, if anyone cares to carry a 5/6 shot revolver as their self defense weapon, good luck to you.
I wish you well.
I am not a soldier or a cop. It is not my job to go looking for bad people, nor my obligation to chase after any that I may encounter. If I do encounter trouble, and running away is an option, then I am free to do so. So, my situation is quite a bit different than that of police officers or combat troops. I also don’t use, buy, or sell drugs, or deal with street gangs, which further greatly reduces my chance of needing a 15 round magazine to defend myself.

But I was a victim of both an armed robbery and an attempted car-jacking when I was a teenager, and I don’t think I’m naive. I think the most likely situation I might encounter where deadly force would be needed would be a car-jacking or armed robbery in a parking lot, fast food restaurant, gas station, etc. In such a situation, the BG will probably already have a weapon drawn, and if fighting is my only option, then the reliability and simplicity of a revolver will be an advantage. I can easily carry a J-frame or LCR anywhere I go, and draw and fire them quickly. Terms like “FTF”, “FTE”, and “stove pipe” aren’t in the revolver owner’s vocabulary. In my years of shooting, I have had scores of malfunctions with semi-auto pistols, but only one (ammo related - bad primer) failure with a revolver, which I quickly recovered from by simply pulling the trigger again.

I agree that a 15+ round pistol is the right tool for military and law enforcement. But I feel that an easily carryable, extremely reliable, small revolver is the best tool for my situation. Every firearm choice is a compromise of size, weight, capacity, accuracy, reliability, etc. For my lifestyle and environment, I believe that a revolver is often the best compromise for me. Different situations call for different compromises and solutions. Of course, nothing is certain, and I wish others well with their choices.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”