Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 4

Background check?

Post by Killadocg23 »

Hey guys,

Just wondering when ever some one does a back ground check , does the weapon/s a person own show up during the back ground check?

Also would the CHL show up on the back ground check?

Thanks

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Background check?

Post by skeathley »

If the BG check is prior to getting a CHL, then no, CHL does not appear. Guns also do not appear, as the State has no idea what guns you own.

When a LEO runs your DL, the CHL does appear.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

skeathley wrote:If the BG check is prior to getting a CHL, then no, CHL does not appear. Guns also do not appear, as the State has no idea what guns you own.

When a LEO runs your DL, the CHL does appear.

Thank you sir ! Just was curious if It would say "This person owns a weapon during back ground check."

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

The only firearm info included in a background check, is, whether it is a hand gun or long gun. No other info is included I.e. brand, model, serial number etc. That info is on the 4473 form, which is kept by the FFL dealer, but not submitted to NICS.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

Depends on what you mean by "background check". If you mean the NICS check when you buy a gun, then no all it has is data from the national crime information computer (NCIC) about arrests, convictions, charges pending, etc. For a Texas LTC, they run a NICS check and a fingerprint check of AFIS run by the FBI. Presumably they also review the Texas state database of arrests/convictions too. But none of these have a record of whether you own a gun.

I've seen some commercial background checks (ChoicePoint) that some companies use and they have information that somehow "escaped" from some state records. Originally, Florida CWL data was not protected and when I ordered a report on myself, it said "may have Florida Concealed Weapon License".

But unless you have lived in a state that requires firearm registration, I'm not sure where there would be any record of you owning a certain gun. Maybe the NSA and CIA collect all our phone calls and credit card records in some giant super secret database, but I doubt they'd be happy to announce the details of said database in order to "out" you for owning an AR15. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

ScottDLS wrote:Depends on what you mean by "background check". If you mean the NICS check when you buy a gun, then no all it has is data from the national crime information computer (NCIC) about arrests, convictions, charges pending, etc. For a Texas LTC, they run a NICS check and a fingerprint check of AFIS run by the FBI. Presumably they also review the Texas state database of arrests/convictions too. But none of these have a record of whether you own a gun.

I've seen some commercial background checks (ChoicePoint) that some companies use and they have information that somehow "escaped" from some state records. Originally, Florida CWL data was not protected and when I ordered a report on myself, it said "may have Florida Concealed Weapon License".

But unless you have lived in a state that requires firearm registration, I'm not sure where there would be any record of you owning a certain gun. Maybe the NSA and CIA collect all our phone calls and credit card records in some giant super secret database, but I doubt they'd be happy to announce the details of said database in order to "out" you for owning an AR15. :biggrinjester:
LOL thanks man. I am doing a check through United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. I just was curious what all would come up during a Background check.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

If its for working for USCIS it will probably be a "Public Trust" clearance, kind of like a DoD security clearance. When I've been through (both) they never asked about guns, nor would they have any way of knowing other than my registered NFA items. If you're not a citizen and applying for a visa status change or something, I still don't think it would come up. If sponsoring someone for a US visa (spouse, relative)...I don't think so. Global Entry....no...it won't come up. :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

ScottDLS wrote:If its for working for USCIS it will probably be a "Public Trust" clearance, kind of like a DoD security clearance. When I've been through (both) they never asked about guns, nor would they have any way of knowing other than my registered NFA items. If you're not a citizen and applying for a visa status change or something, I still don't think it would come up. If sponsoring someone for a US visa (spouse, relative)...I don't think so. Global Entry....no...it won't come up. :lol:
Thanks man. I am applying to change my status to permanent resident. I have my LTC (class was for free so i took the offer) and I have a rifle and go hunting. I just was curious if these show up on a background check. Thanks for answering my question !

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Killadocg23 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:If its for working for USCIS it will probably be a "Public Trust" clearance, kind of like a DoD security clearance. When I've been through (both) they never asked about guns, nor would they have any way of knowing other than my registered NFA items. If you're not a citizen and applying for a visa status change or something, I still don't think it would come up. If sponsoring someone for a US visa (spouse, relative)...I don't think so. Global Entry....no...it won't come up. :lol:
Thanks man. I am applying to change my status to permanent resident. I have my LTC (class was for free so i took the offer) and I have a rifle and go hunting. I just was curious if these show up on a background check. Thanks for answering my question !
Congrats...They’ll have no way of knowing unless they ask...and if the CIS officer is from Texas it would be a plus :lol: .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”