S&W what are you now?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

S&W what are you now?

Post by cmgee67 »

I was thinking about this today. S&W started out mainly as a revovler company but now they are heavy into the polymer pistol / tactical side of things. Are they a revovler company who makes semi autos or just a gun manufacturer now? I think they are just catering to whatever is hot at the time. If revolvers were still the main EDC that’s what they would be focusing on. Although there performance center revolvers like the 586 L comp is sweet.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: S&W what are you now?

Post by Oldgringo »

cmgee67 wrote:I was thinking about this today. S&W started out mainly as a revovler company but now they are heavy into the polymer pistol / tactical side of things. Are they a revovler company who makes semi autos or just a gun manufacturer now? I think they are just catering to whatever is hot at the time. If revolvers were still the main EDC that’s what they would be focusing on. Although there performance center revolvers like the 586 L comp is sweet.
It's late, your point/question?

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Oldgringo wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:I was thinking about this today. S&W started out mainly as a revovler company but now they are heavy into the polymer pistol / tactical side of things. Are they a revovler company who makes semi autos or just a gun manufacturer now? I think they are just catering to whatever is hot at the time. If revolvers were still the main EDC that’s what they would be focusing on. Although there performance center revolvers like the 586 L comp is sweet.
It's late, your point/question?
i think he was just pondering. if they are manufacturing what is popular, i dont blame em. make a popular item and slaes go up. it worked for me. i have a M&P .40 and i love it! lol.
NRA Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I am sorry I posted past your bed time “Old” Gringo! Nah I am just messing with you. :biggrinjester:

Just a fun topic to ponder and discuss.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't think Smith & Wesson would be around if they had to depend on revolver only sales. On the other hand there is Ruger who started life as a semi-auto maker.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

S&W is simply a gun manufacturer that follows market trends. They all do it. Look at Colt - also formerly known as a revolver company - making most of its bones for the last 100 years on 1911 pistols, and AR15 rifles. It works in reverse too...... Kimber used to be known as a 1911 pistol and high end bolt action rifle manufacturer, and is now also making revolvers. Mossberg, the shotgun people, now make bolt action rifles and AR15s. Etc., etc., etc. S&W is no different.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:S&W is simply a gun manufacturer that follows market trends. They all do it. Look at Colt - also formerly known as a revolver company - making most of its bones for the last 100 years on 1911 pistols, and AR15 rifles. It works in reverse too...... Kimber used to be known as a 1911 pistol and high end bolt action rifle manufacturer, and is now also making revolvers. Mossberg, the shotgun people, now make bolt action rifles and AR15s. Etc., etc., etc. S&W is no different.
It isn't only gun manufacturers doing this. Starbucks was once only a purveyor of coffee whereas now not only do they sell coffee but tasty pastries and sandwiches and whatnot. McDonald's menu is decidedly diverse compared to their roots as burger & fries joint. Eric Clapton used to be a hardcore rock & roller and now he mostly plays acoustic sets. It's a crazy world for sure.

apostate

Post by apostate »

warnmar10 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:S&W is simply a gun manufacturer that follows market trends. They all do it. Look at Colt - also formerly known as a revolver company - making most of its bones for the last 100 years on 1911 pistols, and AR15 rifles. It works in reverse too...... Kimber used to be known as a 1911 pistol and high end bolt action rifle manufacturer, and is now also making revolvers. Mossberg, the shotgun people, now make bolt action rifles and AR15s. Etc., etc., etc. S&W is no different.
It isn't only gun manufacturers doing this. Starbucks was once only a purveyor of coffee whereas now not only do they sell coffee but tasty pastries and sandwiches and whatnot. McDonald's menu is decidedly diverse compared to their roots as burger & fries joint. Eric Clapton used to be a hardcore rock & roller and now he mostly plays acoustic sets. It's a crazy world for sure.
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it I can't say. People just liked it better that way.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

apostate wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it I can't say. People just liked it better that way.
"rlol" :smilelol5:

Yeah, and the American continent was “the new world”...... :bigear:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

apostate wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
I think the reason was that "Amsterdam" took up too much space on Tee Shirts or had to use too small a font and "York" was easier to fit into songs. Also, Stickers that say "I Love NA" would be confusing. :woohoo
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

apostate wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
I don't think the British liked the name.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Well technically, any of the gun makers that have been around since the 1800s started with revolvers if they made handguns. :lol:

Smith and Wesson has been making semi-autos in some form since 1913, so they're not exactly new to the bottom feeder world. They've been making polymer pistols since 2005.

Like any company interested in survival, they have to evolve to stay competitive. I think they've done pretty well all things considered.
Psalm 91:2

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

S&W is the company that received quite a bit of dollars from me over the last three years!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This also applies to politicians. Trump was once a democrat, then a republican, then a ......... actually I'm not sure what he is now.

The democrats were once the party of white supremacy and defending slavery at all costs, then they were the party of civil rights for blacks. Now they are the party of ensuring that all minorities stay oppressed so they can have effective campaign talking points. They do the same thing with women, of course. They are actually pretty darned good at it.

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

I have 10 different Beretta firearms, and not even one is the arquebus they got their start in 1526 making barrels for. Why they had to go and change production types I'll never know, but glad they did.

Since we're just blabbing, I've got 7 S&W firearms, 4 Semi-auto centerfires, a semi-auto rimfire, an AR15, and only 1 revolver. The revolver, a 9mm 940, they only made from 1993-1996.

Why can't they just make up their minds for Pete's sake?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”